Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
    Brian's Song, Jerry Maguire, The Longest Yard (74 version), and Friday Night Lights beg to differ.
    I haven't watched Brian's Song or the original The Longest Yard yet, so I can't comment there although I have heard great things about Brian's Song.

Jerry Maguire isn't really about football, but I think it's a mediocre film at best anyway. I'm not really into romantic movies though, so that could explain why I don't think it's very good. This is movies we're talking about, so it's all subjective.

Friday Night Lights was OK, but I don't even know how much better it was than a film like Varsity Blues. Pretty typical stuff and I don't think it really compares to a film like Any Given Sunday that tries to explore some new realms in sports film.

Comment

• **** off, we all know that "The Replacements" is the best football movie ever made. And Im not joking in the slightest. One of the funniest movies I think I have ever seen in my entire life. I laughed so damn hard. I love The Replacements. And Any Given Sunday was great, but it was not as great as it was made out to be. However, the speech at the end, Peaces With Inches, is one of the most inspirational things ever. I used to listen to it before every game. But as a pure football movie, I prefer Friday Night Lights
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Boy View Post
        I haven't watched Brian's Song or the original The Longest Yard yet, so I can't comment there although I have heard great things about Brian's Song.

Jerry Maguire isn't really about football, but I think it's a mediocre film at best anyway. I'm not really into romantic movies though, so that could explain why I don't think it's very good. This is movies we're talking about, so it's all subjective.

Friday Night Lights was OK, but I don't even know how much better it was than a film like Varsity Blues. Pretty typical stuff and I don't think it really compares to a film like Any Given Sunday that tries to explore some new realms in sports film.

anyone who doesnt like Jerry Maguire is nuts. Its one of Tom Cruise's best films and is an overall fantastic movie. If you put your bias against romantic films aside (which is a poor bias to have, because some of the greatest movies of all time have been romantic films), you would really appreciate it for what it is, which is an awesome movie. I just bought Jerry Maguire a few weeks ago, and I can say im glad i did.
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
          anyone who doesnt like Jerry Maguire is nuts. Its one of Tom Cruise's best films and is an overall fantastic movie. If you put your bias against romantic films aside (which is a poor bias to have, because some of the greatest movies of all time have been romantic films), you would really appreciate it for what it is, which is an awesome movie. I just bought Jerry Maguire a few weeks ago, and I can say im glad i did.
          How can you say somebody is nuts for not liking a film? That's like saying somebody is nuts for not liking AC/DC. It's just a matter of opinion.

Tom Cruise to me is a mediocre actor at best. I'm trying to think of some quality acting performances he's put forth but honestly I can't.

As for my supposed "bias" against romantic films, I'm not sure what you mean there. I like some genres more than other, just as I'm sure you do. That's not to say I don't like any romantic films because I do like some, but the list is definitely a lot shorter than the amount of documentaries or crime films I enjoy.

Comment

• I can agree with you that Jerry Maguire was not as good as it was hyped up to be IMO but saying Tom Cruise is a mediocre actor at best is just foolish. He gives two of my all time favorite performances in Born on the Fourth of July and Magnolia. Those to roles prove that he is actually pretty damn good actor when he puts his mi to it.

Comment

• Collateral is one of my favorite Cruise performances as well. I feel some people underrate him just because of his recent behavior.

Comment

• Friday Night Lights = epic

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

• I was going to mention Collateral but the two I mentioned are my favorites.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                    **** off, we all know that "The Replacements" is the best football movie ever made. And Im not joking in the slightest. One of the funniest movies I think I have ever seen in my entire life. I laughed so damn hard. I love The Replacements. And Any Given Sunday was great, but it was not as great as it was made out to be. However, the speech at the end, Peaces With Inches, is one of the most inspirational things ever. I used to listen to it before every game. But as a pure football movie, I prefer Friday Night Lights

He's right. The Replacements is argualy the best football movie ever made. And at first, I was afraid to admit that. In fact, I was petrified. :D

Comment

• Replacements the best football movie ever? I turned it off halfway through. Unwatchable imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                        I feel some people underrate him just because of his recent behavior.
                        Absolutely.

Comment

• best football movie?

remember the titans. lest we forget denzel kills.
                          you also have to remember you HP fans. what that little football talking mongrel turned out to be.
                          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Speaking of Tom Cruise, I bought a couple bargain bin movies yesterday. One being War of the Worlds, the other being a new copy of Antwone Fisher because, I gave mine away. God, I love that movie. Anyway, back to Cruise and WOTW, I watched it for the first time today. Not bad considering it has three actors in it that I absolutely cant stand. (Cruise, Fanning, Chatwin) Thank god for Tim Robbins because, I really dont like any of them. But yeah, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I love those "epic" end of the world type movies. I've just never gotten around to seeing this one because, well like I said, i pretty much hate the cast. That being said though, I'm glad i bought it, it surprised me a bit. Not great but, not that bad. :)

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                            KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                              Replacements the best football movie ever? I turned it off halfway through. Unwatchable imo.
                              I wouldnt say it's the best but, I really like it. I love the concept of getting a bunch of nobodys and has beens to fill a pro team roster. Awesome. I also loved the assembled cast. Very funny movie. I own it and have seen it a good 10+ times.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                Speaking of Tom Cruise, I bought a couple bargain bin movies yesterday. One being War of the Worlds, the other being a new copy of Antwone Fisher because, I gave mine away. God, I love that movie. Anyway, back to Cruise and WOTW, I watched it for the first time today. Not bad considering it has three actors in it that I absolutely cant stand. (Cruise, Fanning, Chatwin) Thank god for Tim Robbins because, I really dont like any of them. But yeah, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I love those "epic" end of the world type movies. I've just never gotten around to seeing this one because, well like I said, i pretty much hate the cast. That being said though, I'm glad i bought it, it surprised me a bit. Not great but, not that bad. :)
                                I think Tom Cruise is one of the better actors of the current generation TBH. His resume is impressive, and includes some of my all time faves. He gave strong performances in:

Rain Man
                                Born on the 4th of July
                                Collateral
                                Minority Report (one of my favorites)
                                Risky Business
                                Top Gun
                                Mission Impossible
                                Days Of Thunder
                                Jerry Maguire
                                Magnolia

All good Tom Cruise movies, and Im sure I forgot some. Hes a very good actor, just because he has a hot wife and doesnt believe in God people hate on him. I say, GO TOM CRUISE!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information