No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One nomination that really sticks out for me, other then the ridiculous love for The Reader, is Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder. Its very rare for the Academy to give that kind of love for a character from a comedy. Now I dont think he will win, because if they give it to anyone other then Ledger, fans will burn the ******* place down, but I just thought that was an odd nomination for the Academy. Dunno, maybe Im wrong, just how im feeling on that one.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by comahan View Post
      Whoa, Springsteen didnt even get NOMINATED?

:|
      I will punch a child for this.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• PREDICTION RESULTS

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Correct - Dustin Lance Black for "Milk"
        "Other Possibilities" list - Andrew Stanton for "WALL·E", Mike Leigh for "Happy-Go-Lucky", Martin McDonaugh for "In Bruges"
        Missed - Courtney Hunt for "Frozen River"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Correct - Eric Roth for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", John Patrick Shanley for "Doubt", Peter Morgan for "Frost/Nixon", Simon Beaufoy for "Slumdog Millionaire"
        "Other Possibilities" list - David Hare for "The Reader"
        Missed - None

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Correct - Penelope Cruz for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona", Viola Davis for "Doubt", Taraji P Henson for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Marisa Tomei for "The Wrestler"
        "Other Possibilities" list - Amy Adams for "Doubt"
        Missed - None

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Correct - Josh Brolin for "Milk", Robert Downey Jr for "Tropic Thunder", Philip Seymour Hoffman for "Doubt", Heath Ledger for "The Dark Knight"
        "Other Possibilities" list - Michael Shannon for "Revolutionary Road"
        Missed - None

BEST DIRECTOR
        Correct - Danny Boyle for "Slumdog Millionaire", David Fincher for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Ron Howard for "Frost/Nixon", Gus Van Sant for "Milk"
        "Other Possibilities" list - Stephen Daldry for "The Reader"
        Missed - None

BEST ACTRESS
        Correct - Anne Hathaway for "Rachel Getting Married", Angelina Jolie for "Changeling", Melissa Leo for "Frozen River", Meryl Streep for "Doubt"
        "Other Possibilities" list - None
        Missed - Kate Winslet for "The Reader" (Predicted the wrong Winslet Role!)

BEST ACTOR
        Correct - Richard Jenkins for "The Visitor", Frank Langella for "Frost/Nixon", Sean Penn for "Milk", Brad Pitt for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler"
        "Other Possibilities" list - None
        Missed - None

BEST PICTURE
        Correct - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", "Slumdog Millionaire"
        "Other Possibilities" list - "The Reader"
        Missed - None

PREDICTED CORRECTLY - 30
        ON THE OTHER POSSIBILITIES LIST - 8
        COMPLETELY MISSED - 2

Comment

• I'm watching The Reader today. Lets see if I agree with Brodeur on its mediocrity.

Comment

• From what I hear, the Academy got swayed from the criticism that Revolutionary Road was "Oscar Bait". What a crying shame that Kate Winslett was not nominated for Best Actress. Also, I predict Meryl Streep will undeservingly win the award. I ****ing hate the Oscars.

Originally posted by Halsey
            I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

• I thought The Reader wasn't even close to movies like Frost/Nixon, TCCOBB, TDK, etc...The Oscars are a joke.

I'm sorry but TDK had some of the best dialog I've seen in a while and it doesn't even get nominated for best adapted screenplay? I guess I can see best picture because it is based on a comic (even though it's not a comic book movie), but I thought their screenplay no doubt should have been a finalist.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
              Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                I thought The Reader wasn't even close to movies like Frost/Nixon, TCCOBB, TDK, etc...The Oscars are a joke.

I'm sorry but TDK had some of the best dialog I've seen in a while and it doesn't even get nominated for best adapted screenplay? I guess I can see best picture because it is based on a comic (even though it's not a comic book movie), but I thought their screenplay no doubt should have been a finalist.
                The Dark Knight didn't really have a great screenplay. The third act of the movie was pretty poorly written and the dialogue was really corny and forced at times by lesser characters. Dark Knight got snubbed, but not for adapted screenplay.

Comment

• Dialogue isnt all that makes a screenplay like TDK. A ton of people were bugged by a storylines in the middle of the movie.

The Gordon-Died-But-Isnt-Really-Dead-And-Catches-Joker-Only-To-Find-Out-That-Joker-Wanted-To-Be-Caught thing? Yea, a ton of people hated that.

Comment

• Just to cheer everyone up from the sadness of the Oscar Nominees...

DRAINAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• There is no sadness for me sir. Snubs happen. Im excited about the nominees.

I think the only true TDK snub was Picture, although I dont think id really argue if someone would want to say Director was snubbed.

Comment

There is no sadness for me sir. Snubs happen. Im excited about the nominees.

I think the only true TDK snub was Picture, although I dont think id really argue if someone would want to say Director was snubbed.
                        Kate Winslett for Best Actress is the biggest snub for me.

My two most pleasant surprises: Michael Shannon nod and WALL-E for Original Screenplay. I would like to see both of them win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                          Kate Winslett for Best Actress is the biggest snub for me.

My two most pleasant surprises: Michael Shannon nod and WALL-E for Original Screenplay. I would like to see both of them win.
                          Well, Winslet still got nominated for Best Actress, just not for the movie most people expected. They considered her a Lead in Reader, and the Oscars dont allow a person to be nominated in the same category twice in one year, so it wasnt possible.

Comment

Well, Winslet still got nominated for Best Actress, just not for the movie most people expected. They considered her a Lead in Reader, and the Oscars dont allow a person to be nominated in the same category twice in one year, so it wasnt possible.
                            Wow, I really want to see The Reader now because I am wondering where all of this hype came from...

Comment

• Oh I know, I just would have liked to have seen TDK get nominated for something other than Supporting Actor. I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't get Best Picture or Best Director because of the "comic book label."

Which is why I was hoping for Screenplay. It wasn't it's more deserving one, but I thought it had the best chance to pick that one up over the others.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                              Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• I just watched The Reader, and I have to say that with some of the negativity I had heard going in, I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought the movie was very, very good.

Its a damn shame I wasnt able to see it before I did the Commies. Not sure itd have won anything major, but it would have been nominated.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information