Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    Children of Men and The Fountain are both amazing sci-fi movies and probably my favorite movies from 2006, regardless of genre.
    The Fountain is one of my favorite movies of all time. In fact, it is my favorite movie of my favorite movie director. But I can't call in sci-fi because it isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
      The Fountain is one of my favorite movies of all time. In fact, it is my favorite movie of my favorite movie director. But I can't call in sci-fi because it isn't.
      It has science fiction elements.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I've seen the first 5, only one I've seen recently was children of men. I know there are better but I usually stick to comedies due to the state of mind I'm in most of the time. I have been doing a lot of thinking in the last few minutes and I'm trying to fit movies into that genre...

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          District 9 is a **** ton better than The Fifth Element. Speaking of those movies, Dark City is the most underrated sci-fi movie of all time.
          I was about to call my love for Dark City. <3

Comment

It has science fiction elements.
            Which? The scenes with the tree traveling to Xibalba were said, in the trailer, to be 500 years in the future (if I recall), but the way the movie was put together they read much more as being a manifestation of the spirit of the other two version of the main character. Now there are implications that (SPOILER AHEAD) it represents an alternate timeline where the main character discovers eternal life and lives that long, but the story never carries through with those implications.

The Fountain was, to me, much more of a character study than a science fiction movie.

Comment

District 9 is a **** ton better than The Fifth Element. Speaking of those movies, Dark City is the most underrated sci-fi movie of all time.
              I forgot to put Dark City, brilliant movie.

And The Fifth Element is ************* awesome, you take that back.

Comment

• Speaking of which, Children of Men doesn't strike me as a sci-fi movie. What else than being about 20 years from now would qualify it for the genre?

Comment

• I actually rewatched the 5th Element last week and District 9 last night. D9 is the victor.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post
                    Speaking of which, Children of Men doesn't strike me as a sci-fi movie. What else than being about 20 years from now would qualify it for the genre?
                    It's an examination of an alternate future. That's pretty much all it takes, especially considering that much of the roots of science fiction are dystopian literary works.

Comment

• The midget chick from Poltergeist was just taken off life support. A premature R.I.P. is in order.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1348762/

Her role in that movie will forever be etched into my brain.

Comment

• So any movie that pictures the world as falling apart is a sci-fi?

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post
                          So any movie that pictures the world as falling apart is a sci-fi?
                          Dystopia= science fiction.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I watched District 9 Sunday night then watched it again last night...last movie I did that for ws Step Brothers...
                            Last edited by trkaline; 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Pretty much. People tend to include those post apocalyptic movies into the sci fi genre. See the Road, Mad Max, or the Book of Eli.

It's all Sci Fi...a lot of people just liken "Sci Fi" to space or monsters/aliens.
                              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

Dystopia= science fiction.
                                Alright, I see. I'm not agreeing with it, but I get the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information