Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Just got through watching The Darjeeling Limited. On one hand I was mazed but just how great a director Wes Anderson really is. I mean I have yet to see a movie of his that I have not liked but he did an incredible job with this one. That being said I couldn't help but feel a little let down. I am big fans of the Schartzman, Brody and Wilson so I expected a lot going in. As great as he is at it I think Wes Anderson should try something else but the quirky comedy because well he is the best quirky comedy director out there, he needs to try his hand at something else.

As for TWBB I disagree that there was not a plot. Everything has a plot except for maybe David Lynch movies. I think TWBB was more of a character study then anything else and it was a brilliant one at that. I think the reason you do not think it had a plot is because it is such a genious movie about these characters that you tend to forget about the story. No Country For Old Men was a powerful film and almost any other year I would want it to win but a film like There Will Be Blood only comes around every couple decades. I think the comparison's to Citizen Kane are spot on because like Kane this film won't be fully appreciated for years.

As for Easter Promises I was extremly let down. Even more so though I was let down by Michael Clayton. I was also let fown by American Gangster. I am watching Margot At The Wedding some time this week so I would go with what Steelers said and watch Gone Baby Gone which is in my top 10 of the year. I would also highly recomend Into The Wild which I believe comes out in a week or so.

Pretty much summed up what i was going to say about TWBB. It did have a plot, but the main focus was not supposed to be on the town of little boston or the oil drilling but DAniel Plainview himself and the choices he made. Kane, was def way before its time in terms of the power of a character study, just like this.

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Just watched Gone Baby Gone and 3:10 to Yuma last night. Gone Baby Gone was pretty great, but the ending wasn't as surprising as people were making it out to be, a solid 8.5. 3:10 to Yuma was... decent, I really enjoyed Ben Foster as Charlie Prince but that's pretty much it, I thought it could've been a whole lot better but still a pretty solid 7.8. And I'm disappointed by the dislike for Eastern Promises, I was about to pop that in and I'll give my thoughts on the movie later.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Orange County is an underrated movie.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Augh. I still havent seen 3:10 to Yuma. I am missing Christian Bale goodness. :(

And a thing about Darjeeling Limited...his representation of India is perfect. Take it from me. I dont know whether I liked the actual movie, or the fact that it was shot where I was born. Either way, I REALLY enjoyed the movie.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Just got done watching No Country For Old Men, it was a good movie, but everyone is acting like it's the greatest thing ever, it lacks the human factor no one seems to care enough lots of people just dieing for no reason

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
              Augh. I still havent seen 3:10 to Yuma. I am missing Christian Bale goodness. :(

And a thing about Darjeeling Limited...his representation of India is perfect. Take it from me. I dont know whether I liked the actual movie, or the fact that it was shot where I was born. Either way, I REALLY enjoyed the movie.
              Wes Anderson is no stranger to Indian Culture. In all of his movies he utilizes the father son duo of Kumar and Deepak Palanna. Also I believe the English/Indian culture relationship defines the eccentricity seen in all Anderson flicks.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed The Darjeeling Limited, I just felt the slightest bit let down. I guess I was hoping for another Rushmore and just had my expectations set way to high. I would still give the film an 8 out of 10.

As for 3:10 to Yuma I also couldn't help but feel a little let down by that. Another very good movie with some great performances but I would not call it one of the 10 best films of the year. I would probably give it a 7 out of 10. My opinion may change though because I will be writing a huge paper on it for film class and I will get another couple viewings to see if I missed something the first time.

Comment

• Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                  Augh. I still havent seen 3:10 to Yuma. I am missing Christian Bale goodness. :(

Have you seen The Namesake? I've heard great things about it, and trailer alone looked a great. I'll probably give it a look pretty soon too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                    Have you seen The Namesake? I've heard great things about it, and trailer alone looked a great. I'll probably give it a look pretty soon too.
                    Kal Penn is awesome in it. I find him to be a really versatile actor.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Kal Penn is great. I have been a fan of his since Harold and Kumar and he never seems to give a bad performance, lets just forget about Van Wilder 2. He is awesome on House right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                        Nope. Seeing that it has Kal Penn in it, I kind of want to watch it somewhat soon. It has never been up high on my to-watch list though.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
                          Yeah I won't disagree with adsch, Eastern Promises was rather disappointing. I don't think it's really overrated since I don't hear as many people rave about it. Some good acting, though. I thought it would be better, but it's still a movie I'd want to watch again.
                          David Cronenberg is a really good director IMO. I really enjoyed A History of Violence and I thought Eastern Promises was even better.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                          Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• Cronenberg's The Fly is genious.

Comment

• Haven't seen that one, Ill have to check it out. +rep

^A Bonekrusher production^
                              Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• His early horrors like Videodrome and Scanners are awesome but The Fly is his best horror. Plus is has Jeff Goldblum at his finest.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information