Clear All

• Gone With the Wind is pretty tight

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Originally posted by HChu View Post
      My super-belated (and lazy) Top 10 of 2009:

10) The Fantastic Mr. Fox - just a really great movie that was beautiful to watch; best Wes Anderson movie since The Royal Tennenbaums

9) District 9 - really great piece of film making; beautiful CGI and spectacular performance by Sharlto Copley

8) A Serious Man - another great Coen Brothers movie; amazing performance by Michael Stuhlbarg; interesting message too, that **** just kind of happens sometimes

7) Observe and Report - this is a very polarizing film, clearly I am on the side of loved it; really hilarious, and Seth Rogen was brilliant; another great film by Jody Hill; might have the best "ending" scene of '09

6) In the Loop - the best comedy of the year; just a ridiculously laugh-out loud comedy that only gets better on repeat viewings; the use of profanity in this film is almost artistic; Peter Capaldi is a cursing virtuoso

5) Big Fan - just more of a phenomenal character study than anything; Patton Oswalt of course steals this movie, and is brilliant as the buffoon Paul Aufiero; just a very dark comedy/drama

4) The Hurt Locker - a brilliant, powerful movie that definitely deserves to win Best Picture; very gritty and tense; brilliant performance by Jeremy Renner; masterfully directed scenes by Kathryn Bigelow that seemed like they were pulled from real war scenes

3) Moon - a wonderful sci-fi movie; Sam Rockwell is the star of the show and gives a terrific performance; just a very moving film

2) Inglourious Basterds - what more needs to be said about this movie? Every performance is great, while Waltz is clearly the MVP; masterful script and direction that built so much tension simply through dialogue; it was very hard for me not to put this #1

1) Up - yes, I'm a child; the first ten minutes of this movie made me cry and the last scrapbook scene did it for me as well; just beautifully done with very "grown-up" themes; it was pretty much a flawless movie
      Good list sir, 8 of those are in my top 20

Comment

• Yeah, Up is a great movie. I'm not really sure which was my fave, but it sounds like a good enough candidate to me.

Oh, I also saw American History X tonite. Powerful stuff.

by BoneKrusher
        <DG> how metal unseen
        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
          Yeah, Up is a great movie. I'm not really sure which was my fave, but it sounds like a good enough candidate to me.

Oh, I also saw American History X tonite. Powerful stuff.
          Don't you go around curb stomping people..

Comment

• or get ass raped.

Comment

• I just got an interesting movie night watching Up, The Road and Up in the Air.

The Road was quite a good flick and has the ever so sexy Viggo, but still falls behind the other two by a considerable margin. Both Up and Up in the Air were fantastic, and I'm really too tired to elaborate.

Moon scheduled for tomorrow. As well as maybe The Hurt Locker and/or The Informant!.

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post
                I just got an interesting movie night watching Up, The Road and Up in the Air.

The Road was quite a good flick and has the ever so sexy Viggo, but still falls behind the other two by a considerable margin. Both Up and Up in the Air were fantastic, and I'm really too tired to elaborate.

Moon scheduled for tomorrow. As well as maybe The Hurt Locker and/or The Informant!.
                Up is indeed fantastic but Up in the Air? I just don't get it. Good, sure, but this Reitman lovefest is getting out of hand. Not singling you out in particular, of course.

Moon is pretty solid. Dying to see The Road and The Hurt Locker.

Comment

• I really liked Up in the Air. I can see why not everyone would, but I really enjoyed it.

Comment

• finally saw Blind side today and I thought it was incredible.Sandra Bullock's preformance was incredible IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by HChu View Post
                      My super-belated (and lazy) Top 10 of 2009:

10) The Fantastic Mr. Fox - just a really great movie that was beautiful to watch; best Wes Anderson movie since The Royal Tennenbaums

9) District 9 - really great piece of film making; beautiful CGI and spectacular performance by Sharlto Copley

8) A Serious Man - another great Coen Brothers movie; amazing performance by Michael Stuhlbarg; interesting message too, that **** just kind of happens sometimes

7) Observe and Report - this is a very polarizing film, clearly I am on the side of loved it; really hilarious, and Seth Rogen was brilliant; another great film by Jody Hill; might have the best "ending" scene of '09

6) In the Loop - the best comedy of the year; just a ridiculously laugh-out loud comedy that only gets better on repeat viewings; the use of profanity in this film is almost artistic; Peter Capaldi is a cursing virtuoso

5) Big Fan - just more of a phenomenal character study than anything; Patton Oswalt of course steals this movie, and is brilliant as the buffoon Paul Aufiero; just a very dark comedy/drama

4) The Hurt Locker - a brilliant, powerful movie that definitely deserves to win Best Picture; very gritty and tense; brilliant performance by Jeremy Renner; masterfully directed scenes by Kathryn Bigelow that seemed like they were pulled from real war scenes

3) Moon - a wonderful sci-fi movie; Sam Rockwell is the star of the show and gives a terrific performance; just a very moving film

2) Inglourious Basterds - what more needs to be said about this movie? Every performance is great, while Waltz is clearly the MVP; masterful script and direction that built so much tension simply through dialogue; it was very hard for me not to put this #1

1) Up - yes, I'm a child; the first ten minutes of this movie made me cry and the last scrapbook scene did it for me as well; just beautifully done with very "grown-up" themes; it was pretty much a flawless movie
                      Very nice list. I haven't seen them all yet and it's way too early for me to make a top 10 list, but my top 5 has some great movies (IMO). I've only seen 5 films your list, but I'm dying to see A Serious Man. D9 was the only one of the five I didn't like.

2. Inglorious Basterds - 9/10 - #4 right now

3. Moon - 10/10 - Tied for #1 right now

4. The Hurt Locker - 10/10 - Tied for #1 right now

7. Observe and Report - 9/10 - #5 right now

I watched Moon and then watched it again immediatley after the credits rolled. The Prestige is the only other movie that made me do that.

Rockwell exceeded expectations and since I knew so little about it (Rockwell by himself on the moon and that's about it), the surprises made it so much better. A wonderful movie about discovery and an incredibly intimate film that does a great job of adding humanity to Rockwell's character. Great score from Mansell and incredibly original (much more so than D9). I don't know how this isn't getting a ton of Oscar buzz (Rockwell performance, score and writing at the very least), must remind voters of 2001 too much, and since it's exceedingly better, probably getting shafted for that very reason.
                      Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                      Originally posted by GoRavens
                      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• 2009 Top Ten

I have yet to see The Road, The Hurt Locker, A Single Man, Crazy Heart, An Education, The White Ribbon, In the Loop, and several others.

10) World's Greatest Dad

-Pleasant surprise, one of my personal favorites of the year. Robin Williams is just untouchable. Unique and refreshing.

9) The Hangover

-Best pure comedy of the year. Galifianakis steals the show, but all four guys worked well together. Quite actually one of the funniest films I have ever seen.

8) Where the Wild Things Are

-A film with many layers, perhaps misunderstood. Not a typical 'family film,' perhaps not a family film at all. One thing is certain: Spike Jonze succeeded.

7) Fantastic Mr. Fox

-Dazzling visually, maybe the best work Anderson has done. Another worthy children's book adaptation.

6) Moon

-The Sam Rockwell Show. Great performance. And the decidedly friendlier version of HAL was a nice touch as well. The film takes an interesting turn at the midway point, and is well directed by Bowie's kid.

5) (500) Days of Summer

-A unique film that rings true. Definitely an unconventional romantic comedy, a true breath of fresh air. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a rising star.

4) A Serious Man

-You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate this film! It has that familiar Coen Brothers feel to it, and a conclusion that not everyone will embrace. Hilarious at times with several fantastic performances. About what you'd expect from Ethan and Joel.

3) Inglourious Basterds

-Years of anticipation and it finally arrived! And it certainly delivered. Tarantino returns to form with this highly entertaining, original film and essentially introduces Christoph Waltz. Hans Landa has to be regarded as one of Tarantino's best creations.

2) Up

-Up is undeniable. In my estimation, the finest animated movie of all time. Heartbreaking, hilarious, adorable, triumphant. It's something for everyone. And who doesn't love Dug?

1) District 9

-Sleeper hit indeed. Not quite what I had expected after having seen the previews, but that's probably a good thing. Sharlto Copley did a tremendous job with Wikus. Blomkamp's direction was absolutely fantastic, I can't wait to see what the guy does next (please don't let it be Halo!). The best science fiction picture in years.

Comment

• 10. A Serious Man
                          9. District 9
                          8. The Fantastic Mr Fox
                          7. The Hurt Locker
                          6. Moon
                          5. Star Trek
                          4. Adventureland
                          3. The Hangover
                          2. Inglorious Basterds
                          1. 500 Days Of Summer

Comment

• 1. Inglorious Basterds
                            2. Avatar
                            3. Up
                            4. Up in the Air
                            5. The Hurt Locker
                            6. Moon
                            7. Where the Wild Things Are
                            8. 500 Days of Summer
                            9. District 9
                            10. Star Trek

There, it is better than all of yours because it doesn't have The Hangover or Observe and Report.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• The Hangover is greatly overrated. It was funny. It was not greatly funny. It's a decent movie, and that's it, for me.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

• I might as well post my current top ten. Once I watch all the movies I want to watch I'll do a full top 20 with pictures, like last year. Still need to see: An Education, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, In the Loop, Invictus, Precious, The Road, A Single Man, and Sunshine Cleaning.

10. Star Trek
                                9. Up
                                8. Brothers
                                7. Watchmen
                                6. Public Enemies
                                5. Up in the Air
                                4. The Hurt Locker
                                3. Moon
                                2. (500) Days of Summer
                                1. Inglorious Basterds

Comment

Working...