Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
    If you take away the dystopian overtones and fascist nature of the rulers V is still a solid story of revenge for a man who had everything taken away from him and the innocent who gets sucked into his plot. The Matrix is just a plotless action movie if you take away the "matrix" aspect.
    Got to agree with our Citizen Kane cinema classicist perspective here. There is precious little character development in The Matrix characters, the Wochowski Bros. rely on the Look & Feel of the film from its black leather trenchcoats & CG antagonists in dark glasses with grandiose actions scenes where characters can fly & martial arts fu the crap out of overwhelming odds of attacker clones created by the 3-D illustrator developer hitting the Ctrl + D keys too often -- Let's just say those elaborate CG fight scenes were a joke, especially in the 2nd & 3rd Matrices. Only the scenes of the resistance fighters eluding those crustaceanlike robohunters in their liquid hideout (maybe stolen from Fantastic Voyage circa 1967) & the scenes of millions of people used as matrix powerplants in vitro that linked to the jacked-in concept were visually enjoyable for me & lent believable creedance to its fantastic plot.

The Wochowski Bros. can do character development very well if given a chance, as in Bound, which was very diminutive dyke Gina Gershon's best performance ever. (OK, maybe she really isn't ***, but she sure plays a lot of lesbians on screen for a straight woman) And John Hurt's Guy Fawkes character in V was a multidimensional suffering People's Hero who owed a lot to the Phantom of the Opera complete with mask, Hurt is terribly underrated, a superb character actor & has delivered in everything I've ever seen him do.

The Wochowski Bros. make a lot of CG-reliant, superficial eye candy films of high visual quality that directly relates to their megabux box office, but a lot more character substance is needed to qualify as great films.

And Point Break, My Own Private Idaho & River's Edge were Keanu's best performances. A Scanner Darkly had its moments but it's a Linklater rotoscoped film like Waking Life full of retinally blurred swimming images so it was hard to judge (like all Philip Dick novels morphed into movies, solid script & paranoid atmosphere), he & Robert Downey Jr. shone through & were good. Keanu was awful in Bram Stoker's Dracula (that phony British accent, uggh!), in Speed in an action role, in a romantic lead in the Sweet November remake, & yes even as a washed up QB in the Replacements which was an elaborate music video tweaked a bit here & there with a a hackneyed semi-plotline of the QB falling for the hot cheerleader & a checkbook performance from Hackman (he said in an interview that he owed >$3M a yr. to an ex-wife in alimony so he couldn't turn down any offers no matter how bad) to make it into a stereotyped underdogs winning out sports film. And he was as noted also bad in Much Ado, casting Keanu in Shakespeare is like putting a pair of fuzzy dice on a rearview mirror in a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost.

If Larry Fishburne didnt have acne scars he would have enjoyed a much greater career as a leading man
    Last edited by LizardState; 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• I watched "Interview with a Vampire" for the first time probably since it came out I had forgot how whacked Tom Cruise was in it and how well Kirsten Dunst held her own next to some huge stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
        And he was as noted also bad in Much Ado
        I believe they casted him on purpose. Much Ado is a comedy, and his lack of acting talent was played up so well, it was so funny.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• That's a much better movie than Point Break. Keanu's best movie right there.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• I hated Devil's Advocate

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
              I hated Devil's Advocate
              I don't know if I'd go that far but it was very mediocre.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
              Originally posted by JBCX
              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• The only justifiable reason to watch Devil's Advocate is for Charlize Theron.

Comment

• Apparently a lot of people want to see Taylor Lautner half naked since New Moon made 141 million. It came close to The Dark Knight's total.

Comment

• It beat the Dark Knight's single day total. Teenage girls continue to have horrible taste.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
                      Apparently a lot of people want to see Taylor Lautner half naked since New Moon made 141 million. It came close to The Dark Knight's total.
                      It got 20 bucks from me already and about to get 20 more tonight.

New Moon round 2.

Thank Goodness I love my wife

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                        It beat the Dark Knight's single day total. Teenage girls continue to have horrible taste.
                        Titanic wasn't a bad movie at all. Twilight on the other hand...

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          It beat the Dark Knight's single day total. Teenage girls continue to have horrible taste.
                          We have lost the battle gentleman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                            We really really have.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

But we won the War.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

yea but we know better

Comment

Working...
                                X