Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
    Ditto. Watchmen was 300 in 2009 for me. So much unrealised potential, the movie itself was solid, but it should and could have been a lot more.
    I think too many people are punishing Watchmen and Public Enemies for not living up to their potential. If you just take them for what they are and don't compare them to what they could have been then I think they are both very good movies. I think that if both movies lived up to their potential they could be #1 and #2 on my list.

Absolutely no way that I Love You, Man can be ahead of the Hangover. One was the funniest movie I can remember watching in quite some time, the other was a good solid movie.
    See that is how I felt. I Love You, Man was one of the funniest movies of the the last few years while the Hangover was just an above average comedy. I know I'm a Paul Rudd fanboy but I enjoyed I Love You, Man much more than the Hangover which was too over-the-top in my opinion. It tried too hard to get laughs by being way too unrealistic.

You also like Public Enemies a lot more than me, thought it was solid but far from great. Certainly not better than Avatar, District 9, Star Trek, Up or The Hangover, just from movies I've seen on that list.
    I already commented a bit on Public Enemies, so I'll comment on the other movies. Avatar was nothing special as an overall movie. I saw it twice. The first time was in a regular theater and I thought it was horrible. It had every movie cliche imaginable and I knew exactly what was going to happen, just before it happened. I'm glad I ended up going to see it in 3-D because the visuals were everything they were hyped up to be. With that said, visuals can only take a movie so far when then movie severely lacking in story. District 9 was also very overrated to me. What's so special about this movie? Like I said earlier in this thread, if I never see it again then I won't be upset. As far as Star Trek and Up go, I think my 6-11 is pretty interchangeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by P-L View Post
      I think too many people are punishing Watchmen and Public Enemies for not living up to their potential. If you just take them for what they are and don't compare them to what they could have been then I think they are both very good movies. I think that if both movies lived up to their potential they could be #1 and #2 on my list.

See that is how I felt. I Love You, Man was one of the funniest movies of the the last few years while the Hangover was just an above average comedy. I know I'm a Paul Rudd fanboy but I enjoyed I Love You, Man much more than the Hangover which was too over-the-top in my opinion. It tried too hard to get laughs by being way too unrealistic.

I already commented a bit on Public Enemies, so I'll comment on the other movies. Avatar was nothing special as an overall movie. I saw it twice. The first time was in a regular theater and I thought it was horrible. It had every movie cliche imaginable and I knew exactly what was going to happen, just before it happened. I'm glad I ended up going to see it in 3-D because the visuals were everything they were hyped up to be. With that said, visuals can only take a movie so far when then movie severely lacking in story. District 9 was also very overrated to me. What's so special about this movie? Like I said earlier in this thread, if I never see it again then I won't be upset. As far as Star Trek and Up go, I think my 6-11 is pretty interchangeable.
      Transparency in comedy is one of the most annoying things to me. That's exactly how I see things like Will Ferrel and Dane Cook. **** that ****.

worker bees can leave
      even drones can fly away
      the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• I'm starting round two of this.

Originally posted by Splat View Post
        "Movie ABC's Game"

How to play.

Simply start with the letter “A,” and post the title of one of your favorite movies. The next player posts their favorite movie title beginning with a letter “B.” For instance, post the title “Apocalypse Now.” The next player could post the movie title “Battlefield Earth.”

Comment

• Being John Malkovich.

Comment

• Coraline (Not Caroline!)

Comment

• worker bees can leave
              even drones can fly away
              the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Eyes Wide Shut.

Old VHS poster ftw.

Comment

• Fantastic Mr Fox.

Comment

• Goodfellas.

Comment

• Too easy.

worker bees can leave
                      even drones can fly away
                      the queen is their slave

themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                        oh dear God, I remember hearing rumors of this a couple years back, but didn't want to believe it.
                        makes me want to watch Wall Street.

Also, as an Oliver Stone fan, I'm compelled to at least DL it.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Comment

• I'm not allowing any other movie here.

Last edited by Job; 01-29-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• My internets is not very solid. I blew it.

(<3 In Bruges. Hate this post.)
                              Last edited by SuperMcGee; 01-30-2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• K... ... King Kong?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information