No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched metropolis for the first time today, that movie is freakin' bizarre.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
      There have been plenty of awesome Book-Movie adaptions...lots of them get a bad rap, because of movies like LOTR and Harry Potter which left so much of the source material out of the movies (usually due to length), but even if you look at a film like Fight Club, the movie is far superior to the book IMO. Or look at TV. The Dexter TV series in infinately better then the books, but thats mostly due to Jeff Lindsay being a poor writer. To assume that all books are better then their movie counterparts simply isnt true.
      LoTR was great.

I haven't been able to get into the books, and I'm an avid reader. That was a while ago though, maybe I would like them more now.
      Virginia Tech.
      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        There have been plenty of awesome Book-Movie adaptions...lots of them get a bad rap, because of movies like LOTR and Harry Potter which left so much of the source material out of the movies (usually due to length), but even if you look at a film like Fight Club, the movie is far superior to the book IMO. Or look at TV. The Dexter TV series in infinately better then the books, but thats mostly due to Jeff Lindsay being a poor writer. To assume that all books are better then their movie counterparts simply isnt true.
        I actually like the Fight Club book better than the movie, but the movie is ******* awesome. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is another one that comes to mind. I'm not trying to say they're all bad or anything, just that the books are usually better to me. I remember liking the Jurassic Park book better than the movie as well.

I'm trying to think of movies based of a book that I liked better and the only one that I can think of is The Shining. Jack Nicholson is just too damn good in that movie.
        Last edited by nrk; 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Greatest movie based on a book: Congo.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            Greatest movie based on a book: Congo.
            When Amy "signs" is hilarious.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Greatest movie based on a book: Congo.
              Until Where The Wild Things Are comes out

Comment

Greatest movie based on a book: The Running Man
                Fixed for awesome.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                  Until Where The Wild Things Are comes out
                  I hope you don't think I am serious. Congo was so awful it was hilarious, Where The Wild Things Are actually looks cool.

Comment

• I loved Congo as a kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by nrk View Post
                      I actually like the Fight Club book better than the movie, but the movie is ******* awesome. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is another one that comes to mind. I'm not trying to say they're all bad or anything, just that the books are usually better to me. I remember liking the Jurassic Park book better than the movie as well.

I'm trying to think of movies based of a book that I liked better and the only one that I can think of is The Shining. Jack Nicholson is just too damn good in that movie.
                      As big of a Chuck P fan as I am, the movie is undoubtedly better IMO. Of course its subjective, but the movie had a much better flow, was far less choppy, and had an infinitely better ending. The ending scene of Fight Club is my favourite movie scene of all time. And while it may not have driven its anti-consumerist message home as hard as the book did, it was obviously effective in getting its message across. I felt that while the book spoke to a very specific group of people, the movie spoke to a generation.

I think because reading itself is a very selfish experience, and you get to see your own interpretation of something instead of someone else's interpretation, alot of people assume that the books will be better or more enjoyable, but they dont have the time or patience to read them when they can just watch a 2 hour movie. I dont know, I'm an avid reader and movie watcher, and I can honestly say that there have been plenty of adaptions that I prefer to the source material. Usually it has to do with acting TBH, because if an actor comes in and takes over a role or puts a new spin on it, that is so key.

And when I mentioned the LOTR movies, I wasnt saying bad. I personally prefer the movies to the book, maybe because I find Tolkien boring and overly descriptive and the movies were relatively fast paced and well made, but they are definately preferable to the long, drawn out, 30 page descriptions of the scenery Tolkien gives you in the books. I dont care what the ******* rock beside the tree looked like you fool! :D
                      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                      The APS is strong in this one.
                      Originally posted by killxswitch
                      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by comahan View Post
                        I loved Congo as a kid.
                        Me too. I had the worst nightmares about gorillas after watching it though

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                          Me too. I had the worst nightmares about gorillas after watching it though
                          I liked the movie as a kid but when I got older and read the book, I went back and watched the movie and was like, "yikes this is bad."

Comment

• Congo is the ****.
                            Originally posted by 49erNation85
                            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Has anyone seen My Best Friends Girl? Is it good? I have a thing for Kate Hudson(I know she has no chest) so I will probably enjoy it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                                Has anyone seen My Best Friends Girl? Is it good? I have a thing for Kate Hudson(I know she has no chest) so I will probably enjoy it.
                                it was pretty bad...jason biggs is the same character from american pie, dane cook is well, dane cook, Hudson looks good as always...I felt the only good things about the movie were Alec Baldwin, who is rather entertaining, and Lizzy Caplan, who I felt was more attractive then Hudson.
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information