Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movie Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some of you may like this. It's a shot LOTR movie. The Hune for Gollum.



    Originally posted by UKfan View Post
    Plus... Megan Fox!!!!!
    is severely overrated.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LizardState View Post
      lmao at the phonetics, kudos to burt, every time I see The Departed it disappoints me more. OK script from the Lehane book, yes Damon was good & sounded dead right for Bahhhhst-an. Sheehan did a better new England accent as the Pres. from New Hapmshuh in the West Wing, but he can dick up accents not native to him like no other.... hear him as Robt. E. Lee in The Killer Angels trying to do a Virginia aristocrat accent, uggh. As Southerner I have no patience for actors destroying Southern accents on screen. See Mystic River for better NE accents. Best thing about The Departed was Nicholson as a charismatic despotic gangster & homicidal maniac, almost a Shakespearean character. It wasnt as bleakly depressing as it should it have been from the subject matter, the many betrayals between caharacters are predictable, you knew it would end with everybody offing everybody else & a scene full of dead people.
      Okay, firstly, Lehan didn't write the original source material. You might be thinking of Mystic River? Possibly Gone Baby Gone? Or maybe somehow confused it with the not yet released, but future Scorsese classic, Shutter Island. It was pretty much a remake of the Hong Kong trilogy, Infernal Affairs. Secondly, the script is a ******* a masterpiece.

      You didn't know how it was going to end, so just stop. Were people going to die? That would be a reasonable assumption given the title, but to end in the fashion that it did... No.

      As far as it not being bleak... how many people involved in this actually lived? How many saw "justice" through the legal process? The movie ends with a symbol that tries to show how far corruption exists (rat against the State House) and from an earlier reference of Nicholson's character drawing a picture of rats completely overtaking the State House. One could see the message showing how you're always going to have good and bad against each other, and you're going to have bad masking their identities with the good (Damon-- who's just as bad as the lead gangster constantly killing people), so the good are fighting amongst themselves to weed out the bad that infects that good. While the good is fighting the bad on the streets they're also in an internal war with themselves and battling corruption. Then you also have the main objective of the good constantly battling the evil on the streets making the constant war never ending and seemingly unwinable (for lack of a better word), especially when good and bad is nearly indistinguishable (Damon bad, Leo good, but their actions are the exact opposite). The bad don't have to play by the rules where the good does. Dignam (Wahlberg) knew Damon was a dirty little **** and he couldn't prove it, so he had to step outside his own bounds and play the game like criminals, making him... now bad? Dignam's character is a microcosm of the frustration a cop can feel... He knows for a fact that Damon is a dirty little rat, but by law he doesn't have enough evidence to prove it in court so he can't make an arrest, and as the bodies pile up around Damon, Dignam gets to the breaking point and acts just like a criminal and disregards the law, which he is supposed to uphold and protect.

      I don't know how bleak you wanted it, but there surely isn't much positive or hope expressed in the film. It's as good a movie as you're going to see.
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
      Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
      I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
      Originally posted by bearsfan_51
      iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
      Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
      I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
      Originally posted by GoRavens
      Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
        Ive no trouble saying that Kevin Spacey in American Beauty is one of, if not the best acting performance I have ever seen. I think hes absolutely spectacular, and if I were to name the top 3 actors of this generation off the top of my head, he would probably be #1 or #2. Edward Norton would most certainly make my top 5 because of his incredible range, and PSH and DDL and probably Depp or Crowe would round out the top 5.

        I like how you say the best performance of the decade is not debatable. Of course its debatable. There are plenty of reasons one can argue Kevin Spacey in American Beauty is just as good as Ledger in TDK. As for the other performances you listed, they are good, but none are legendary for me. There are oh so many more that I prefer. If we are talking all time performances, Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront probably takes the cake for me. Matt Damon in The Departed? I liked Leo better. Sure, Bale was great as Bateman, but he wasnt incredible. Its all subjective, and for you to say it isnt is just foolish.
        Edward Norton is vastly overrated. I liked him a lot before it was this popular, but he's done little of anything to call great in this decade, especially over the last five years. He's good, but not great. Not top 5.

        Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront? That's because you read ****. His best performance is The Godfather. On the Waterfront is horribly outdated. You want to call it the best of the 50s and I wont even put up a debate, but that movie is so soapy and overly melodramatic, even for the 50s, that it's not even funny.


        Leo as a tough guy was probably the only flaw in The Departed. I bet Ledger would have been a lot more convincing as Billy Constigan. I see that as one of the Leo' weaker performances, and I think he was out shined by Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg.

        I'll take quite a few people over Ed Norton right now. Sean Penn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Heath Ledger (Since he did more in 2007 and 2008 than Norton has done in his entire career), Chiwetel Ejiofor, Don Cheadle, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Viggo Mortensen, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce (Incredibly underrated), Sam Rockwell, Benicio Del Toro, Alec Baldwin, Matt Dillon, Mark Wahlberg, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr... maybe a few more... I don't know, but that's just off the top of my head.
        Last edited by BigBanger; 06-20-2009, 01:38 PM.
        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
        Originally posted by GoRavens
        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

        Comment


        • I agree that Norton has gotten pretty overrated at this point. Made one of my all time favorite movies and his best movie in Fight Club, but that was ten years ago and he hasn't made a memorable movie since. Maybe 25th Hour, but one good movie in ten years? Come on.

          Comment


          • On the Waterfront is not terribly outdated, but I don't think Brando's performance in that movie is the best or his best. I think he was better in A Streetcar Named Desire personally.

            The best performance ever though is DeNiro in Raging Bull.


            RIP TheManInBlack

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
              I'll take quite a few people over Ed Norton right now. Sean Penn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Heath Ledger (Since he did more in 2007 and 2008 than Norton has done in his entire career), Chiwetel Ejiofor, Don Cheadle, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Viggo Mortensen, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce (Incredibly underrated), Sam Rockwell, Benicio Del Toro, Alec Baldwin, Matt Dillon, Mark Wahlberg, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr... maybe a few more... I don't know, but that's just off the top of my head.
              Eww, that's the only one I will plain out disagree with. I can't stand him. Oh and Matt Dillon ahead of Edward Norton is pretty funny also.

              Sig by Hitman D.

              Comment


              • I'm seeing Year One tonight. wish me enjoyment.

                by BoneKrusher
                <DG> how metal unseen
                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                  On the Waterfront is not terribly outdated, but I don't think Brando's performance in that movie is the best or his best. I think he was better in A Streetcar Named Desire personally.

                  The best performance ever though is DeNiro in Raging Bull.
                  I'm partial to Gregory Peck in 'Mockingbird myself. Brando's best performance I think was in the Godfather.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                    I'm partial to Gregory Peck in 'Mockingbird myself. Brando's best performance I think was in the Godfather.
                    Uhhhhhhh

                    Comment


                    • Speaking of Marlon Brando I think I'm going to watch Apocalypse Now

                      Comment




                      • Excellent.


                        worker bees can leave
                        even drones can fly away
                        the queen is their slave

                        themaninblack
                        15

                        Comment


                        • Marky Mark's role was good, but certainly not the best. In reality, just a bunch of cursing. I wouldn't have changed a bit of his dialogue, but based purely on the content of his lines, I don't see how you can say he was the best. I'd have to give it to Leo in this one, but overall, outstanding acting.


                          Sig by Matthew Jones

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                            Speaking of Marlon Brando I think I'm going to watch Apocalypse Now




                            2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                              Edward Norton is vastly overrated. I liked him a lot before it was this popular, but he's done little of anything to call great in this decade, especially over the last five years. He's good, but not great. Not top 5.

                              Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront? That's because you read ****. His best performance is The Godfather. On the Waterfront is horribly outdated. You want to call it the best of the 50s and I wont even put up a debate, but that movie is so soapy and overly melodramatic, even for the 50s, that it's not even funny.


                              Leo as a tough guy was probably the only flaw in The Departed. I bet Ledger would have been a lot more convincing as Billy Constigan. I see that as one of the Leo' weaker performances, and I think he was out shined by Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg.

                              I'll take quite a few people over Ed Norton right now. Sean Penn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Heath Ledger (Since he did more in 2007 and 2008 than Norton has done in his entire career), Chiwetel Ejiofor, Don Cheadle, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Viggo Mortensen, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce (Incredibly underrated), Sam Rockwell, Benicio Del Toro, Alec Baldwin, Matt Dillon, Mark Wahlberg, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Robert Downey Jr... maybe a few more... I don't know, but that's just off the top of my head.
                              First off, Ed Norton is the most diverse actor of his generation. Look at the variety in the roles he has played. He can be anyone. To go from Smoochy the Rhino to Derek Vinyard is so ******* impressive. Hes an amazing actor, and better then most of the actors you named...I dont find him overrated at all.

                              I would suggest that before you call into question whether Ive seen a movie, you let me weigh in on it first. On The Waterfront is a fantastic film, in just about every way. I love Brando in that, and for you to call it soapy and melodramatic just further proves that you cannot appreciate a classic (see previous posts on Terminator, T2).

                              Leo was the only flaw in the Departed? Everyone but you seems to think he was the best thing about it.

                              And to take Matt Dillon and Guy Pearce over Ed Norton is ridiculous. Neither of them have ever done anything to even be mentioned in the same breath as Norton. I love Memento as much as the next guy, but it certainly wasnt a knockout from Pearce. And Matt Dillon? Really?
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

                              Comment


                              • Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Heath Ledger > All.

                                Sorry APS.

                                :D

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information