Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer Thread

Liverpool has been bought by Tom Hicks(owner of the Texas Rangers) and George Gillett

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...407155&cc=5901

Yay?

Comment

Originally posted by GB12
      Yay?
      very big news this means 2 the major english soccer clubs have been bought by americans in the past 2 years

Comment

Meh, it's just a growing trend now in the premiership these days, it just enhances the gulf between the good clubs (the clubs with rich owners who can buy players and therefore sucess) and the rest of the pack, who are just fighting for the scraps.

This is **** for English football, the national team, the lower leagues, the fans, it's ********.

In a time where the Premiership is awarded £2.9 billion in TV rights, the ticket prices for us fans continue to rise.

Pure bollocks. This will be the end of the game in England, where only the rich can afford to watch a team they have no interest in. English football is losing everything English about it.

Not happy indeed.

Comment

This says soccer thread, so here goes:

Where is Henry headed? Milan? RMad? Barca?

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

As a Liverpool fan i can't make up my mind about this takeover. On the one hand it should help us to challenge the top 2 closer, but I'm worried about the general state of the game as Jango is.

I'm also worried about the tradition and heritage of my club. I think even fans of rivals would agree that Liverpool has a fantastic atmosphere and history that is virtually unrivalled.

I hear the new stadium may have it's naming rights sold, and that is one thing that really has depressed me. Anfield will always be the real name of our stadium and it should stay that way, if they even dare to take away the name "The Kop" from our stands, there will be an absolute uproar.

Worrying times indeed. What do you guys know of these new owners, they are saying a lot of the right things, but doesn't everyone at these types of press conferences.

We'll have to see how this develops I feel. :?

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

So emo... I guess they don't teach supply and demand in england?

Comment

We should have started a high school soccer thread :x

Comment

I can't comment on the impact to English soccer, seeing i don't live there/experience it. But in terms of america, it should only help strengthen the sport. Eventually, i think America has the capacity to accept soccer like the rest of the world has, but in order for that to happen, we must have more impact in the interational scheme specifically. Americans need to realize how big soccer is, and seeing Americans go overseas to by teams i think should say a lot, however we need some media coverage on it.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Comment

im glad someone talked about this, the guy who bought it or at least half Tom Hicks owns the Rangers and Stars here in DFW. And let me be the first to tell you ever Ranger and Stars fan pretty much hates the guy.

former #1 in post count on this site
                    first to 500 posts

Comment

I'd rather see an American owner start a premiership club in America...that's my own personal dream.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888
                        I'd rather see an American owner start a premiership club in America...that's my own personal dream.
                        they would get no support but if you look at the bottom teams in the tables they get barly 17,000 to their games.

first to 500 posts

Comment

Originally posted by TCU
                          they would get no support but if you look at the bottom teams in the tables they get barly 17,000 to their games.
                          I think they'd get plenty of support...have you seen the turn out for Man Utd's US tours? There are enough soccer fans in the US that if you brought top quality teams (not just big name players), people would go.

Comment

Originally posted by TCU
                            I think they'd get plenty of support...have you seen the turn out for Man Utd's US tours? There are enough soccer fans in the US that if you brought top quality teams (not just big name players), people would go.
                            yeah people always go to these one time deals but would they show up each week?

first to 500 posts

Comment

Originally posted by TCU
                              Originally posted by TCU
                              yeah people always go to these one time deals but would they show up each week?
                              If they had their own team to root for with good competition, yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information