No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To each his own I suppose. But, if you really are going to take into account the hype surrounding a movie then there is something wrong with ya.

^A Bonekrusher production^
    Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

• I do have to wait a couple of years for TDK to age a bit to get a full view of it, being that some comic book movies tend to get far worse after a couple of years (see: Spider-Man 2), but I think it'll hold up as one of the better movies of the decade.

Also, I do manage to avoid a good portion of the bad movies and I have been seeing a lot less movies since starting college, but that's what the Internet is for.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• The Dark Knight fell short of transcending the genre. Maybe Watchmen can pick up the pieces and finally do that.

To transcend the genre the film has to be perfect and TDK was far from it.
        Last edited by Bruce Banner; 10-23-2008, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
          The Dark Knight just fell short of transcending the genre. Maybe Watchmen can pick up the pieces and finally do that.

To transcend the genre the film has to be perfect and TDK was far from it.
          TDK was good and solid. But not a breathtaking work of cinematic genius.
          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Turtlepower's Favorite Movies of 08

1. WALL-E
            2. Iron Man
            3. Burn After Reading
            4. Dark Knight
            5. Tropic Thunder
            6. Incredible Hulk
            7. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
            8. Pineapple Express
            9. Cronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
            10. Kung Fu Panda

Other Movies I have seen and did not enjoy as much as the ten above:
            Cloverfield, Indiana Jones, Hancock, Wanted, In Bruges, Harold & Kumar, Be Kind Rewind, Mamma Mia, Step Brothers, Definitely Maybe, Chaos Theory, Baby Mama, Strange Wilderness, Mad Money.

In case anyone was wondering, these are my favorite movies of the year, not necessarily the best cinematically. With everyone saying how Dark Knight is the best film of the year, I'd love to see where other films are ranked near it.

Originally posted by Halsey
            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

• Watchmen, based on the source material, has the ability to be much better then TDK. TDK, while an incredible movie, offered nothing groundbreaking and you could effectively argue that beyond Heath Ledger's performance, the film is a rather ordinary crime drama. Not that the other actors didnt all hold their own (I Personally thought Gary Oldman was fantastic, as he usually is), but it isnt the perfect film alot of casual movie goers made it out to be. It definately had its flaws.

I agree with Gonzo, a movie like Memento (again, im bias, its one of my top 5 of all time) is, IMO, better then TDK, if only for its interesting spin on classical hollywood narrative and the way the film is told.

But Watchmen should be incredible. The cast is very very intriguing (especially Jackie Earle Haley, who should by all means kick ass, he was awesome in Little Children), and obviously its coming from a very strong source material and has a gifted visual director. Already the scenes look straight out of the comic and its nice to see a straight up adaption.

And I watched the Big Lebowski last night again, its been a while since I had seen it, and **** do I love John Goodman in that movie. Just ******* hilarious.

And TP, I should have you murdered for talking badly about the goddess Scarlett. I dont see how she would bring that movie down any worse then some of the other actresses...unlike them, Scarlett can actually act.
              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
              The APS is strong in this one.
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                Watchmen, based on the source material, has the ability to be much better then TDK. TDK, while an incredible movie, offered nothing groundbreaking and you could effectively argue that beyond Heath Ledger's performance, the film is a rather ordinary crime drama. Not that the other actors didnt all hold their own (I Personally thought Gary Oldman was fantastic, as he usually is), but it isnt the perfect film alot of casual movie goers made it out to be. It definately had its flaws.

I agree with Gonzo, a movie like Memento (again, im bias, its one of my top 5 of all time) is, IMO, better then TDK, if only for its interesting spin on classical hollywood narrative and the way the film is told.

But Watchmen should be incredible. The cast is very very intriguing (especially Jackie Earle Haley, who should by all means kick ass, he was awesome in Little Children), and obviously its coming from a very strong source material and has a gifted visual director. Already the scenes look straight out of the comic and its nice to see a straight up adaption.

And I watched the Big Lebowski last night again, its been a while since I had seen it, and **** do I love John Goodman in that movie. Just ******* hilarious.

I support this message.
                http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                  Eh, you may be write there. I do have faith that even though it is only two and a half hours it has been done write. I swear I read somewhere that it was pushing 3 hours but I may be wrong.
                  I've read that it's at Two hours and Forty Three minutes right now and they don't expect to have to cut it down much if at all.

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                  I really enjoyed TDK but I would still rate Memento above it.
                  Well Memento's a great film love the story structure and the over-arching theme is briliantly displayed. TDK was incredibly entertaining, but not a great film.

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  Watchmen, based on the source material, has the ability to be much better then TDK. TDK, while an incredible movie, offered nothing groundbreaking and you could effectively argue that beyond Heath Ledger's performance, the film is a rather ordinary crime drama. Not that the other actors didnt all hold their own (I Personally thought Gary Oldman was fantastic, as he usually is), but it isnt the perfect film alot of casual movie goers made it out to be. It definately had its flaws.

And TP, I should have you murdered for talking badly about the goddess Scarlett. I dont see how she would bring that movie down any worse then some of the other actresses...unlike them, Scarlett can actually act.
                  I have loved Gary Oldman since I first saw Leon The Professional, that movie actually features three actors/actresses I really love Oldman, Reno and Portman.

Walter and Donnie make the big lebowski for me, I mean all the characters are great but those two are ******* awesome.

Comment

• I might go see Pride and Glory tomorrow. Norton is worthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
                      I might go see Pride and Glory tomorrow. Norton is worthy.
                      Reviews have been pretty bad so far but it is intruiging.

Comment

Not surprised whatsoever.

Comment

I thought it looked good. Worth a shot.

Comment

• Not shocking that a movie with Colin Farrell is getting bad reviews

Comment

• I like Jeezy, but the whole 'Put On' thing as the background song just didn't do it for me.

They could have chosen better. Something more dramatic.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                                Not shocking that a movie with Colin Farrell is getting bad reviews
                                Dont hate. I think that when Farrell doesnt choose douche bag roles, he is a fine actor. He was awesome in In Bruges and A Home At The End of the world, and was even bearable in Phone Booth which I dont think was nearly as bad a movie as most people believe. Team him with Norton, Jon Voight, Ill definately end up wathcing that movie.
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information