Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
    Mike Judge, Broken Lizard Troupe. Lynch's best was Dune ('84) IMO.

I like Creepy Cronenberg too, chk out Naked Lunch. Videodrome is a cult classic, James Woods puts the VHS tape into his abdomen, good times. Creepier than John Carpenter.
    my sig = videodrome :)

I enjoy Cronenberg too, but prefer Lynch's style. Dune is probably on the bottom of the list for me, behind Erasherhead, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Mulholland Dr and even Inland Empire. I guess i am a fan of weird, and movies where you have to drop your guard, which Brent is too cool for.

Comment

• Is Prince of Persia gonna be any good? I don't know why, but I can't watch Jake Gyllenhal without thinking emo Donnie Darko, or homosexual Brokeback Mountain...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
        Is Prince of Persia gonna be any good? I don't know why, but I can't watch Jake Gyllenhal without thinking emo Donnie Darko, or homosexual Brokeback Mountain...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
          Is Prince of Persia gonna be any good? I don't know why, but I can't watch Jake Gyllenhal without thinking emo Donnie Darko, or homosexual Brokeback Mountain...
          Off topic, but Brokeback Mountain is a really good movie. I think I'm going to watch it tonight or tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
            I think he might be right on Antichrist.
            The NPR review of Antichrist earlier today was awesome. And Chaos...reigns might be my favorite scene of the year.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
            JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
            Originally posted by abaddon41_80
            Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
            Originally posted by JBCX
            Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• People either hate Antichrist or love it, I'll make up my own mind tonight.

Here's what Ebert said:

The performances by Dafoe and Gainsbourg are heroic and fearless...And if you can think beyond what he shows to what he implies, it's depth are frightening...

Comment

• Originally posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
                my sig = videodrome :)

I enjoy Cronenberg too, but prefer Lynch's style. Dune is probably on the bottom of the list for me, behind Erasherhead, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Mulholland Dr and even Inland Empire. I guess i am a fan of weird, and movies where you have to drop your guard, which Brent is too cool for.
                I admit it, I never got Inland Empire or U-Turn. Got p/o Mulholland Drive, the film that introed Nicole Kidman's HS BF Naomi Watts to Hollywood. Lynch's strobe lights always gives viewers a migraines. Ever notice all his films have a closeup shot of a cigarette being lit by a match in slomo?

Eraserhead & Elephant Man benefited greatly from the b&w for creepy atmosphere. Dune featured his stock retinue of actors, incl. Grace Zabriskie, Kyle MacLachlan, the late Jack Vance (title role in Eraserhead), Sherilyn Fenn, like in Wild At Heart & of course the top of the Lynch heap, sorry I forgot it b/c it's a TV series, Twin Peaks, & the sequel film Fire Walk With Me, with Sheryl Lee as Laura Palmer who looked great naked. Loved me some One-Eyed Jacks, the Owl Cave, the backwards-speaking dwarf & the Log Lady. Twin Peaks became an overnight cult classic.

The Dennis Hopper villain in Blue Velvet is modern cinema evil classic character, sucking on that cylinder of gas, all sneering intimidation.

Just loved Nicholas Cage as Sailor in Wild at Heart: This whole world is wild at heart & crazy on top!
                Last edited by LizardState; 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                  To host the Oscars now you have to be a lesbian with a recent publicly broadcast *** wedding with Ellen Degeneres & Rosie O'Donnell as bridesmaids with 3-4 adopted children from 3rd World countries.

I too thought Stewart's Oscar ceremonies were funny, but the Academy disagreed, they prefer Jay Leno/Letterman-type bellylaugh pedestrian humor.

Note that most Academy voting members are very very old, explains why Clint ******* Eastwood keeps getting anointed as a "genius" & winning Best Picture while Scorsese or The Dark Knight gets screwed. Or Bollywood extravaganzas like Slumdog, hey to win an Oscar it has to be box office-bankable, to hell with the content, it's all about the benjamins

I would like a Ben Stiller-hosted Oscars too, Adam Baldwin, Joel McHale, even Stephen Colbert, but never Adam Sandler. I agree with APS, Bill Murray is the only surviving SNL member who should host the Oscars.
                  Was that a shot at Slumdog? It was an amazing movie that totally deserved all it has won.

Comment

• Slumdog was a great movie, was overrated however.

Originally posted by WMD
                    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                    Originally posted by gpngc
                    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                      Slumdog was a great movie, was overrated however.
                      Indeed. I dont even think I had it in my top 5 from last year. Just one of those classic underdog stories that gets really hyped as it grows from limited release to national release. That said, it was a great movie. But In Bruges, Synechdoche, New York, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button were all head and shoulders better, and I had a few other movies rated just as good if not better then Slumdog. Im a huge Boyle fan, but that wasnt even his best movie IMO.
                      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                      The APS is strong in this one.
                      Originally posted by killxswitch
                      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Slumdog was my 2nd favorite movie last year so I had no problem with it winning. Would have preferred TDK but that's okay.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• In burges was such an enjoyable movie. Didnt get around to finishing Button but very well done as well. I actually thought TDK was better than Slumdog, but thats just because I'm a batman fan.

Originally posted by WMD
                          Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                          Originally posted by gpngc
                          I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Such a funny movie.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                            JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                            Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                            Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                            Originally posted by JBCX
                            Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Really late, but I just saw the trailer for Gentleman Bronco. Hated both Nacho Libre and Napoleon Dynamite, but the cast in GB alone may persuade me to at least give it a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                                Really late, but I just saw the trailer for Gentleman Bronco. Hated both Nacho Libre and Napoleon Dynamite, but the cast in GB alone may persuade me to at least give it a shot.
                                It got absolutely atrocious reviews. I dont think I heard a single good thing about it. I was kinda looking forward to it as well, as a huge FOTC fan and obviously Sam Rockwell.
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information