Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
    Speaking of foreign movies, Lives of Others is awesome. And Iowa, I don't appreciate you ignoring my offer.
    dammit Brochure, I've been meaning to buy that and not watch it.. Now you've brought it up and if I buy it, people will think I'm buying it just because you said it's awesome.

Comment

• If subtitles makes a movie unwatchable then why is it I enjoyed City of God so much?

Comment

Speaking of foreign movies, Lives of Others is awesome. And Iowa, I don't appreciate you ignoring my offer.
        I got caught up in playing MW2/this argument. :(

I'll go with you on one condition...you stab out my ear drums so I don't have to listen to Channing Tatum try to act. Oh, also, if you kill me afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
          You honestly can't read and watch what's on screen like 6 inches above it?

And again, if you think the subtitles ruins the delivery, LEARN THE LANGUAGE IT'S IN. Just because it's in a different language doesn't mean the delivery is ruined. It just means that you can't be bothered to appreciate anything in a language other than English.

Before you come back with "I never said that," you clearly said that subtitles make the acting worthless and takes away from the character. For someone self proclaiming himself as a giant fan and aficionado of acting, you really help yourself out there when you say that because lines are in a different language and I can't understand it then the acting is ruined.

Also, please don't tell me the scene "outside the theater" isn't the scene where they are waiting in the entrance and the actress has to pass off the 3 guys as Italian. Because if it is, you completely missed the point if you thought it was pointless.
          I don't have time to learn languages. I have a job, girlfriend, a life, **** like that. Movies are a hobby. That's it. I don't have to do a ******* thing. I just don't watch them (foreign). Don't know if you haven't picked up on that yet. Do you know 184 languages? Did you watch that supposedly good movie made in Iraq last year? You better learn the ******* language and watch that ****, because it's amazing. You're being ridiculous and you know it.

The second paragraph is something I said. I watch the faces of the characters for the emotion of the scene. Jeremy Renner gives a great performance in The Hurt Locker, not because his character is incredibly complex or driven by dialogue, he's pretty much described in the opening quote, but it's the look on his face when he's standing in front of an Iraqi, pointing a gun at him and telling him to back up his car. The lines are said very calmly, but the way he waits... pauses... tells him to back up, "You wanna back up" (to a guy that probably doesn't speak the language and should learn English not just for understanding troops, but also for understanding American film)... then he moves closer... tells him again... sticks the gun in the car... tells him again... puts the gun to his head... tells him again.

That is a great scene and his cockiness is portrayed in that scene perfectly. There's multiple scenes like that. The one where he tries to get the locks off the guy with bombs strapped to him. That exposes his humanity, the look in his eyes... he almost has more compassion for the lives of others, some Iraqi terrorist, than he does himself.

With subtitles, you could get away with it in that scene I described, since its short and sweet and the direction is so perfect, but when you got people going back for and worth in a tense situation, yelling and screaming at each other, or just shooting the ****, then I spend more time reading, then paying attention to the actors. Call me stupid for not being able to read and watch the actors, I could care less, it's the opinion of thousands of people (some for different reasons... like being too lazy to read).

I'm not talking about that scene in IB. The one where they're talking about German cinema or some worthless ****.
          Last edited by BigBanger; 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM.
          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
          Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
          I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
          Originally posted by bearsfan_51
          iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
          Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
          I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
          Originally posted by GoRavens
          Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
            If subtitles makes a movie unwatchable then why is it I enjoyed City of God so much?
            Great post.

I'll tell you why you like it: Because everyone else did.
            I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
            iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
            Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Again, I just want to know how a scene in a different language ruins the acting. You said subtitles ruin the acting. How is it any different than if you say understand what is being said in whatever language it is? Because YOU have to read does not mean the acting sucks. It could be incredible acting, but because you don't understand the words and have to read what's being said makes the acting worse somehow?

I just don't understand how subtitles make the acting worse, when if you understand the language it is in then it would make absolutely no difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                Great post.

I'll tell you why you like it: Because everyone else did.
                What the hell is that supposed to mean?

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

That he only liked the movie because other people did, not because he actually liked it.

Only BigBanger actually likes movies for what they are.

Comment

I don't have time to learn languages. I have a job, girlfriend, a life, **** like that. Movies are a hobby. That's it. I don't have to do a ******* thing. I just don't watch them (foreign). Don't know if you haven't picked up on that yet. Do you know 184 languages? Did you watch that supposedly good movie made in Iraq last year? You better learn the ******* language and watch that ****, because it's amazing. You're being ridiculous and you know it.

The second paragraph is something I said. I watch the faces of the characters for the emotion of the scene. Jeremy Renner gives a great performance in The Hurt Locker, not because his character is incredibly complex or driven by dialogue, he's pretty much described in the opening quote, but it's the look on his face when he's standing in front of an Iraqi, pointing a gun at him and telling him to back up his car. The lines are said very calmly, but the way he waits... pauses... tells him to back up, "You wanna back up" (to a guy that probably doesn't speak the language and should learn English not just for understanding troops, but also for understanding American film)... then he moves closer... tells him again... sticks the gun in the car... tells him again... puts the gun to his head... tells him again.

That is a great scene and his cockiness is portrayed in that scene perfectly. There's multiple scenes like that. The one where he tries to the locks off the guy with bombs strapped to him. That exposes his humanity, the look in his eyes... he almost has more compassion for the lives of others, some Iraqi terrorist, than he does himself.

With subtitles, you could get away with it in that scene I described, since it's short and sweet and the direction is so perfect, but when you got people going back for and worth in a tense situation, yelling and screaming at each other, or just shooting the ****, then I spend more time reading, then paying attention to the actors. Call me stupid for not being able to read and watch the actors, I could care less, it's the opinion of thousands of people (some for different reasons... like being too lazy to read).

I'm not talking about that scene in IB. The one where they're talking about German cinema or some worthless ****.
                    Ummm this might make sense, if he was the one who said he couldn't watch movies with subtitles...but since, ya know, he isn't a functioning ****** and can watch two things at once, why would he need to learn 184 languages? Nice try though. You are the one being ridiculous. Brushing off a movie because you are too lazy to read subtitles is ill advised and naive. One can only hope you dont approach everything in your life with that amount of effort.

Also, who in their right mind would date someone as abrasive as you?
                    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                    The APS is strong in this one.
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• I'm gonna brag about seeing Eros now, which is 2/3 foreign... and in three different languages!!!!!! OMG!!! And I liked it!!! Wow!!!

Comment

It means he goes against the grain, man.

Comment

I'm gonna brag about seeing Eros now, which is 2/3 foreign... and in three different languages!!!!!! OMG!!! And I liked it!!! Wow!!!
                          But if there's subtitles, the acting is ruined. How can you like it if you are a fan of acting?

Comment

• Battle Royale ftw

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                              Again, I just want to know how a scene in a different language ruins the acting. You said subtitles ruin the acting. How is it any different than if you say understand what is being said in whatever language it is? Because YOU have to read does not mean the acting sucks. It could be incredible acting, but because you don't understand the words and have to read what's being said makes the acting worse somehow?

I just don't understand how subtitles make the acting worse, when if you understand the language it is in then it would make absolutely no difference.
                              Now, I see what you're saying. I don't mean the subtitles ruin the acting. That is ********.

You're right, it could be great acting. I'm not gonna know it because I'm reading the script and not paying attention to the actors. THAT MEANS MY ATTENTION IS OFF THE ACTORS/PERFORMANCE, which makes their performance... worthless. It could be anybody up there just going through the motions.

Would you rather read a screenplay or watch it acted out? That's a rhetorical question. We both know that answer.

Now, I'm sure we have 50 different people that read evert screenplay out there.

Comment

I'm gonna brag about seeing Eros now, which is 2/3 foreign... and in three different languages!!!!!! OMG!!! And I liked it!!! Wow!!!

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information