Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
    See, I feel like I can never walk out of a movie because I just don't like wasting money.
    See, this is where the economist mentality is well used.

Purchasing a movie ticket, automatically, is a sunk cost. As in, whether you watch the movie or not, you paid the money.

If halfway through the movie, you realize it's complete garbage, are you really gonna get any satisfaction of sitting through another hour of garbage? You're not wasting any more money than you already did, so leaving, and saving yourself the time would be the logical thing to do, as you're not gonna get anything in return for staying there till the end of the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
      See, this is where the economist mentality is well used.

Purchasing a movie ticket, automatically, is a sunk cost. As in, whether you watch the movie or not, you paid the money.

If halfway through the movie, you realize it's complete garbage, are you really gonna get any satisfaction of sitting through another hour of garbage? You're not wasting any more money than you already did, so leaving, and saving yourself the time would be the logical thing to do, as you're not gonna get anything in return for staying there till the end of the movie.
      If I leave the movie early, I will most likely spend more money on the extra time I now have from walking out of the movie. If I remain in the theater, my cost will be the same for the last hour of the film.

And who knows, maybe I might get something in return. Maybe the real breaks and I get to have a free movie coupon to see something that wasn't crappy.

Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

If I leave the movie early, I will most likely spend more money on the extra time I now have from walking out of the movie. If I remain in the theater, my cost will be the same for the last hour of the film.

And who knows, maybe I might get something in return. Maybe the real breaks and I get to have a free movie coupon to see something that wasn't crappy.
        Lol well of course, those economic thoughts are based on everything remaining constant. You can't measure what might happen in the future.

Comment

Lol well of course, those economic thoughts are based on everything remaining constant. You can't measure what might happen in the future.
          My economic views consist with what people will do in the future based on probability. I find it more fun that way.

On a side note, I just started reading the book "Freakenomics". It is pretty interesting, but I don't like the way he relates some of the data to his own theories. I feel they are a little flimsy at times.

Comment

My economic views consist with what people will do in the future based on probability. I find it more fun that way.

On a side note, I just started reading the book "Freakenomics". It is pretty interesting, but I don't like the way he relates some of the data to his own theories. I feel they are a little flimsy at times.
            Yeah, when it comes to the most common, established rules, you'll always see the lovely little phrase ceteris paribus, at the end, which means "all things constant".

Never read that book. Who's the author?

Comment

Yeah, when it comes to the most common, established rules, you'll always see the lovely little phrase ceteris paribus, at the end, which means "all things constant".

Never read that book. Who's the author?
              Yeah, my Macro/Managerial Economics teacher was a sticular for everything she said to end with ceteris paribus. My point is that you can always do a survey of moviegoers who leave a movie early and my guess is that they will decide to spend money while the movie is still going on, thus using up more money than they would if they stayed in the theater.

And the book is by Steve Levitt: http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-R...3774396&sr=8-1

Comment

Yeah, my Macro/Managerial Economics teacher was a sticular for everything she said to end with ceteris paribus. My point is that you can always do a survey of moviegoers who leave a movie early and my guess is that they will decide to spend money while the movie is still going on, thus using up more money than they would if they stayed in the theater.

And the book is by Steve Levitt: http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-R...3774396&sr=8-1
                But why i don't understand is why you would stay in the theater if you were done watching a movie lol.

BTW, seen any good movies lately? I've been meaning to.. "get".. some.

Comment

But why i don't understand is why you would stay in the theater if you were done watching a movie lol.

BTW, seen any good movies lately? I've been meaning to.. "get".. some.
                  In Bruges, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Be Kind Rewind. Those are my top 3 in what has so far been a very lackluster year. All three are also getable if you get movies using ways that involve the internet. Other than that I watch a lot of TV series. I am currently wating Californication and Veronica Mars again. Californication is very good and Veronica Mars is genious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                    In Bruges, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Be Kind Rewind. Those are my top 3 in what has so far been a very lackluster year. All three are also getable if you get movies using ways that involve the internet. Other than that I watch a lot of TV series. I am currently wating Californication and Veronica Mars again. Californication is very good and Veronica Mars is genious.
                    Yeah, that was the type of "getting" i was referring to. I've seen FSM, and i agree that it is a good movie. Had me laughing a lot, and Mila Kunis is sooo f'ing gorgeous.

Never seen the other two, so i'll be sure to check em out.

Comment

• In Bruges you will for sure enjoy and Be Kind Rewind you may or may not enjoy as from what I hear there are a lot of haters.

Comment

In Bruges you will for sure enjoy and Be Kind Rewind you may or may not enjoy as from what I hear there are a lot of haters.
                        It was a decent film, but nothing special. I actually was really excited for it, but I didn't like the performances from Jack Black or Mos Def very much in the film.

Also, Narnia was actually a well-made film this year.

Comment

It was a decent film, but nothing special. I actually was really excited for it, but I didn't like the performances from Jack Black or Mos Def very much in the film.

Also, Narnia was actually a well-made film this year.
                          i havent seen narnia, but i will when a good torrent comes out for it. I actually didnt mind the first one. On another note that i forgot to mention about the Hulk, it gives us a really cool look at what the super soldier serum will do for captain america, and a little preview as to what his abilities will be like. I recommend everyone go see The Incredible Hulk. HULK SMASH! yes, he says that too.
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

In Bruges you will for sure enjoy and Be Kind Rewind you may or may not enjoy as from what I hear there are a lot of haters.
                            both are excellent, Be Kind Rewind I thought was funny. I enjoyed that it was kind of a tribute to DIY.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Be Kind Rewind was a bad attempt at being a Frank Capra movie and the more I think about it, the less I like it.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I just watched 21. I realize it cam out a while ago but we finally got a watchable bootleg of it out here. I enjoyed it a lot mainly because I enjoy gambling in Las Vegas. I also enjoy Kate Bosworth

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information