No announcement yet.

Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Madrid vs. Barcelona is officially underway!

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• And Real Madrid falls short yet again. Florentino Perez should make wise investments now, if he wants to keep his job.

Wasting $250 million euros is nothing short of ridiculous, and if it doesn't pay off...

Given the amount of rumors going around, basically everything is possible. I read somewhere that this is what Florentino Perez is going to aim for by the end of next year.

That's one heck of a squad. He's already said he's got another huge pot of cash set aside for the sole purpose of acquiring players, so it's possible. He's also willing to trade players, virtually anyone not on that roster. Hard to see ManU giving up half their starting defense and their star forward, but when Madrid wants someone, they usually get him.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
        And Real Madrid falls short yet again. Florentino Perez should make wise investments now, if he wants to keep his job.

Wasting $250 million euros is nothing short of ridiculous, and if it doesn't pay off...

Given the amount of rumors going around, basically everything is possible. I read somewhere that this is what Florentino Perez is going to aim for by the end of next year.

That's one heck of a squad. He's already said he's got another huge pot of cash set aside for the sole purpose of acquiring players, so it's possible. He's also willing to trade players, virtually anyone not on that roster. Hard to see ManU giving up half their starting defense and their star forward, but when Madrid wants someone, they usually get him.
        I can't wait for the City of Madrid to go broke and for Real to have to actually pay for their massive spending sprees. I don't mind when a team uses money that they actually earn to dominate like the Yankees, but when you're going out and spending hundreds of millions of dollars only to turn around and ask your city to cover your debts, I have no respect for that. Plus I hate seeing the Bundesliga lose elite talent even if I'm not a Bayern fan.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
        Originally posted by JBCX
        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• no way in hell will that squad happen. Real Madrid is very stupid, I hate how the just bring players but don't have a real system for him.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
          02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
          02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
          02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
          Originally posted by fenikz
          we all hate you

Comment

Ive also heard rumours that Barca want both Vidic and Rooney plus they want Fabregas too.

Could you imagine and midfield and forwards like

-------------------Fabregas-----Xavi-----Iniesta----------------------

------Messi------------------Ibrahimovic---------------Rooney--------

Then you have the young kids like Pedro, Maxwell and Bojan coming through. For me this is the reason that Barca are the better side now. While Real are spending big money on quality players they dont have a steady youth influx coming in. They said during last night's match that Barcelona had 7 starting players last night who came through their youth academy. That's incredible for any team. It's like the Man U team of the late 90's that should have won so many more Champions Leagues with Scholes, Giggs, the two Nevilles, Beckham etc
            Last edited by AntoinCD; 04-11-2010, 05:39 AM.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

And Real Madrid falls short yet again. Florentino Perez should make wise investments now, if he wants to keep his job.

that's is one heck of a squad. Unfortunately it's completely unrealistic and I honestly fail to see how Madrid will be able to secure the funds to purchase all those players. Not to mention the fact that Man U and Liverpool will most likely demand king's ransoms for not just their star players but the icons of their teams. Franck Ribery will also require a gargantuan sum of money, and I do want to mention that unlike most top teams Bayern has no incentive to sell him since they don't actually NEED the money, it's one of the financially healthiest clubs in the world.
              Not to mention that you're just throwing names out there without considering that C. Ronaldo isn't at his best as a striker but as an attacking winger, putting gerard on the right flank would be a complete waste of his talents.

Worst of all, there is no way Real can support this team. Plus you keep out of the equasion that they do have some talent out there, and that this once again will be another bunch of diva superstars shoved into a white jersey and thrown onto the field. This idea, the foundations of it, is the reason Madrid hasn't been living up to promises and won't as long as it's the guiding principle.

I'll give you the obvious example: FC Barcelona. Big club, annual champions league favourite and right now on route to yet another championship. Not to mention just beat them in Madrid. Both are internationally renowned clubs, wealthy, spanish and are or at least have been immensely succesful. The difference in how they're ran is massive though. Whilst Madrid goes out every year and buys their star power, Barcelona grows it. Messi, Victor Valdez, Sergio Busquets, Sergio García, Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Píque and Bojan Krkic they all come from La Masia, Barça's youth programme. Heck, even their coach Guardiola's from there. Some players who are Barça trained are now stars elsewhere: Mikel Arteta and Cesk Fabregas are all products of the Barça youth programme.

See, if Madrid was to stop buying players and just invests 100 million into their youth facilities, they'd be able to do the same, Barcelona has actual teams, Madrid just has collections of players who only win prizes in video games. This 'team' you propose will just be the next inarnation of a star-studded non-collective that will fail to meet expectations.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

• http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

• it's an article that's pretty selective in it's choice of examples don't you think? Marco van Basten, Johan Cruijff, Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Beckenbauer... all of them had nothing special done with or to their hair. It's an article saying "look at dees guise dey have funky hair!".

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

• Originally posted by Addict View Post
                    it's an article that's pretty selective in it's choice of examples don't you think? Marco van Basten, Johan Cruijff, Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Beckenbauer... all of them had nothing special done with or to their hair. It's an article saying "look at dees guise dey have funky hair!".
                    Of course it is, but it's a nice nostalgic little look back at some of the great hair the World Cup has brought to the world.

BK

Comment

• Originally posted by Addict View Post
                      that's is one heck of a squad. Unfortunately it's completely unrealistic and I honestly fail to see how Madrid will be able to secure the funds to purchase all those players. Not to mention the fact that Man U and Liverpool will most likely demand king's ransoms for not just their star players but the icons of their teams. Franck Ribery will also require a gargantuan sum of money, and I do want to mention that unlike most top teams Bayern has no incentive to sell him since they don't actually NEED the money, it's one of the financially healthiest clubs in the world.
                      Not to mention that you're just throwing names out there without considering that C. Ronaldo isn't at his best as a striker but as an attacking winger, putting gerard on the right flank would be a complete waste of his talents.

Worst of all, there is no way Real can support this team. Plus you keep out of the equasion that they do have some talent out there, and that this once again will be another bunch of diva superstars shoved into a white jersey and thrown onto the field. This idea, the foundations of it, is the reason Madrid hasn't been living up to promises and won't as long as it's the guiding principle.

I'll give you the obvious example: FC Barcelona. Big club, annual champions league favourite and right now on route to yet another championship. Not to mention just beat them in Madrid. Both are internationally renowned clubs, wealthy, spanish and are or at least have been immensely succesful. The difference in how they're ran is massive though. Whilst Madrid goes out every year and buys their star power, Barcelona grows it. Messi, Victor Valdez, Sergio Busquets, Sergio García, Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, Píque and Bojan Krkic they all come from La Masia, Barça's youth programme. Heck, even their coach Guardiola's from there. Some players who are Barça trained are now stars elsewhere: Mikel Arteta and Cesk Fabregas are all products of the Barça youth programme.

See, if Madrid was to stop buying players and just invests 100 million into their youth facilities, they'd be able to do the same, Barcelona has actual teams, Madrid just has collections of players who only win prizes in video games. This 'team' you propose will just be the next inarnation of a star-studded non-collective that will fail to meet expectations.
                      1. Ribery already stated that he won't be around after his contract expires (june 2001 iirc) and if that's not incentive I don't know what incentive is (and I study economics!). Der Kaiser (Franz Beckenbauer - just for all you americans :) ) said a while back that he thinks Riberys value is at least that of Káká and Cristiano Ronaldo. I don't think so, but even so I could very well see them getting $500 mill. for Ribery, but the longer it takes to sell him the less they're going to get for him. And they know that, so I expect Ribery to be gone no later than right after France gets knocked out of the World Cup (they should never have been in it, but that's another matter).

2. The second bolded section reminds me of a quote from some years back from Scott Pioli which has been used about the Jets lately: It's not about collecting talent, it's about building a team. Real Madrid has failed miserably in that area ever since they bought Zinedine Zidane. Yes, they won when they had him, but it was never a team efford. And that gets old very, very fast and other teams plan accordingly.

As for Barca developing their own talent, one can't be anything but very impressed by what they've done. I was actually thinking about it when I was watching the Real-Barca match the other day. They start a lot of their own guys. Very impressive, much like Ajax Amsterdam in the 90s.

EDIT:
                      Originally posted by Zycho32 View Post
                      I have a question;

How tall can a soccer player get before said height begins to decrease his effectiveness? I mean in all facets of his game and not just footspeed? Could a tall player actually function as a goalkeeper if properly trained?
                      Jan Koller was at least 6'6" and Peter Schmeichel was just shy of 6'5" iirc. Imo, height is only a problem if you don't have a good understanding of the tactics and the game in general. Koller was pretty much a one trick pony, and yet he was very effective because of his great soccer IQ.
                      Last edited by Razor; 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                      I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• If Madrid bought up all of those players I would instantly find another "team" to support. It truly disgust me how Perez can throw around all that money like it is nothing and just expect the team to win every trophy possible. I was excited about the summer signings but was not a fan of selling Sneijder, Robben, Klaas & Negredo.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
                        2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
                        2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

• Originally posted by Razor View Post
                          1. Ribery already stated that he won't be around after his contract expires (june 2001 iirc) and if that's not incentive I don't know what incentive is (and I study economics!). Der Kaiser (Franz Beckenbauer - just for all you americans :) ) said a while back that he thinks Riberys value is at least that of Káká and Cristiano Ronaldo. I don't think so, but even so I could very well see them getting $500 mill. for Ribery, but the longer it takes to sell him the less they're going to get for him. And they know that, so I expect Ribery to be gone no later than right after France gets knocked out of the World Cup (they should never have been in it, but that's another matter).
                          If I've ever learned anything about sport it's that money changes anyone's mind. An "I'll be out of here after my contract expires" from whenever, not '01 because he's only been in Munich since '07. Is hardly proof that he truly intends to leave. The incentive for many teams to sell star players is because they need money. This was also true for Milan and Man U when they sold Kaka and C. Ronaldo. The money was simply too good not to do it, not to mention both clubs have debts they need to pay.

By incentive I ment that Bayern is very healthy, as is most of the German Bundesliga. They don't need transfer money, thus they have no direct incentive to see themselves without one of their biggest, if not their biggest, star. Now I'm not taking the 500 million comment serious if you don't mind, by virtue of it being a completely insane, made-up number. Also keep in mind that Ribery has a lot in common with the winger they just ditched, Arjen Robben. Don't assume Real is so giddy to buy another winger in that mold.

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                          2. The second bolded section reminds me of a quote from some years back from Scott Pioli which has been used about the Jets lately: It's not about collecting talent, it's about building a team. Real Madrid has failed miserably in that area ever since they bought Zinedine Zidane. Yes, they won when they had him, but it was never a team efford. And that gets old very, very fast and other teams plan accordingly.

As for Barca developing their own talent, one can't be anything but very impressed by what they've done. I was actually thinking about it when I was watching the Real-Barca match the other day. They start a lot of their own guys. Very impressive, much like Ajax Amsterdam in the 90s.
                          It's a lot like Ajax was in those days. And that Ajax won everything possible.

Jan Koller was at least 6'6" and Peter Schmeichel was just shy of 6'5" iirc. Imo, height is only a problem if you don't have a good understanding of the tactics and the game in general. Koller was pretty much a one trick pony, and yet he was very effective because of his great soccer IQ.
                          Jan Koller was effetive because he was a lot bigger than anyone trying to cover him and he had a knack for being in the 5 yard box. The man was slow, lumbering but he was a great heading talent and that's what made him so successful. I don't think soccer IQ had much to do with it. Koller was as good as the guy feeding him passes was, essentially. Schmeigel was a goalkeeper, for those guys being tall is a huge advantage. They're also typically thinner than most players and train specifically to remain agile. He's not an example to use when exampling talented tall players.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

• Real will want Ribery even though he is similar to (and possibly worse than) Robben because public opinion has Ribery ranked as one of the best players in the world and all Madrid seems to want is the team filled with the biggest names. They should just buy Navas for 1/3 of the price and reap the benefits.
                            When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Haha, no - don't take the $500 mill. seriously. It was supposed to say $100 mill., idk what happened. I know Ribery has a lot of similarities with Robben, but that doesn't matter in Madrid. All that matter is starpower and Ribery has plenty. Also, he's a better player imo. Before his injuries Robben looked like the next big thing. But injuries ruined it for him. He's still good, but not as good as he could've been.

The reason I brought up Schmeichel is, that a lot of tall goalkeepers don't reach their potential because they're vulnerable to shot near the ground. Schmeichel wasn't despite his size so that's why I brought him up. You don't see a lot of 6'4" - 6'5" goalkeepers succeeding.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                              I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Razor View Post
                                Haha, no - don't take the $500 mill. seriously. It was supposed to say $100 mill., idk what happened. I know Ribery has a lot of similarities with Robben, but that doesn't matter in Madrid. All that matter is starpower and Ribery has plenty. Also, he's a better player imo. Before his injuries Robben looked like the next big thing. But injuries ruined it for him. He's still good, but not as good as he could've been.
                                Actually the 500 million part was just a joke. Now Ribery might want to leave, and Madrid might want him, but Ribery's seen what it can do to big french stars, Benzema is nowhere now after being one of the brightest stars in French soccer. Well anyway, yeah I suppose if htey offered C. Ronaldo type money Bayern will shrug and take it.

Also don't sleep on Robben, the guy can flat-out play, even if he's made of glass. As a dutch football supporter I just hope he lasts through the World Championships.... but I don't think he will, probably get injured three games in as always.

The reason I brought up Schmeichel is, that a lot of tall goalkeepers don't reach their potential because they're vulnerable to shot near the ground. Schmeichel wasn't despite his size so that's why I brought him up. You don't see a lot of 6'4" - 6'5" goalkeepers succeeding.
                                Many fine goalkeepers (Van Der Sar, Dida, Almunia) are over 6'4" it's more exceptional for non-goalies.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information