Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by comahan View Post
    Again, theyre not the same at all. Cameron was telling a story with his effects, every scene was full of life while not being overly cluttered and ridiculous. Bay just blew stuff up and had pointless effect after pointless effect.

Disclaimer, since im sure youll point out again that everyone who likes Avatar is only of that opinion because theyre riding Cameron's dick; I dont like any of his movies except T2.
    Again, the fact that I compared Transformers 2 to Avatar was to prove a point, not to suggest that what Bay did was the same as what cameron did. And the point I made about the love cameron is getting was a very small part of my point, but lets neg rep me for having a different opinion Comahan...... oh wait.

And APS, the bolded I was referring to Transformers 2 as having a stupid plot and Avatar as the cliche. My point was that, and apparently I'm the only one who feels this way, is I dont find movies to be anything special when a movie is based solely around having amazing visuals without a decent plot and ok acting. My original post with the reference to transformers being nominated was solely to prove that Avatar is not a good enough movie to win Best picture because of its effects alone. It was the only thing that came to mind when thinking of another big hit with good effects.

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I didnt neg rep for you a differing opinion, Brent doesnt like Avatar, PL doesnt like it either, so on and so forth. Didnt do anything to them. I just thought most of the points you made were pretty ridiculous and well, neg worthy.

That, and I havent red squared many people recently. I was a bit thirsty for blood. No worries now though, the feeding is over and my eyes are once again a topaz color! (yessss, I fit in a twilight reference! boosh)

Seriously though, Ill plus you back soon if it means that much to you. (no thats not a sarcastic comment, just adding this so it doesnt get taken that way)
      Last edited by comahan; 02-15-2010, 02:47 AM.

Comment

yessss, I fit in a twilight reference! boosh
        That would be deserving of a neg rep retaliation!

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post
          That would be deserving of a neg rep retaliation!
          Im a rebel! Ill make twilight references when I damn well please!

Comment

I didnt neg rep for you a differing opinion, Brent doesnt like Avatar, PL doesnt like it either, so on and so forth. Didnt do anything to them. I just thought most of the points you made were pretty ridiculous and well, neg worthy.

That, and I havent red squared many people recently. I was a bit thirsty for blood. No worries now though, the feeding is over and my eyes are once again a topaz color! (yessss, I fit in a twilight reference! boosh)

Seriously though, Ill plus you back soon if it means that much to you. (no thats not a sarcastic comment, just adding this so it doesnt get taken that way)
            No its fine, I just was trying to have a conversation about what I originally had posted, and still think my point about special effects to an average movie are still pretty relative, but thats me. And just to be clear, i dont want people thinking I was doing anything but using another effects driven movie to prove a point about Avatar, I'm not a Transformers 2 fan by any means.

Originally posted by WMD
            Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
            Originally posted by gpngc
            I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• I do agree that a lot of effects driven movies are bad. Looking at my lists, most of the effects movies are 3 stars are below. But I just dont think Avatar is comparable to most of those. Its a totally different animal to me.

Its one of the only movies of the sort that, pardon the cheesiness, transported me into its world. A lot of how I judge a movie is the feeling im left with when its over. There are a LOT of movies that I just sit there and shrug at, most movies in fact. But this was one of the few that I actually had jitters after. It was so enthralling that a comment from a friend during the movie had me do a double take before I could pull my eyes off of it. I wanted to punch her for disrupting it after I had realized how utterly into the movie I had been without noticing it. I cant tell you how unbelievably rare it is for me to have that feeling during a movie.

So youll have to forgive me for being a bit protective of it.

Comment

• I just finished Gamer. Yeeeeah. I wouldnt say I hated the whole thing but, it was just a strange ass movie with a bunch of weird for the sake of weird bologna, a piss poor script, and zero substance or structure. There really wasnt much there. It was messy. Anyway, I still love Butler and Michael C Hall. I couldnt help but smile whenever Dexter stepped on the screen. :D I dont know why he wanted in on this movie, though. He was still pretty hilarious throughout. I didnt even like his character but, he still could have used some more face time. But anyway, movie was pretty meh overall. I mean, I'd watch it again but, it's not like I'm in a hurry to do so. If MCH isnt in this movie, I'm sure I would have been much harsher.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  And BF, the argument was much less about the money and more about the fact that special effects can be just as vital to a film as dialogue or acting. To think otherwise, especially when talking about a movie like Avatar thats 50% CGI, is stupid.
                  Vital in terms of what? It would help if you actually established some parameters to your argument (which comahan did btw) instead of simply telling him how dumb he is.

I've never even ******* seen Avatar. I watch almost everything on Netflix unless my fiance wants to go to the theatre, and she had tons of friends to watch it with.

My point, rather, is that really the only established criteria for what makes a movie good so far (money) was a really bad one. I take almost no stance on the issue, I'm just telling you that you're actually making his argument look good by stomping your feet when he doesn't agree with you and calling him names.
                  Last edited by bearsfan_51; 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Disclaimer, since im sure youll point out again that everyone who likes Avatar is only of that opinion because theyre riding Cameron's dick; I dont like any of his movies except T2.
                    This should get you banned from life. Aliens > you.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                      This should get you banned from life. Aliens > you.
                      Its hard to like a movie that you havent seen in like 10 years :D

Comment

• My initial impression after seeing Avatar is that it was pretty good, though I was bored as **** at parts. Since then, without seeing it again, I'll admit that my opinion of it has gone way down pretty much because of its popularity/Oscar hype. That's not really fair to it.

Comment

• Got to watch It Might Get Loud for the first time last night. Thought it was very enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone who's into guitar or music in general.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                          Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• The Chase was on last night, with Charlie Sheen. It's one of my guilty pleasure movies. I know it's bad. I just can't help myself for liking it.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I didnt neg rep for you a differing opinion, Brent doesnt like Avatar, PL doesnt like it either, so on and so forth.
                              I don't dislike it, I just don't think it's best picture worthy.

Comment

• Just watched the unrated trailer for Cop Out. I won't see it in the theater, but i will definitely rent it and probably laugh my ass off.
                                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                                Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information