Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
    Kevin Spacey? Great performance yes, but to think of it as one of the best acting performances you've ever seen? No titty farcking way.

Best Performance of the decade goes to...

This is not debatable.

DDL' two performances should be in the discussion, but, ultimately, he takes a back seat to Ledger.

A really underrated performance of a guy mentioned as an underrated actor would be Jake Gyllenhaal in Jarhead. One of the best war movies ever made, and probably the most accurate war movie ever made. I usually hate Gyllenhaal in just about everything he does (Kind of like Mark Ruffalo, but semi-talented), but he was amazing in Jarhead. I don't think I would call it top 10 of the decade or anything like that, but a lack of a nomination doesn't sit well me... if I cared enough to think about it.

And I'm adding this performance in just about anything regarding "best performances":

Bale (Bateman) made Norman Bates look like a fruit cake.

I also loved Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash in Walk The Line and Matt Damon in The Departed. Just two personal favorites that are a little underrated. I'd also add Sean Penn in The Assassination of Richard Nixon, which is the closest thing to De Niro in Taxi Driver. It might be better, actually.

There's so many great performances, and it's hard to say what's better than what, but Ledger was pretty much as good as it possibly gets. I'd put Mark Wahlberg's portrayal of Dirk Diggler/Eddie in Boogie Nights right along next to Ledger along with De Niro in Raging Bull and Al Pacino in Scarface and The Godfather as a Top 5 list. The aforementioned Christian Bale probably squeezes out one of the Pacino performances for top 5.
    Ive no trouble saying that Kevin Spacey in American Beauty is one of, if not the best acting performance I have ever seen. I think hes absolutely spectacular, and if I were to name the top 3 actors of this generation off the top of my head, he would probably be #1 or #2. Edward Norton would most certainly make my top 5 because of his incredible range, and PSH and DDL and probably Depp or Crowe would round out the top 5.

I like how you say the best performance of the decade is not debatable. Of course its debatable. There are plenty of reasons one can argue Kevin Spacey in American Beauty is just as good as Ledger in TDK. As for the other performances you listed, they are good, but none are legendary for me. There are oh so many more that I prefer. If we are talking all time performances, Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront probably takes the cake for me. Matt Damon in The Departed? I liked Leo better. Sure, Bale was great as Bateman, but he wasnt incredible. Its all subjective, and for you to say it isnt is just foolish.
    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
    The APS is strong in this one.
    Originally posted by killxswitch
    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• I was going to say...Leo in the Departed > Damon in the Departed.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

• This is showing in a special engagement tomorrow with a QA with Siegel, may attend:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314164/

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
          I was going to say...Leo in the Departed > Damon in the Departed.
          Definately...I've been meaning to watch that movie again, but I need to set aside like 3 hours. Such an awesome movie.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
          Originally posted by BaLLiN72
          i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
          Originally posted by Job
          NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

I was going to say...Leo in the Departed > Damon in the Departed.
            Markie Mark was better than both of them IMO.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe **** yourself.
            - Markie

Comment

• Seriously, Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin's characters should have a sitcom together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hollywood View Post

- Markie
                He steals the movie out from under the them in like 5 scenes. Great movie though.

Comment

• God dammit. I just watched Fight Club again. Now any other movie I watch for a while will just be **** by comparison. Such a ******* sick movie. Might be my number 1 all time. Forrest Gump is up there with it though.

Comment

• I just watched Hostel 2...so lame.

As for the Departed some more. Wahlberg was good...I think he was given a little too much praise for that role but, that's just me. I still loved him in that role, I love Marky Mark. I think Leo and Jack were the best in the Departed though, especially, Leo. The whole cast was outstanding.
                    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 06-19-2009, 04:21 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Yo Its About That Time
                      To Bring Forth The Rhythm And The Rhyme
                      Ima Get Mine So Get Yours
                      I Wanna See Sweat Coming Out Your Pours
                      On The House Tip Is How Im Swingin This
                      Simply Hip Hop Boy We Aint Singing This
                      Bringin It To An Entire Nation
                      Black White Red Brown Feel The Vibration

Comment

• Originally posted by Hollywood View Post

- Markie
                        **** yourself.

I'm tired from ******* your wife.

How's your mother?

She's tired from ******* my father.
                        or

My theory on feds is they're like mushrooms, feed 'em **** and keep 'em in the dark.
                        Since we're throwing quotes out there who can guess which movie I was watching last night...

Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention.
                        I've been trying to figure something in my head, and maybe you can help me out, yeah? When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Maybe you're just sitting around, reading "Guns and Ammo", masturbating in your own feces, do you just stop and go, "Wow! It is amazing how ******* crazy I really am!"? Yeah. Do you guys do that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vox Populi View Post
                          God dammit. I just watched Fight Club again. Now any other movie I watch for a while will just be **** by comparison. Such a ******* sick movie. Might be my number 1 all time. Forrest Gump is up there with it though.
                          "And chicken feathers up your ass doesn't make you a chicken either."

Fight Club is about 30 mins. too long & the revelation ending way too predictable (most guessed the Norton imaginary friend/alter ego identity about an hr. into it) but it's still a 4-star movie b/c of those scorching performances. Even Helena Bonham Carter was great in it, you wouldn't think she could be that hot as a junkie, but she was.

Those who condemn Brad Pitt's acting should watch his role as Tyler Durden here juxtaposed with the uncharacteristically bad (very bad) Wolfgang Petersen epic film Troy, Pitt can act, when we wants to anyway. Yeah I know he has a clause written into his film contracts that he has to go shirtless & flex his triceps on cue to, but wth....

Maybe both Fight Club & Forrest Gump were such box office gold mines b/c both their respective scripts were spot on close to their books, which were superlative fiction works in their own rights, dialog & one-liners were lifted directly into the films from their pgs. They were both intellectually stimulating without becoming boring & both tapped into universal iconic themes. btw a gump is an old Deep South expression for a r*t*rded (or to be pc about it, mentally challenged) person, & I of course loved the Alabama setting & Crimson Tide refs. Winston Groom wrote a perfect picaresque novel, with all the picaresque traits, recurring characters over the yrs, journey motif, etc.
                          Last edited by LizardState; 06-19-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• you really guessed the ending. huh. id have to say i was completely shocked when i found out that it was his imagination.

Comment

I just watched Hostel 2...so lame.

As for the Departed some more. Wahlberg was good...I think he was given a little too much praise for that role but, that's just me. I still loved him in that role, I love Marky Mark. I think Leo and Jack were the best in the Departed though, especially, Leo. The whole cast was outstanding.
                              Some of the boston accents in that movie were just terrible though, especially Martin Sheehan...."micwropwrocessessahhhs"

Damon's and Markie mark's were really good though, although it should be expected as they are both from Boston.
                              Last edited by Bigburt63; 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM.
                              Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                "And chicken feathers up your ass doesn't make you a chicken either."

Fight Club is about 30 mins. too long & the revelation ending way too predictable (most guessed the Norton imaginary friend/alter ego identity about an hr. into it) but it's still a 4-star movie b/c of those scorching performances. Even Helena Bonham Carter was great in it, you wouldn't think she could be that hot as a junkie, but she was.

Those who condemn Brad Pitt's acting should watch his role as Tyler Durden here juxtaposed with the uncharacteristically bad (very bad) Wolfgang Petersen epic film Troy, Pitt can act, when we wants to anyway. Yeah I know he has a clause written into his film contracts that he has to go shirtless & flex his triceps on cue to, but wth....

Maybe both Fight Club & Forrest Gump were such box office gold mines b/c both their respective scripts were spot on close to their books, which were superlative fiction works in their own rights, dialog & one-liners were lifted directly into the films from their pgs. They were both intellectually stimulating without becoming boring & both tapped into universal iconic themes. btw a gump is an old Deep South expression for a r*t*rded (or to be pc about it, mentally challenged) person, & I of course loved the Alabama setting & Crimson Tide refs. Winston Groom wrote a perfect picaresque novel, with all the picaresque traits, recurring characters over the yrs, journey motif, etc.
                                Umm Fight Club wasnt a box office gold mine. It actually did terrible at the box office, because the studio used a ****** advertising campaign that made it look like a boring street fighting movie. It made very little money at the box office, but as far as I know, its one of the best selling DVDs.

And yes, Pitt can act. I wouldnt even say the roles you mentioned as his best, and Fight Club is my all time favorite movie. Hes excellent in Interview with the Vampire and Snatch as well, and very good in Benjamin Button.

As for the ending being predictable...meh. Im not really going to argue, because like I said, its my favorite movie ever by a long shot, Ive watched it countless times...I think the very first time you watch it, the ending is not visible, but most people have seen it more then once and go "oh, I so knew the ending"' when really, they did not...Just my thoughts.
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                                The APS is strong in this one.
                                Originally posted by killxswitch
                                Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information