No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth is that almost any video game movie that's done in Hollywood is going to have to be rated Pg-13, including God of War.

Comment

• Meh...I'm sure if Zack Snyder got his hands on God of War it wouldnt be PG 13. If that movie ever gets made, there is no way you could make it PG 13.

I dont even know the status of it anymore, though. David Self wrote up a script and Bret Ratner (ugh) was attached for like a month before passing on it because, he didnt think he was a good fit.

An R rated video game movie could def. work if it was actually good. It's not much different than say a graphic novel, like Watchmen being made and having good success. You have your built in fan base of dudes and then a good trailer will attract the rest.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• I contend that Watchmen was a good movie, but it's plot also wasn't propelled by snatching harpies out of the air with axes on chains and then ripping their wings off. So, yeah, it's hugely different than a graphic novel. One is a story you view (just like a movie) and one is a story that you directly interact with.

Comment

• I don't think it would be too hard to make a good Sonic the Hedgehog movie.
          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

• David Self isnt a bad writer and adaptive screenwriter at all. I'm sure he came up with something good enough.

God of War wasn't without story...and the cut scenes played out like a movie as well. The production value and scripts of today's video games are getting better and better. They're basically trying to emulate movies. Scripts have become stronger. See Mass Effect, Uncharted, Fallout, Dragon Age, Bioshock, etc. They may not be perfect but, they do give you something to build on.

As for God of War...I'm sure he would need some kind of companion written in. Or something. But there is a story there. Couldnt defeat an army...asks god of war for help...defeats army and kills family in process...pissed off kills lots of things...visits Hades and other crazy locations...finds Ares...final Show down...and curtain.

lol. The character and the story they came up with isnt bad...a good script writer could run wild with a character like Kratos and the action in the video game, I'm sure.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I'm just not sure I see it. The whole plot of God of War still follows the formula "fight a bunch of guys until you get to fight the boss guy then repeat until you reach final boss". That formula comes across as really childish on screen, which is why any action movie worth its salt avoids it.

So then you have to go away from the story, which is fine, but also means that the movie runs an insanely high risk of being turned into nothing more than a marketing machine.

Comment

• We'll see, maybe that is...if it ever gets made.

I still think it has amazing potential...but I say again, it has to be in the right hands.

Some of those talky RPG epics would be better suited script wise probably, right off the bat. Like Mass Effect, Fallout, or Dragon Age but, I do see a great deal of film potential in a God of War movie.

In other news...

I'm currently watching Snatch on HBO and I've started a "project" of sorts searching through IMDB for a mass amount of movies to add to my watch list. I've literally gone through about 10,000 at this point. Read their synopsis' and checked other review sources and such. The "drama" section alone has 143,000+.
                Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 11-23-2009, 03:12 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                  The truth is that almost any video game movie that's done in Hollywood is going to have to be rated Pg-13, including God of War.
                  I dont think so. All of these games, including nearly every popular non sports game, is already rated as 17+ anyway. R or M whatever the letter its the same deal. I think the whole R rating is pretty desensitized at this point and wont be a big hindrance.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
                    I dont think so. All of these games, including nearly every popular non sports game, is already rated as 17+ anyway. R or M whatever the letter its the same deal. I think the whole R rating is pretty desensitized at this point and wont be a big hindrance.
                    Game ratings don't work like film ratings, nor are strategies of marketing even remotely similar.

I'm referring to the general attitude of the film studios that tend to fund movies based on video games. Those movies are mostly sold to executives on the idea that they represent a brand already familiar to a teenage audience. The chances that they'll avoid being PG-13 is tiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                      So you are saying that NBK the movie, as it is, is better then Pulp, Dogs, Basterds and True Romance?
                      Yes I think the end result, even with Oliver Stone's taint, is as good or better than all four of those films. That had a lot of scenes that I loved, the setting and soundtrack also hit a cord and I thought the story was great even with the added focus on RDJ's character. And while the "parental abuse" cop out was annoying I loved how it was done which got me past it.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                      JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                      Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                      Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                      Originally posted by JBCX
                      Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                        Yes I think the end result, even with Oliver Stone's taint, is as good or better than all four of those films. That had a lot of scenes that I loved, the setting and soundtrack also hit a cord and I thought the story was great even with the added focus on RDJ's character. And while the "parental abuse" cop out was annoying I loved how it was done which got me past it.
                        I like Natural Born Killers alot, I think its an underrated and unfairly criticized film, and Im certain it would of been better with Tarantino behind the camera, but I dont see any way in which it stacks up to those 4 previously mentioned films. Of those 4, 1 was a masterpiece and is viewed as one of the best films of all time, and the other 3 are all great movies in and of themselves. NBK, for all its highs and lows, is just a good movie, not a great one.
                        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                        The APS is strong in this one.
                        Originally posted by killxswitch
                        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                          Star Trek.........would it be entertaining to a non-star trek geek? Thinking about watching it. Not sure yet.
                          For sure and this is coming from some one that hated ST its for sure worth the rent at the least.

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                          Also, The Prince of Persia trailer didnt look THAT bad.
                          I think it is going to rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                            The truth is that almost any video game movie that's done in Hollywood is going to have to be rated Pg-13, including God of War.
                            Hideo Kojima wants to do a Metal Gear Solid movie and he said it'd have to be R to be properly done.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                              Star Trek.........would it be entertaining to a non-star trek geek? Thinking about watching it. Not sure yet.
                              I am a hard-core Star Wars > Star Trek person and I went out and bought the new Star Trek the day it came out. They did an awesome job filling the roles of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. They also did a decent job of telling a story, it;'s not just an "alien with a gun" movie.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Saw Blind Side and absolutely loved it, definitely going to be purchased when it comes out on DVD. Big Mike!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information