Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
    LOTR and The Godfather trilogies are not Citizen Kane, they are all very entertaining. Not that I find Citizen Kane boring but I appreciate it more than I like it.
    I wouldn't go with citizen kane there because citizen kane was the first movie I appreciated so fully that I not only enjoyed it but adored it, obviously. I feel bad to be agreeing with APS but he's on point with this one Pirates was just simple fun and I can't wait for PoC4 since Barbosa is my second favorite character after the greatness that is jack sparrow.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
    Originally posted by JBCX
    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• What movies were better than the books?

I have three that come to mind:

(going to get a lot of crap for this one, but man the books were weighty and arduous to read)
      Last edited by Shiver; 12-15-2009, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• The third pirate movie was just awful. The most entertaining thing about it for me was when I saw it in theaters some crazy dude just kept yelling out to the actors as if they could hear him, and laughing way too excessively at everything that happened. Glad someone was enjoying it, I lost interest half way through.

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• The problem with the Pirates sequels was that Jack Sparrow became a caricature of what was such an interestingly fresh character from the first movie. The first film was surprisingly good, but was bloated and too long. So what do they do? They make two more movies, simultaneously, longer and more bloated than before! Of course! What a brilliant decision....

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            The problem with the Pirates sequels was that Jack Sparrow became a caricature of what was such an interestingly fresh character from the first movie. The first film was surprisingly good, but was bloated and too long. So what do they do? They make two more movies, simultaneously, longer and more bloated than before! Of course! What a brilliant decision....
            See I disagree immensely with this post. I thought the movies did great job building on the previous films and Jack Sparrow was as remarkable and uniquely sparrow throughout, in fact I thought they did a pretty solid job with his progression through the series. And while the movies where long and if you weren't as into it as I was I can certainly understand concerns about the length, but I loved every minute and am eagerly awaiting the next one. I have no complaints with what they've done, they have their niche and have done a great job of delivering what the fan base wants, they don't try to be anything more than an over-the-top epic series built on a couple great characters and a simple and fun environment with a great soundtrack.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
              The third pirate movie was just awful. The most entertaining thing about it for me was when I saw it in theaters some crazy dude just kept yelling out to the actors as if they could hear him, and laughing way too excessively at everything that happened. Glad someone was enjoying it, I lost interest half way through.
              See I loved everything from the midget with the bazooka to the stone crabs to the wedding in middle of the decisive battle on a ship that's sideways and final scene where jack steals the middle of the map.

BK

Comment

(going to get a lot of crap for this one, but man the books were weighty and arduous to read)
                That's quite a statement. The movies successfully narrowed down three hugely expansive books into three massive movies, but the Tolkien's work is probably the finest example of modern fantasy in literature.

I like the movies a lot. I think they're a tremendously successful visualization of the books. But I can't say they're better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                  That's quite a statement. The movies successfully narrowed down three hugely expansive books into three massive movies, but the Tolkien's work is probably the finest example of modern fantasy in literature.

I like the movies a lot. I think they're a tremendously successful visualization of the books. But I can't say they're better.
                  I can. The books needed to be narrowed down. You are right, Tolkien's writing had an immense impact on modern fantasy, but there is no denying that they are long, tedious, and overly descriptive books who's flaws are hidden by the movies. Whereas the novels spend equal time describing the landscape as they do the epic battles that define much of the plot of the books, the movies accentuate this action and it allows for a much more enjoyable experience. I understand that there is a difference between literature and cinema, particularly the visual nature of the latter, but I still think the movies improved upon the books.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• They're two unique experiences that made major statements within their own respective sections of media. I have a really hard time lining them up into some sort of hierarchy, but perhaps that's just me.

Comment

• There's glowing reviews and then there is the reviews Avatar has been getting. I've heard reviews about people tearing up just because of the visuals, people comparing it to the Wizard Of Oz and Star Wars, the phrase "Game Changer" has been mentioned a lot. I was definitely one of the cynics when the first few trailers came out, but this sounds like something I have to witness in theater on the big screen and not on my 14" laptop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                        There's glowing reviews and then there is the reviews Avatar has been getting. I've heard reviews about people tearing up just because of the visuals, people comparing it to the Wizard Of Oz and Star Wars, the phrase "Game Changer" has been mentioned a lot. I was definitely one of the cynics when the first few trailers came out, but this sounds like something I have to witness in theater on the big screen and not on my 14" laptop.
                        This Sunday. On 635. IMAX. Yes.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
                          The third pirate movie was just awful.
                          I agree.

I thought they kept getting worse as they went along first one was epic second good the third was just average.

When any one says any thing like this they always say how great Johnny Depp was in the trilogy and he was GREAT but as a whole the movies got worse IMO.
                          Last edited by Splat; 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post

I think what happened is I went in reverse, saw the films, loved them, got the book. I did not have any nostalgia for Tolkien's writing.

Comment

• Started my yearly movie binge yesterday, only to find out about 3 movies in that ive basically seen everything worthwhile thats already out.

500 Days of Summer was good stuff, though.

Comment

I think what happened is I went in reverse, saw the films, loved them, got the book. I did not have any nostalgia for Tolkien's writing.
                                Yeah, I read Tolkien when I was a kid. Very fond memories. I imagine it would be hard to read all that extra stuff when your reference point is just the important scenes.

Anyway, I'm stocked to discover that The Hobbit is back on track. That was always my favorite Tolkien book.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information