Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
    Gran Torino is solid, but Clint Eastwood is a bit overrated...Expecially with Invictus. How do you base what should be one of the best sports movies of all time around Nelson Mandela and NOT the rugby?

Don't get me wrong it was good and I love Damon, but come on let's hear a little more about the black player on the team, the sport itself, the games, etc. Plus Damon is about 6 inches shorter than the guy in real life.

Eastwood has had a few hits, but check his imdb. There have also been some clunkers. He hides his shortcomings by getting major actors/actresses and keeping such a small budget. I can't lie though, reading Simmons article on ESPN opened my eyes to this even wider.
    Well, to be fair Nelson Mandela himself is a better story than any rugby story, or any sport story for that matter. While I personally saw the trailers and knew the film would be about Mandela predominantly, I guess they kinda did lead on like it would be about the sport more than it may be.

Comment

• Gran Torino is one of those rare movies that is so goddamn awful that it's that good. If it didn't take itself so seriously and try to make these vapid social commentaries on races coming together and just stuck with all the funny racial slurs, I thought it had a lot more potential that way... as a comedy. Instead, it's just another Crash.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Just got done watching the second Night at the Museum, I enjoyed the first one but was disappointed with the one.

Comment

• I'm watching Sex Drive. I'm not sure why though. I am pretty sure this kid in the movie is APS though.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            I'm watching Sex Drive. I'm not sure why though. I am pretty sure this kid in the movie is APS though.
            Its pretty bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post
              Its pretty bad.
              Yeah I was hoping for a little EuroTrip type movie but it's not coming.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                Gran Torino is one of those rare movies that is so goddamn awful that it's that good. If it didn't take itself so seriously and try to make these vapid social commentaries on races coming together and just stuck with all the funny racial slurs, I thought it had a lot more potential that way... as a comedy. Instead, it's just another Crash.
                But Gran Torino>>>>>Crash. By far. I didn't enjoy crash, I enjoyed Gran Torino.

Up in the Air was fantastic, I reccomend it to anyone looking to see a good movie.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
                Originally posted by BaLLiN72
                i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
                Originally posted by Job
                NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                  Gran Torino is one of those rare movies that is so goddamn awful that it's that good. If it didn't take itself so seriously and try to make these vapid social commentaries on races coming together and just stuck with all the funny racial slurs, I thought it had a lot more potential that way... as a comedy. Instead, it's just another Crash.
                  I think you took it too seriously. It's not an awful movie at all. You have to go into that movie with the right mindset. You can't take it too seriously but you can't take it as a comedy. Some parts are supposed to be funny and are poking fun at his old man ways. With that being said it's not a comedy. Comparing it to Crash is ridiculous. Gran Torino was a solid movie and Crash was brutal.

Comment

• I just got done watching District 9 it was different.

Comment

I just got done watching District 9 it was different.
                      In a good way?

Comment

I just got done watching District 9 it was different.
                        Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                        In a good way?
                        Not Really...

LOL

It just wasn't for me.

Comment

• I watched JCVD the other day after hearing it was good. And while it was real candid and you got some snaps of how his life has really been, jeez that was such a boring movie. I can't believe they could fit so little story line into almost two hours. The entire movie was basically one scene.
                          Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 01-01-2010, 10:25 PM.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

• Originally posted by Whistler6 View Post
                            Gran Torino is solid, but Clint Eastwood is a bit overrated...Expecially with Invictus. How do you base what should be one of the best sports movies of all time around Nelson Mandela and NOT the rugby?

Don't get me wrong it was good and I love Damon, but come on let's hear a little more about the black player on the team, the sport itself, the games, etc. Plus Damon is about 6 inches shorter than the guy in real life.

Eastwood has had a few hits, but check his imdb. There have also been some clunkers. He hides his shortcomings by getting major actors/actresses and keeping such a small budget. I can't lie though, reading Simmons article on ESPN opened my eyes to this even wider.
                            I think you got the whole point wrong. It was not meant to be a sports movie with a political situation in it. It was meant to be a political situation movie with sports in it. Just because it includes sports does not mean that that was the point of the movie. Buy asking that it become a rugby-central movie, you're asking Clint Eastwood to make a completely different movie, which IMO, is not a legitimate reason to knock a movie.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigaro View Post
                              I think you got the whole point wrong. It was not meant to be a sports movie with a political situation in it. It was meant to be a political situation movie with sports in it. Just because it includes sports does not mean that that was the point of the movie. Buy asking that it become a rugby-central movie, you're asking Clint Eastwood to make a completely different movie, which IMO, is not a legitimate reason to knock a movie.
                              I'm not knocking the story and its historical significance in anyway. I guess the fact that trailers kind of portrayed it as a "sports movie", just gave me a different mindset as I heading into the theater.

I think I'm a little one-sided since I play rugby and was looking forward to seeing the sport put on display more than it was.

It's well made and does Mandela justice, but kind of cliche. The black kid celebrating with the white cops who kept shooing him aways after they win the championship? I'm being a little too picky here, all around, it's a solid movie.

Comment

• Avatar bored me. Way to ******* long. Sure the visuals were awesome and all...but meh.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information