Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marino13 View Post
    I love Holden as a player, and he has improved so much since the Gold Cup, but I don't think he starts. Unless Dempsey moves to striker like he does sometimes for Fulham, he, Donovan, and Michael Bradley are locks to start. That leaves Holden fighting with Edu and Clark, and on a level playing field, Edu is the best of the 3.
    I agree Edu is better but I think it's very possible we see Dempsey up front with Jozy. We'll get a much better read after tonight's match.
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
      Gah, I hate Bradley so much. His coaching ability is there, but he is horrible at dealing with personel and selecting teams.

And please don't make me choose between Casey and Ching. I'd rather down a bottle of sleeping pills.
      thus I'm hoping that Bradley goes with a combo of Buddle,Gomez, Johnson, and Findley. This is of course, if we don't move Dempsey up top. But from the sounds of things, Buddle is all but a lock due to chemistry with Donovan.

One thing I will say, only things about the provisional roster aside from Davies (which you can argue he wouldn't be ready or not) are Bornstein, Ching, and Beasley. Bornstein makes mistakes, but he's a huge reason we are where we are, Beasley played well in our last friendly, and Ching... well no defending that.

We're just really weak up top, and a big reason for that is Davies being hurt otherwise I don't have a problem with the guys Bradley picked. He can't do much worse than Arena did in 06

Comment

• Man I was at a crazy soccer game here in Eastern Europe the other day. The whole stadium was on fire. We were really just fighting the whole game. I have no idea who won.

Man I love soccer.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
        Originally posted by fenikz
        we all hate you

Comment

• Gooch, Edu, and Holden all starting, the rest are guys fighting for spots

Comment

• Stuart Holden should never do the stanky leg again

Comment

• final score looks to be 4-2 Czechs. Here's what I learned

1.Gooch isn't 100% but he's not in horrible shape. The goal he got beat in the air it looked like he didn't know there was a guy behind him.

2.We need Gooch, DeMerritt, and Bocanegra healthy (and Marshall too for that matter). Pearce and Bornstein looked awful. Bornstein made a lot of mistakes, and Pearce's mistakes led to 2 goals.

3.Goodson and Cherundolo looked good on the backline so we have some depth on the back, not all is bad.

4.Maurice Edu looked good at mid, but he should not play center defense during the WC.

5.Stuart Holden is really making a case he should start.

6.IMO Hercules Gomez has earned his spot on the team.

7.Guzan may not be the number 2 goalie. All 4 goals came from breakdowns, but he plays on his heels too much.

Not putting too much into the game since Howard, Dempsey, Donovan, Bocanegra, Bradley, Altidore, Clark, DeMerritt, and Spector didn't play.

If I'm Bradley, I find it very hard to cut Gomez, Goodson, Rogers, and Beasley right now.

This game was basically get Gooch and Holden time, and evaluate who fills out the roster. Saturday is the first big game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marino13 View Post
                final score looks to be 4-2 Czechs. Here's what I learned

1.Gooch isn't 100% but he's not in horrible shape. The goal he got beat in the air it looked like he didn't know there was a guy behind him.

2.We need Gooch, DeMerritt, and Bocanegra healthy (and Marshall too for that matter). Pearce and Bornstein looked awful. Bornstein made a lot of mistakes, and Pearce's mistakes led to 2 goals.

3.Goodson and Cherundolo looked good on the backline so we have some depth on the back, not all is bad.

4.Maurice Edu looked good at mid, but he should not play center defense during the WC.

5.Stuart Holden is really making a case he should start.

6.IMO Hercules Gomez has earned his spot on the team.

7.Guzan may not be the number 2 goalie. All 4 goals came from breakdowns, but he plays on his heels too much.

Not putting too much into the game since Howard, Dempsey, Donovan, Bocanegra, Bradley, Altidore, Clark, DeMerritt, and Spector didn't play.

If I'm Bradley, I find it very hard to cut Gomez, Goodson, Rogers, and Beasley right now.

This game was basically get Gooch and Holden time, and evaluate who fills out the roster. Saturday is the first big game.
                I thought that Gomez played pretty poorly. He had a few chances today with poor finishes. The big one that comes to mind is the beautiful back heel by Ching and he drills it right at the keeper. That as well as the 2 on 2 where he forced the action, which is fine, but he didn't beat his man or made it easy for another run to be made.

Ching still sucks, Kljestan was terrible, and I thought Goodson helped his stock the most. Beasley played okay tonight, but I have been down that road before and am okay with him being left off.
                Last edited by dabears10; 05-25-2010, 10:27 PM.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Gentlemen,

I'm late and new to the soccer stuff, but I gotta tell you one thing and ask you one thing.

First, when we scored that phenomenal double-header off the corner to knot it up at 2, I actually got chills. Real goosebumps that I showed my little kid.
                  I have never ever gotten chills from anything in sports other than the Packers, and I really can't remember getting them there even.....

Second, who is our guy #21?
                  I may be wrong, but judging from two goals I saw us allow last night, this guy better not be on our team in South Africa.
                  Again, I hope he's not really one of our good guys and your favs, but based on my amateur observations last night, he's a weak link for sure.

He let the pass go right by him, which led to a goal. My family was all over for a BBQ and my mom and Grandma were like me, couldn't understand why he didn't reach out and stop the pass.

Who is this guy, #21?
                  I hope it was a guy fighting for the roster spot and not a guy who will be there for us in the Cup.

By the way, LIS I am new to the party here, so don't shoot me down if that's your guy. Just help me learn this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                    Gentlemen,

I'm late and new to the soccer stuff, but I gotta tell you one thing and ask you one thing.

First, when we scored that phenomenal double-header off the corner to knot it up at 2, I actually got chills. Real goosebumps that I showed my little kid.
                    I have never ever gotten chills from anything in sports other than the Packers, and I really can't remember getting them there even.....

Second, who is our guy #21?
                    I may be wrong, but judging from two goals I saw us allow last night, this guy better not be on our team in South Africa.
                    Again, I hope he's not really one of our good guys and your favs, but based on my amateur observations last night, he's a weak link for sure.

He let the pass go right by him, which led to a goal. My family was all over for a BBQ and my mom and Grandma were like me, couldn't understand why he didn't reach out and stop the pass.

Who is this guy, #21?
                    I hope it was a guy fighting for the roster spot and not a guy who will be there for us in the Cup.

By the way, LIS I am new to the party here, so don't shoot me down if that's your guy. Just help me learn this team.
                    #21 was Goodson I believe. He was also the player who made the first header on the 2nd goal. He will likely play small minutes in the World Cup. Our Defenders are likely Bocanegra(C)-Onyewu-DeMerit- Spector.
                    Last edited by dabears10; 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgot about Spector

Comment

• World Cup 23 Man Roster-
                      http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#axzz0p3dw6TH9

My Hope-
                      Howard
                      Bocanegra - Onyewu - DeMerit - Spector
                      Donovan - Bradley - Feilhaber - Holden
                      Dempsey - Altidore

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                        World Cup 23 Man Roster-
                        http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#axzz0p3dw6TH9

My Hope-
                        Howard
                        Bocanegra - Onyewu - DeMerit - Spector
                        Donovan - Bradley - Feilhaber - Holden
                        Dempsey - Altidore
                        I'm with this..

Comment

• If Bornstein starts I'm going to puke. He's ******* awful. How many times did he get smoked last night? The fact that he's even on this roster is ridiculous. The only reason he's being considered is because he's left footed. ****, put Beasley or Spector at LB. They'd be a lot better than that piece of crap.

Btw, I <3 Holden and Edu. Both had very strong games last night.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• Mexico getting ready to play the Netherlands. Memo Ochoa is gonna start this game, so we'll have our best goalie again. I'm hoping Guille Franco isn't too hurt and will get to play. We need him.

Comment

• yay! Demarcus made it, he's one of my favorites
                              We ALL bleed scarlet
                              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Man, we're getting raped by the Netherlands. Ochoa is playing great, but the defense is getting shredded up. And as i speak, they score behind the defense. FML.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information