No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just rented The Reader, Trans-Siberian, & The Wrestler.

I liked the reader a lot more than I thought I would, like Schindler's List it's another Fiennes brother in a 2nd World War Holocaust-themed movie filmed in Germany. It's 100% performance-driven & I was riveted to Kate Winslet's performance, her best ever, no wonder she was Oscar-nominated! There are great cameos too. Here's a non-Spoiler Alert warning though: it's profoundly depressing. Big dollops of postwar German guilt, but what did you expect? It's the Holocaust after all -- everywhere outside of the Hollywood Dream Factory everybody is sick of it, but the Holocaust stillis big box office in Hollywood. I give it ****.

The Wrestler was also performance-driven & a Dyathink? career comeback vehicle for Mickey Rourke. For me, Rourke either hits a home run (Falling Angel, Sin City) or stinks on ice (Yr. of the Dragon) in his films, & this one is almost a homer, I'll say a triple with RBIs. ;) I'd say he's back with a vengeance. And those of you guys who aren't blind or gay will really enjoy stripper role Marisa Tomei nekkid -- she's worth the admission/rental price alone. Semi-spoiler alert ---> The ending is maudlin melodramatic. And too predictable, that's why I give it *** & 1/2*.

Trans-Siberian might have gone straight to video, it has Woody Harrelson in a surprise performance as a naive churchgoing teacher from Iowa who is targeted by predatory drug smugglers ... yeah, I know, I thought b/c he's Woody Freaking Harrelson he would play the drug smuggler too, but no. Ben Kingsley is great as a corrupt Russian cop. Great cinematography emphasizing the seediness & antiquated p/o the former Soveit Union on the longest RR ride in the world. I give it **.

Comment

• I can get $2 dollar matinee here in Louisiana and it used to be a dollar and yes, they do show everything new.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
        IMO, two of the best movie scenes ever. Definitely two of my favorite. DeNiro is freaking amazing.

I almost want to sit through an hour long wedding reception just to get to that scene. Excellent choices. I'm not sure that's the best scene in Raging Bull, though. My personal favorite is the wall beating scene and I also have to mention the, "You **** my wife?" scene. Then there's the "Hit me in the face" scene. The steak scene as well. Ah, **** it, the whole movie is great.
        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
        Originally posted by GoRavens
        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• I watched Notorious, and as a fan if B.I.G. and hearing all the great reviews it got, I found it was a bit formulaic and rather dull. The whole west coast/east coast thing just came out of nowhere and there was no build up at all. I didn't learn anything knew about him. It didn't move me to any kind of reaction. The way he treated Lil Kim was the only thing, other than the music of course, that I thought they hit out of the park. It was a good lead performance, surprisingly, and the kid who played Puffy was very good as well. The ending was cheesy as they tried to paint him as a saint just before he dies and make us feel bad for a guy that was pretty ****** up and not really likable. It wasn't great, wasn't bad. Fairly mediocre. I was a little disappointed.

6/10

One movie I've been putting off since it came out that I just watched was Talk to Me. A truly incredible film. One of the five best of 2007. A powerhouse performance from Cheadle that should have been Oscar nominated, and an incredible performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor, the two best black actors in the business if you ask me, and both give their career best works. I can't praise this enough. It's just so crisp and so concise that it never takes a false step or hits a wrong note. It also has one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen following the the MLK assassination. I think this is as good as movies gets. A masterpiece. Some great lines and very funny moments. Tarji P. Hanson was also great and absolutely banging. One of my favorite female actresses. Great movie that made me laugh, choked me up and put a smile on my face.

10/10

2007 was such a great year. I'd put Talk to Me in my top 3:

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
          2. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
          3. Talk to Me (Kasi Lemmons)
          4. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen)
          5. Lars and the Real Girl (Craig Gillespie)
          Last edited by BigBanger; 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM.
          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
          Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
          I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
          Originally posted by bearsfan_51
          iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
          Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
          I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
          Originally posted by GoRavens
          Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• You buy food at the theater? You're there for 2 hours! haha

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I can't wait to go see Star Trek tonight. Even more awesome is having a bar next to where you're watching the movie. The prices are not so awesome however.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

• Ive seen Blindness and Gran Torino and in the last few days.

I liked both, none of them were really incredibly impressive. Both were pretty nice ideas and good movies, but nothing to ride home about and nothing ud remember more than a couple of months

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Ork Wang View Post
                  but nothing to ride home about
                  For the record, it's "nothing to write home about."

Comment

Ive seen Blindness and Gran Torino and in the last few days.

I liked both, none of them were really incredibly impressive. Both were pretty nice ideas and good movies, but nothing to ride home about and nothing ud remember more than a couple of months
                    I just saw Gran Torino at the cheap movies on Wednesday.

First time I've seen a movie in theaters multiple times since Space Jam.
                    This isn't to say it's my favorite movie, just that I was bored on $1.50 day. But it is pretty damn awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      For the record, it's "nothing to write home about."
                      ah that actually makes sense lol

yea Gran Torino was fun, but i dont think it was something really special, felt like everything was pretty expected.

Comment

• I actually tried pretty hard to forget Gran Torino after I watched it.

Comment

ah that actually makes sense lol
                          Were you trying to use an American phrase without knowing what it was?

Aww, that's so endearing. haha

Comment

Were you trying to use an American phrase without knowing what it was?

Aww, that's so endearing. haha
                            well it just sounds so familiar, i just never thought about its meaning lol

Comment

well it just sounds so familiar, i just never thought about its meaning lol
                              Haha.

Any one know of any recent movies worth seeing that maybe went under the radar? I need something to watch.

Comment

Haha.

Any one know of any recent movies worth seeing that maybe went under the radar? I need something to watch.
                                Spiral...Spiral...SPIRAL!
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information