Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For me.

1. Daniel Day Lewis - He's just on another plane as an actor. Quality over Quanity.

2. Phillips Seymour Hoffman - Consistently comes out with great work. 2007 alone was sick with BTDKYD, Savages and Charlie Wilson's War. And "Synecdoche, New York", which is my most anticipated movie this year. PSH and Charlie Kaufman together, hell yes. Anxious to see how Kaufman is as a director though.

3. Johnny Depp - Versatile would be an understatement. You have to respect the roles he goes for and the performances he gives.

4. Leonardo Dicaprio - Maybe a little high for some, but agian consistenly comes out with great stuff. If you look at his Filmography the past 5 years, it's amazing. The Departed, Blood Diamonds, The Aviator, Gangs of New York and Catch me if you can. Always enjoy his work.

5. Paul Dano - If Gonzo and Fish has Foster and APS has Reynolds. I can have Dano. Plus his performance in TWBB was absolutely amazing.

Edit: In all seriousness and man crushes aside, I would probably have to put a guy like Sean Penn at number 5. One of my favorites. 21 Grams, Dead Man..., I am Sam just to name a few.
    Last edited by Paul; 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
      For me.

1. Daniel Day Lewis - He's just on another plane as an actor. Quality over Quanity.

2. Phillips Seymour Hoffman - Consistently comes out with great work. 2007 alone was sick with BTDKYD, Savages and Charlie Wilson's War. And "Synecdoche, New York", which is my most anticipated movie this year. PSH and Charlie Kaufman together, hell yes. Anxious to see how Kaufman is as a director though.

3. Johnny Depp - Versatile would be an understatement. You have to respect the roles he goes for and the performances he gives.

4. Leonardo Dicaprio - Maybe a little high for some, but agian consistenly comes out with great stuff. If you look at his Filmography the past 5 years, it's amazing. The Departed, Blood Diamonds, The Aviator, Gangs of New York and Catch me if you can. Always enjoy his work.
      ++, Completely agree with the top four (though I would switch the top 2). Dicaprio is overrated by some yet not appreciated at the same time. His directors have been top notch but I cannot say that I can think of any actors that would perform the roles he had better than him.

Comment

• My Top 5 would be-

1. Ryan Reynolds- Jokes hahaha but he is in my top 10, just not my top 5

1. Kevin Spacey- He has played 3 of my all time favourite film characters: Verbal Kint, Lester Burnham and John Doe. He can play any character, any person, in any situation. I have no doubt that he is one of, if not the best actor of our generation, one who is severely underrated as well. Not alot of people think of Kevin Spacey when discussing best actors, but he truly is one of the best out there.

2. Edward Norton- Not simply because of his ability to completely immerse himself in a role (see Fight Club, American History X), but because of the variety of roles that he chooses. The breadth of his portfolio is practically unmatched.

3. Phillip Seymour Hoffman- What to say? The man can do it all, and he does it without relying on pretty boy good looks or stereotypical acting charisma. Just an incredible actor who really astounds me with each of his roles.

4. Robert Downey Junior- This is where it starts to get sloppy. You can argue that he is one dimensional (which he isnt) and that his personal issues will prevent him from ever becoming a great actor, but I think those issues actually add to the depth he can bring to a role. There are so many actors to place here so obviously favoratism plays into it, but Robert Downey Junior is a truly great actor.

5. Johnny Depp- This one was very close between several actors, and I will name the short list after. However, Johnny Depp's undeniable ability to turn oddball characters into memorable performances is what separates him from the rest of the pack as far as acting goes. However again this is all subjunctive, and Im sure some of you will disagree he doesnt belong here.

Short List: Daniel Day Lewis, Russell Crowe, Leonardo Dicaprio, Paul Giamatti, Denzel Washington, Christian Bale, Ryan Reynolds, Matt Damon
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
          My Top 5 would be-

1. Ryan Reynolds- Jokes hahaha but he is in my top 10, just not my top 5

1. Kevin Spacey- He has played 3 of my all time favourite film characters: Verbal Kint, Lester Burnham and John Doe. He can play any character, any person, in any situation. I have no doubt that he is one of, if not the best actor of our generation, one who is severely underrated as well. Not alot of people think of Kevin Spacey when discussing best actors, but he truly is one of the best out there.

2. Edward Norton- Not simply because of his ability to completely immerse himself in a role (see Fight Club, American History X), but because of the variety of roles that he chooses. The breadth of his portfolio is practically unmatched.

3. Phillip Seymour Hoffman- What to say? The man can do it all, and he does it without relying on pretty boy good looks or stereotypical acting charisma. Just an incredible actor who really astounds me with each of his roles.

4. Robert Downey Junior- This is where it starts to get sloppy. You can argue that he is one dimensional (which he isnt) and that his personal issues will prevent him from ever becoming a great actor, but I think those issues actually add to the depth he can bring to a role. There are so many actors to place here so obviously favoratism plays into it, but Robert Downey Junior is a truly great actor.

5. Johnny Depp- This one was very close between several actors, and I will name the short list after. However, Johnny Depp's undeniable ability to turn oddball characters into memorable performances is what separates him from the rest of the pack as far as acting goes. However again this is all subjunctive, and Im sure some of you will disagree he doesnt belong here.
          Honestly, all of the actors you stated above could be interchanged with any of mine and I wouldn't think twice. That goes double for Edward Norton and Kevin Spacey. Whoever impresses me the most based on recent films will get the nod.
          Add your list to mine and you basically have my top 10 is what I am saying.

Comment

• I'd probably go with PSH first, then Daniel Day Lewis, with Paul Giamatti, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Spacey, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Depp, and the seemingly overlooked Viggo Mortensen shortly behind.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I think it's kind of funny how underappreciated Dicaprio still is.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Hoffman is amazing in 25th hour, as is Norton. A very underrated movie, and a must for Norton, Hoffman, or Spike Lee fans.
                Last edited by Duster; 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
                  I would say Philip Seymour Hoffman is the best actor of the last decade. Daniel Day is another great choice, but his entire catalog is about the size of most actors' sample sizes. I did not enjoy Gangs of New York and he didn't impress me in it. However, he was great in Ballad of Jack and Rose. If you go back about 20 odd years his performance in My Beautiful Laundrette becomes noteworthy. Depp is decent but a little too caricatural for my taste. His roles don't seem dynamic to me.
                  Go see Finding Neverland and Blow, then come back to me. Depp can not only transform himself into a character but he can also play a part where he's recognizable.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                  Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                    Go see Finding Neverland and Blow, then come back to me. Depp can not only transform himself into a character but he can also play a part where he's recognizable.
                    Depp is great in Blow but I can't help but notice Ray Liotta's performance in that film. Despite his lack of screen time, it's one of his great performances, up there with Goodfellas.

Comment

• wait, you guys rating alive/current actors or all time?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Current actors I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                          Current actors I believe.
                          That is what I thought, I wasnt sure. By the way, no love for Robert De Niro or even Gabriel Byrne?
                          Last edited by Brent; 07-03-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• speaking of Byrne, I think it's time to watch Bryan Singer's best work. and speaking of Singer, who is excited to see Valkyrie whenever that is supposed to come out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              That is what I thought, I wasnt sure. By the way, no love for Robert De Niro or even Gabriel Byrne?
                              Because DeNiro hasn't done anything noteworthy since Ronin.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Duster View Post
                                Hoffman is amazing in 25th hour, as is Norton. A very underrated movie, and a must for Norton, Hoffman, or Spike Lee fans.

I didn't particular like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information