Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
    You are completely missing the point.

It is a personal preference whether or not you care for subtitles, I understand that.

However, the actual acting is completely independent from anything you do or feel. The acting is in absolutely no way effected by the subtitles. If you dislike the acting or the delivery of lines, that's all and good and entirely your opinion to have. However, if you have to read the lines instead of listening to them, that is not the fault of the actually acting and delivery. You having to read does not make the acting any better or worse.

It has nothing to do with tastes in foreign or domestic films. You are either going to like the acting or not, regardless of if you read what they say or listen to it.

If two scenes are delivered in the exact same way, the only exception being the language, would the acting in the English version be better than the acting in the version you have to read subtitles?
    I'm not bothering with the first two paragraphs.

To the last paragraph. I'll say the English version is better. Example? Infernal Affairs vs. The Departed.

Now, that's pretty much as close as you can get with that horrible hypothetical. The Departed has acting 10.5 million times better, and the results? One of my favorite movies and some of my favorite performances.

Infernal Affairs? Great plot, great story, but I had no connection to the characters. Why? I don't even really know. Was it the subtitles? Could have been. Maybe it was just the performances themselves. I rated that movie a 6/10 (and then 5/10 and 5/10 for the other two).

I do know when I like or don't like an English speaking performance and I know the reasons why I do or don't. With foreign films, I don't always know the reasons, so I blame the subtitles instead of blaming the actors.
    Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
    Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
    I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51
    iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
    Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
    I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
    Originally posted by GoRavens
    Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• I'm not talking about two separate movies. I'm talking about the same exact movie in two different languages. Not dubbed over, but where the actors actually deliver both languages.

You can say you like English speaking performances better than foreign speaking performances, that's perfectly fine. But the subtitles have absolutely nothing to do with it. Reading has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If the delivery is the same and the acting is the same and the actors are the same and the words are the same, and the only difference is language, I just don't understand how subtitles ruin things that are completely independent from a viewer's comprehension.

I've realized we are at a stand still, and I'll concede that the argument is pointless. I'll just leave with the fact that subtitles have absolutely no effect on the actual movie. The acting and story stay the same whether the subtitles are there or not.

Comment

• I like it that the past three pages have been filled with the same arguments stemming from a poor choice of words by BB.

Comment

• I finally saw Fargo. Yaaa.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• i dare anyone to watch Inside and Martyrs back to back.
            Taking a Knapp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
              You have to give Tatum credit for A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
              I guess but, I still dont like him and he's a douche in that movie.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                I guess but, I still dont like him and he's a douche in that movie.
                That movie is terrible and Tatum sucks in it. Even Robert Downey Jr. is cliche in that piece of crap.

I just watched Taken and it rocked. Very tightly wound, compelling, great action+Liam Neeson is badass.

Comment

• That movie isnt that bad at all, imo. I didnt even like it as much as most did but, it's not that bad and Tatum and Shia are actually pretty decent in it. I agree it's full of cliches just like every coming of age story but, it's not bad. The movie has actually been very well received.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• I really liked AGTRYS. As Moth said Tatum and Shia were a nice surprise, and Chazz Palminteri stole the show.

Comment

• Well, this thread sucks recently.

Anyways. I can't wait for the Wolfman.

I'll kill you!!!!!! All of you!!!
                      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                      RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Ive watched 13 (!) movies in 3 days on my way to trying to fit em all in before Feb 1. I only have a handful left that are actually online or in a local theater. I desperately want Nine, The Last Station, A Single Man, Crazy Heart, and Me and Orson Welles to show up SOMEWHERE so that I can watch them.

I think id watch an awful cam version at this point. Just to get em done.

Comment

• The Lovely Bones was a monumental misfire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                            I really liked AGTRYS. As Moth said Tatum and Shia were a nice surprise, and Chazz Palminteri stole the show.
                            I was going back and forth until a montage took place where the characters all not only talked to the camera, but defined themselves too. Ugh.

Plus the entire film is based around Shia and Tatum, so the final scene where they connect again as adults...is cut off as soon as they sit down? Are you kidding? To me, it comes off like they couldn't bring themselves to actually follow through with their buildup. weak sizzle.

Comment

• Originally posted by fondoffilm View Post
                              The Lovely Bones was a monumental misfire.
                              as someone who has read the book, I refuse to see it.

also, ******* tyler perry made a movie based on a favorite book of mine: Push

seriously, **** that guy.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Precious was one of the most acclaimed films of the year, and Perry had no creative control with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information