Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
    Well if you came, then Job would come, and if Job came he'd be hounding me to meet Tim Connolly, and then Tim is gonna want to pee on some *****, and it's all just too much.
    Did I hear Tim Connolly?

Comment

• Saw "She's Out of My League" tonight and it was actually a decent movie. Surprised me a lot. Nothing ground-breaking of course but nicely put together.
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
        Nope!

His best movie?........Primal Fear.
        He was brilliant in Primal Fear. I just re-watched that the other day.

Originally posted by fenikz
        His soft D really turns me off
        ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Red Dragon was awesome, and Norton was fantastic in it. wtf

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigaro View Post
            Did BigBanger really say Sergio Leone, John Wayne, and Clint Eastwood sucked?
            I despise John Wayne. That's all that really needs to be said.

It appears that Leone makes the same, boring three hour movie. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is not an awful movie and if it was reasonably cut down to about an 1 hr. and 50 min. then it would probably be quite good. It also has some awful sound, which seems to be the case with most of his movies... ya know, the whole mouthing moving but no words come out type of deal. I also find Eastwood to be pretty worthless in that who trilogy. He comes walking in out of the blue, all nonchalant-like, shoots someone or someone's hat off, squints into the sun, tongues his cigar, looks down at his boots, adjusts his hat and then grumbles some "cool" one-liner thats supposed to impress me. Well, it didn't. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly does have a very good score (Even if it was used better in a commercial with LT and Troy P). Some very nice directing at times, awful in others. Then I find out he made two movies before that have Eastwood in them and they're exactly the same. I still have not seen Once Upon a Time in America, although I did see the first hour. It seemed to be picking up the pace and getting to the point by the time I turned it off, but I didn't have three hours to watch it.

Eastwood does not suck. He sucked in Gran Torino. He has sucked in many movies. He's made a lot of very average movies as well.

But, he has made these three movies:

1. Million Dollar Baby, 2004
            2. Mystic River, 2003
            3. Unforgiven, 1992

The first two are masterpieces and two of my favorite movies (I know, I'm sure everyone hates Million Dollar Baby). Unforgiven is the first western I've ever seen that I thought was above average (I have not seen many westerns, but I've tried to watch as many Leone films as I could. I've seen a lot of John Wayne movies, but I honestly can't tell if I've seen one of his movies or ten, because they're all same and he's exactly the same in them, so who knows?).

Unforgiven is a near masterpiece with one of my favorite endings. Eastwoods best performance as well (By far, a truly great performance). Gene Hackman kinda gets overlooked for his generation of actors, but this also has one of his better performances.

On an unrelated note:

Not sure how I feel about this. I do know that the last scene is about as perfect an ending as I've ever seen. The look in Catherine Keener's eyes is what acting is all about. She has, maybe, four minutes of screen time, but that one scene alone should have gotten her a nomination. That child actor was also brilliant. Rarely do you see a kid that young have to carry a movie. I'd compare it to Christian Bale's performance in Empire of the Sun. The kid was simply phenomenal. I thought the movie dragged a little bit though. I'll have to watch it again. I had extremely high expectations and I was let down. Some very nice symbolism though, and, like I said, the last five minutes is simply perfection.
            Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
            Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
            I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
            Originally posted by bearsfan_51
            iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
            Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
            I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
            Originally posted by GoRavens
            Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
              It appears that Leone makes the same, boring three hour movie. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is not an awful movie and if it was reasonably cut down to about an 1 hr. and 50 min. then it would probably be quite good. It also has some awful sound, which seems to be the case with most of his movies... ya know, the whole mouthing moving but no words come out type of deal. I also find Eastwood to be pretty worthless in that who trilogy. He comes walking in out of the blue, all nonchalant-like, shoots someone or someone's hat off, squints into the sun, tongues his cigar, looks down at his boots, adjusts his hat and then grumbles some "cool" one-liner thats supposed to impress me. Well, it didn't. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly does have a very good score (Even if it was used better in a commercial with LT and Troy P). Some very nice directing at times, awful in others. Then I find out he made two movies before that have Eastwood in them and they're exactly the same. I still have not seen Once Upon a Time in America, although I did see the first hour. It seemed to be picking up the pace and getting to the point by the time I turned it off, but I didn't have three hours to watch it.
              *Sigh*

Normally, I'd be inclined to ignore this kind of post, but this is a bit too much for me to take in stride. The pacing in Leone's trilogy is slow by modern standards, but to judge them based on that isn't just silly, it's missing the entire point. The setting of the movies are great and the music Morricone wrote for them form what might be the greatest soundtrack of all-time. Furthermore, these movies completely revolutionized the way people even thought about the western and presented story lines ages more mature than anything up until that time.

Your criticism seem more than a bit shallow. It sounds like you couldn't be bothered to sit through a few really good movies and decided to write the whole thing off. Which sucks, because you're missing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                *Sigh*

Normally, I'd be inclined to ignore this kind of post, but this is a bit too much for me to take in stride. The pacing in Leone's trilogy is slow by modern standards, but to judge them based on that isn't just silly, it's missing the entire point. The setting of the movies are great and the music Morricone wrote for them form what might be the greatest soundtrack of all-time. Furthermore, these movies completely revolutionized the way people even thought about the western and presented story lines ages more mature than anything up until that time.

Your criticism seem more than a bit shallow. It sounds like you couldn't be bothered to sit through a few really good movies and decided to write the whole thing off. Which sucks, because you're missing out.
                Oh, I understand the pacing. You don't have to be a film major to get it. I also understand and realize the pacing is very self-conscious. I think the ending works. I think it is great.

This is what I felt when I saw Once Upon a Time in the West from the get go. Okay, he's doing the whole, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly thing here with a long ass ******* wait before a shootout. The difference here was the line, not the shootout (and ten times longer). You know Fonda is going to win. It just took us 15 minutes to get the great line, "You got two, too many." Wow!!!! My mind is ******* blown. Do I really need to see a guy blow on a fly for that long? I understand what is going on. It's matter of being successful. That is not suspenseful, that is boring. When you are trying and attempting to create mood and atmosphere with tension and suspense and entice boredom from a viewer, very painful boredom, that is a failure. If you call that shallow, then I don't really have a response for that. I didn't watch the movie to see how different it was from previous Westerns.

For me, set pieces and musical scores are there to ENHANCE the film. They aren't the film. I think The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is an average film with an above average ending. I am more than happy to miss out on the rest though. I love movies, but I hate movies of guys kicking dirt around for 20 minutes. The editing is awful in every movie I've seen from his. Every movie of his has been an hour too long. A full hour. Too long. Yet, these movies are masterpieces? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is atrociously flawed from a technical standpoint (sound also kills the performances). Bizarrely overlong. Random and completely pointless social commentaries on war? Do I care? Why don't you save me the 30 minutes Sergio, cut out the entire war commentaries and just stick to the ******* story. The movie is simply unnecessarily long. Once Upon a Time in the West is just unbearable. I watched the ending on Youtube, pretty good ending, I just don't have the patience to sit through what feels like a 5 hour movie.
                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                Originally posted by GoRavens
                Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• BigBanger, your opinion on movies officially means absolutely nothing.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigaro View Post
                    BigBanger, your opinion on movies officially means absolutely nothing.
                    It meant nothing a looooooooooooooong time ago. I think when he tried to tell us Terminator: Salvation was better then T2. That was probably the first day. Although I actually agree with him on Where the Wild Things Are. Max Records kicked ass in that movie, and it had the best score of last year IMO. I had higher expectations for it, but I was satisfied in my disappointment.
                    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                    The APS is strong in this one.
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Any thoughts on In the Loop, watch the first half our yesterday and gunna go finish it right meow. I'm liking it so far but I like British humor a lot so I is be biased.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                      JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                      Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                      Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                      Originally posted by JBCX
                      Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
                        Red Dragon was awesome, and Norton was fantastic in it. wtf
                        That's exactly correct, although William Petersen was almost as good in the original production of the Red Dragon novel, Manhunter, directed by the awesome Michael Mann, I wish it had the bigger budget & arty cinematography of RD over a decade later.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Job
                        Has Edward Norton ever done anything in which he wasn't absolutely fantastic?
                        Nope!

His best movie?........Primal Fear.
                        Big props to Norton for AMX & The 25th Hour with the underrated Barry Pepper, likewise in Rounders opposite Damon & Malkovich. Norton with his undeniable talent digs things out of scripts that other actors never see & puts it right out there on the big screen, like in The Illusionist, also evokes better performances from his costars, as from Rufus Sewell & Paul Giamatti in that film as well.

Gotta just love Norton, he was a History major at Yale.

Comment

• Fight Club is his best movie. Suckers.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Fight Club, Primal Fear and American History X are all acceptable answers. He's just generally awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                              Fight Club is his best movie. Suckers.
                              And the Oscar for Best Self Beatup While Thinking It's Tyler Durden Your Imaginary Friend goes to....

Comment

• Primal Fear really was fantastic. I like Fight Club more as a movie btu I think Norton was better in Primal Fear, he just got stuck opposite Richard Gere being all Richard Gere instead of Brad Pitt playing a nut.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                                Originally posted by JBCX
                                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information