Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
    I would advise trying to find the "dezionized" version of the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. They're still stupid, but they're much less intolerable (plus they're shorter, which helps).
    I once saw Pulp Fiction in chronological order. It was weird but still entertaining.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
      What? Humphrey Bogart > Brando. Hell, I'd even put Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant before Brando.
      Im curious to how many Bogart, Stewart, & Grant movies you've actually seen. So many people list all time 'great' actors & movies as bests simply because thats a general consensus among people of 'knowledge'. I see this ALL the time, its funny when you ask someone their favorite films of these people they just listed as amazing & they cant even name more than 2-3 of them. This is the internet so anyone can just imdb someone and start listing things off in a thread like this, but I think you get my point.

Anyways, I would take Gregory Peck over all of those previously mentioned actors. Admittedly I don't think Ive seen anything with Stewart, but I have seen entirely too many Bogart films.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        Is anyone on here actually a fan of the Matrix series? It just seemed to get worse and worse, imo. I could see why a lot of people didnt like the series as a whole...probably because, they didnt really understand what the hell was actually going on. I got it but, I still dont think the series as a whole was all that great and the ending for the 2nd and 3rd installments were terrible. geez. All and all they were just really corny and the writng became more cliched as the series went on. Should have stopped after the 1st or maybe even the 2nd, if you actually ended it there, which they could have if they wanted to.
        I loved the first one. The other two were horrible.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by The Peefs View Post
          Im curious to how many Bogart, Stewart, & Grant movies you've actually seen.
          I have this fascination with black & white movies and just older movies in general. It started about 4 years ago, when I watched that like AFI top 100 movies special that is on TV from time to time. I became interested in the movies that they had listed, so I just started watching them and then I really found an interest in watching old films. Thanks to a combination of the internet, tons of free time as a college student and Netflix, I was able to fuel that addiction. I don't expect you to believe me but that's how it is.

Anyway, I finally got around to watching this:

I came away totally impressed. It was a pretty legit horror movie and I can't wait for the sequel.

Comment

• I loved everything about There Will Be Blood. For about half of the movie I was leaning out of my seat towards the screen. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and that is not just me using the expression. I thought the performances were incredible all around (not just DDL). The score was one of the greatest I have ever heard and IMO rivaled even Ennio Morricone scores at his peak. I hear a lot that there was no story and everything was boring but I was fascinated by all of the character interactions and I was always left wanting to know what happens next. It is really hard for me to put into words how great I thought the film was. It is one of the very few movies I have put in my top 50 immediatly after seeing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
              I loved everything about There Will Be Blood. For about half of the movie I was leaning out of my seat towards the screen. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and that is not just me using the expression. I thought the performances were incredible all around (not just DDL). The score was one of the greatest I have ever heard and IMO rivaled even Ennio Morricone scores at his peak. I hear a lot that there was no story and everything was boring but I was fascinated by all of the character interactions and I was always left wanting to know what happens next. It is really hard for me to put into words how great I thought the film was. It is one of the very few movies I have put in my top 50 immediatly after seeing it.
              I think in the end There Will Be Blood will be appreciated MOST by the people who make and take part in film. The people who seem to love it the most are the ones who see what amazing things have been done in every facet of movie making.
              However, it is not a film to sit down and let it entertain you. It is a film that you must engage yourself in to fully and utterly enjoy. It is not a film in which will engage the viewer. This is where it fails in many aspects to the average viewer and why many average viewers would not appreciate it.
              I have had my parents and other friends who like movies but are not 'into' movies. They complain with a lack of story like you have mentioned. This is why the film is great if you want to be in it, but if you want to be entertain, it fails.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                I think in the end There Will Be Blood will be appreciated MOST by the people who make and take part in film. The people who seem to love it the most are the ones who see what amazing things have been done in every facet of movie making.
                However, it is not a film to sit down and let it entertain you. It is a film that you must engage yourself in to fully and utterly enjoy. It is not a film in which will engage the viewer. This is where it fails in many aspects to the average viewer and why many average viewers would not appreciate it.
                I have had my parents and other friends who like movies but are not 'into' movies. They complain with a lack of story like you have mentioned. This is why the film is great if you want to be in it, but if you want to be entertain, it fails.
                For sure. I have no doubt I appreciate the movie more because of the amount of movies I watch and the types of movies I watch. Also I think I can appreciate it greatly because I have made movies, ****** ones but still, and I know how ******* difficult it is to pull of the technical side of the film that brilliantly. I just really bought into the film and fell in lovef with the characters and the story and to this day I will put the movie in every know and again and either watch it while I am doing something else of just take the whole thing in fully again. I have met many people who do not like the film and while I still do not understand why it is not universally hailed as brilliant I can understand that Paul Blart Mall Cop made more money in the box office than There Will Be Blood.

Comment

For sure. I have no doubt I appreciate the movie more because of the amount of movies I watch and the types of movies I watch. Also I think I can appreciate it greatly because I have made movies, ****** ones but still, and I know how ******* difficult it is to pull of the technical side of the film that brilliantly. I just really bought into the film and fell in lovef with the characters and the story and to this day I will put the movie in every know and again and either watch it while I am doing something else of just take the whole thing in fully again. I have met many people who do not like the film and while I still do not understand why it is not universally hailed as brilliant I can understand that Paul Blart Mall Cop made more money in the box office than There Will Be Blood.
                  Yes I understand as well. There Will Be Blood is easily my favorite movie of the past 5 years even though I have no experience with movies. It really appeals to how a person watches a movie. Many people watch a movie that they can escape from, and that is absolutely necessary but TWBB is not that movie.

Comment

• A fact that eluded me the first time I watched TWBB is that Henry is played by Roy Boy from Canadian Bacon. Outstanding.
                    Anyway, I agree that it was a fantastic movie. One of the best in recent memory.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                      Yes I understand as well. There Will Be Blood is easily my favorite movie of the past 5 years even though I have no experience with movies. It really appeals to how a person watches a movie. Many people watch a movie that they can escape from, and that is absolutely necessary but TWBB is not that movie.
                      I agree it is not for everyone. I just love hating on the movie going public just because it seems I can pick the shittiest movie that is being released every week and most of the time it will become the highest grosser.

Comment

I agree it is not for everyone. I just love hating on the movie going public just because it seems I can pick the shittiest movie that is being released every week and most of the time it will become the highest grosser.
                        Wild Hogs man, Did you see that crow hit that guy!?

Comment

A lot of people like to go to the theatre and see movies that don't require them cerebral cortex. Most people who enjoy seeing movies that most of us would find terrible, we'll go with something like Date Movie, are the vast majority of the theatre attending public. Plus, if people are convinced through ads (as most Americans are) that something is entertaining and that other people are going to see it, and inevitably talk about it, they'll participate to so they are not left out.

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                          Wild Hogs man, Did you see that crow hit that guy!?
                          It had all those guys that I remember being hilarious so it has to be funny, right!? Oh man, I love jokes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                            I have this fascination with black & white movies and just older movies in general. It started about 4 years ago, when I watched that like AFI top 100 movies special that is on TV from time to time. I became interested in the movies that they had listed, so I just started watching them and then I really found an interest in watching old films. Thanks to a combination of the internet, tons of free time as a college student and Netflix, I was able to fuel that addiction. I don't expect you to believe me but that's how it is.
                            You would have absolutely loved my film class. I think we only saw one maybe two films that werent black & white. Some I wasnt a big fan of, some were quite amazing. I ended up falling in love with 'The Beach' because of that class, great movie.

Comment

• The Beach? As in Danny Boyle's the Beach or some black/white film by the same name?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                                The Beach? As in Danny Boyle's the Beach or some black/white film by the same name?
                                I am pretty sure he is referring to Danny Boyle's The Beach.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information