Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuckNaked View Post
    If you were baked..maybe. But no it wasn't. He beheaded a guy and that's about the only redeemable part of the film. I thought for a second I was gonna see naked Mila Kunis but noooooo, Denzel don't roll with no white skank ass hoes.
    lol for one i was baked, and for two, mila kunis is a sexy ass girl! so therefore, i enjoyed it lol

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
      This is what I've been saying. Effects and stuff are ultimately secondary to me when I rate a movie. It's nice and cool but it's icing on the cake - it exists to further the storyline that is made. And if the storyline sux as I thought it did, so much for the effects.

The best part about Avatar's success is the upcoming 3D re-releases of The Matrix and Lord of the Rings.

Comment

• I loved Avatar, fun movie

Comment

• Fun for sure, definitely escapist entertainment at its zenith. But the idea that it may be nominated (and even win) Best Picture while The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated puts me into rage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            Fun for sure, definitely escapist entertainment at its zenith. But the idea that it may be nominated (and even win) Best Picture while The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated puts me into rage.
            Why did we have to bring up TDK not getting nominated, I swear if Avatar even gets nominated and TDK didnt i'm killing the lady who wrote twilight. KILLING HER!

seriously tho, Avatar is only going to get nominated because its from James Cameron.

Originally posted by WMD
            Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
            Originally posted by gpngc
            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I actually prefer Avatar's story lol, TDK had a lot of random nonsense in the middle like Gordons death (SWERVE! HES NOT DEAD!), and Joker purposely getting caught so that he could do a very specific plan and so forth. I loved TDK, but the middle part of that movies story sucked imo. Avatar was simple and effective.

TDK's villain was slightly better, though! :D

Comment

• Originally posted by comahan View Post
                I actually prefer Avatar's story lol, TDK had a lot of random nonsense in the middle like Gordons death (SWERVE! HES NOT DEAD!), and Joker purposely getting caught so that he could do a very specific plan and so forth. I loved TDK, but the middle part of that movies story sucked imo. Avatar was simple and effective.

TDK's villain was slightly better, though! :D
                That was awesome, and adapted from the comics. I loved that part. Gordons death wasnt all that bad, if anything, the weakest part was the character development of two face.

Originally posted by WMD
                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                Originally posted by gpngc
                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Yea, I mean, like I said, I loved TDK. But sometimes id rather just have a simple, straight forward plot than trying to squeeze a ton of stuff into one movie.

Comment

• The story might be cliche, but I think it just speaks to James Cameron's brilliance. When the movie was 1st released, I read that the audience was something like 75% men...It looked like nothing but a battle fueled sci-fi movie.

But with the story he actually made it enticing for women as well. With the leading actress and Siguorney Weaver and including a love story, the audience has shifted to being 50-50 since opening weekend. Maybe the story is just meh, but he probably doubled the profit by making it a story for both sexes and all different ages.

Comment

• Also, theres pretty much no chance that it DOESNT get nominated, with 10 Best Pic nods this year instead of 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                        The best part about Avatar's success is the upcoming 3D re-releases of The Matrix and Lord of the Rings.
                        3D re-release of Lord of the Rings?

WANT

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen
                        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

WANT
                          So you can see Sam brick in Frodo's mouth in 3D???

Comment

• Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                            So you can see Sam brick in Frodo's mouth in 3D???
                            So I can see Frodo's outie in 3D

by BoneKrusher
                            <DG> how metal unseen
                            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

WANT
                              I... agree... with Severus.

Er, Unseen. I agree with Unseen. Want.

Comment

This is what I've been saying. Effects and stuff are ultimately secondary to me when I rate a movie. It's nice and cool but it's icing on the cake - it exists to further the storyline that is made. And if the storyline sux as I thought it did, so much for the effects.
                                For any other movie I've ever seen I would completely agree. But not Avatar.

The story was never treated as particularly pertinent. It was nothing more than a delivery system for the world that the effects had created. Much more was communicated running around the jungle than any particular scene of dialogue managed to deliver (even with the infodumps that were present). Visuals can save a cliche'd movie, but they have to be exactly as groundbreaking as they were in Avatar. Any time a line hit me the wrong way or I felt like rolling my eyes at the plot (for all people deride the plot, it wasn't that bad. That basic story is older than modern literature and worked fine) I was presented with something so visually enticing that all I could do was marvel at it. Even things so simple as the floating seeds of the great tree were marvelous, floating about in such a way that I was surprised when they didn't continue to travel past the borders of the screen.

I'm usually the first to harp on bad screenwriting or poor storyboarding or the minute problems with a movie. But with Avatar I didn't (couldn't) even come close to caring about all that. Despite its problems, it was a fantastic spectacle, the greatest ever offered by cinema, and I had a blast witnessing it.

Originally posted by comahan View Post
                                Yea, I mean, like I said, I loved TDK. But sometimes id rather just have a simple, straight forward plot than trying to squeeze a ton of stuff into one movie.
                                Looking back, of course, it's hard to suggest that TDK should have been two movies because the loss of Heath Ledger in between would have been catastrophic. He pulled that movie together to an amazing degree. But yeah, the plot could have easily covered two movies.
                                Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 01-16-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information