Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1.

    The Wrestler

    And there we have it folks, the number one movie of the year. This was a tough choice, ideally I would have had a 1a, 1b, and 1c, but that would've gotten me verbally abused so I had to give it to The Wrestler. What led me to this was the subject matter, I was and to an extent still am a big wrestling fan. This movie really shows my vision of what I think wrestling is actually about. What more needs to be said about Mickey Rourke as Randy "The Ram" Robinson? It's the best performance of the year (arguably of all time) and the best character of the year. Marissa Tomei plays a great compliment to the aging wrestler, as an aging stripper. Evan Rachel Wood though her time in the movie is brief, gives a heartwarming performance as the uncared for daughter of The Ram. All around this movie is nearly perfect in every way, it tugs at all the heart strings and as soon as the final scene cut to black I was in tears.

    Score: 9.9/10

    Thank you for reading my top 10 of 2008.

    BoneKrusher

    Comment


    • Excellent movie indeed. Good list sir.




      Comment


      • Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
        Besides Cinemtagoraphy and Directing, I think Tropic Thunder was a better made film than Benjamin Button.

        And to HChu, it is a damn shame that Wall-E will win the oscar for Best Animated Film along with past winners Happy Feet and Shrek...
        So Tropic Thunder had superior acting and a better story?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by HChu View Post
          1.The Wrestler

          And there we have it folks, the number one movie of the year. This was a tough choice, ideally I would have had a 1a, 1b, and 1c, but that would've gotten me verbally abused so I had to give it to The Wrestler. What led me to this was the subject matter, I was and to an extent still am a big wrestling fan. This movie really shows my vision of what I think wrestling is actually about. What more needs to be said about Mickey Rourke as Randy "The Ram" Robinson? It's the best performance of the year (arguably of all time) and the best character of the year. Marissa Tomei plays a great compliment to the aging wrestler, as an aging stripper. Evan Rachel Wood though her time in the movie is brief, gives a heartwarming performance as the uncared for daughter of The Ram. All around this movie is nearly perfect in every way, it tugs at all the heart strings and as soon as the final scene cut to black I was in tears.

          Score: 9.9/10

          Thank you for reading my top 10 of 2008.
          I haven't heard of this movie other than from people here and I figured I'd go see it but it wasn't being shown in any movie theaters around me. Did it have a limited release or am I just unlucky?

          Sig by Hitman D.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paul View Post
            So Tropic Thunder had superior acting and a better story?
            I honestly believe it did. It really is tough to judge acting in a comedy versus acting in a dramatic work like Button, but I would say that Robert Downey Jr. did a better acting job in Tropic Thunder than anyone in Benjamin Button. I'll even add that the role of Tom Cruise was better than everyone, but Taraji P. Henson.


            Originally posted by Halsey
            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

            Comment


            • The wrestler wasn't my kind of movie....So it's definately not my number one...but I have no doubt that Mickey Rourke deserves best actor for this role. The movie just missed on a few things for me. He tries to connect with his daughter....does and then doesn't show them together again...although atleast a week passed by? The meat cutter....that was intentional right? Just wasn't a complete movie for me....I enjoyed the story but was underwelmed...with how it progressed....acting is the only reason I see we are talking about this movie.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by thule View Post
                The wrestler wasn't my kind of movie....So it's definately not my number one...but I have no doubt that Mickey Rourke deserves best actor for this role. The movie just missed on a few things for me. He tries to connect with his daughter....does and then doesn't show them together again...although atleast a week passed by? The meat cutter....that was intentional right? Just wasn't a complete movie for me....I enjoyed the story but was underwelmed...with how it progressed....acting is the only reason I see we are talking about this movie.
                Yeah, the meatcutter was intentional.

                BoneKrusher

                Comment


                • Originally posted by HChu View Post
                  Yeah, the meatcutter was intentional.
                  That was my one question...the stream I watched kinda made it hard to tell. At first I'm like...ok he wants the workers comp...but then he just told him to screw off and left....so then I figured maybe it ran threw his mind that if he didn't hurt himself he'd wake up and go back the next day. Which I think is probably the case....It just didn't relate to me...I've been walk out mad on a job before...but I wouldn't harm myself to quit...I would spit in the egg salad or something.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by thule View Post
                    The wrestler wasn't my kind of movie....So it's definately not my number one...but I have no doubt that Mickey Rourke deserves best actor for this role. The movie just missed on a few things for me. He tries to connect with his daughter....does and then doesn't show them together again...although atleast a week passed by? The meat cutter....that was intentional right? Just wasn't a complete movie for me....I enjoyed the story but was underwelmed...with how it progressed....acting is the only reason I see we are talking about this movie.
                    Connects with her, and then they agree to have dinner. But he messes that up when he goes to a bar after a show and hooks up with a ringrat, and forgets to go to dinner with his daughter.




                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by thule View Post
                      That was my one question...the stream I watched kinda made it hard to tell. At first I'm like...ok he wants the workers comp...but then he just told him to screw off and left....so then I figured maybe it ran threw his mind that if he didn't hurt himself he'd wake up and go back the next day. Which I think is probably the case....It just didn't relate to me...I've been walk out mad on a job before...but I wouldn't harm myself to quit...I would spit in the egg salad or something.
                      It was just to show how he had nothing good left going on in his life.

                      BoneKrusher

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by comahan View Post
                        Connects with her, and then they agree to have dinner. But he messes that up when he goes to a bar after a show and hooks up with a ringrat, and forgets to go to dinner with his daughter.
                        Ok...another thing I missed....still doesn't change my opinion...but thanks for tying up the loose ends on that for me. BTW I thought the ending was perfect.

                        Comment


                        • Gran Torino was excellent. Been dying to see it since reading what everyone on hear said about it.

                          Just a crazy old man sits on his porch, drinking Pabst and spitting.


                          Comment


                          • watching gran torino right now...even though theres a bunch of racist stuff in the movie (im asian), its a really good movie

                            Comment


                            • Watched Slumdog Millionaire a few nights ago. Great great movie, now I see what all the hype is about.

                              Comment


                              • I saw Get Smart and was pleasantly surprised. It was a lot funnier than I thought it was going to be. The Rock also needs to be in more movies.

                                Sig by Hitman D.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information