Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
    Man, we're getting raped by the Netherlands. Ochoa is playing great, but the defense is getting shredded up. And as i speak, they score behind the defense. FML.
    ive got a question for you...do you think Vela or Gio Dos Santos will start for Mexico in the WC? Also what role will Guardado play? Is he more of an attacking midfielder or more of a winger...any insight to Mexico's style will be much appreciated!

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by Lions WMD
    None of you will be alive to see who gets picked at #3 if the Lions don't pick Suh at #2. I'll blow up the whole world.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
      Man, we're getting raped by the Netherlands. Ochoa is playing great, but the defense is getting shredded up. And as i speak, they score behind the defense. FML.
      1-5 in the last two games combined. Not good. :S

We need to put Gio in there, just to create some offense and bring in speed.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• I cannot express how happy I am that both Torres and Holden made the team. I love both of them and really thought Bradley would screw it up and take older vets who suck, like Ching.

I still don't understand taking 3 keepers. Sure, after Howard both our backups lack experience and Guzan played pretty bad yesterday, but just because you don't have 1 legit backup doesn't mean you should take 2 inexperienced ones. I just don't get it at all.

Also, I'd love to see Edu and Feilhaber starting in the middle. I loathe little Bradley, even though he has improved. I still fully expect him to be ***** made in the game vs. England and get at least a yellow for a stupid foul, if not more.

Comment

• Originally posted by billsfootball15 View Post
          ive got a question for you...do you think Vela or Gio Dos Santos will start for Mexico in the WC? Also what role will Guardado play? Is he more of an attacking midfielder or more of a winger...any insight to Mexico's style will be much appreciated!
          We have a surplus of wingers. Gio will definitely start. The team has just a whole different dynamic to it when he's in there. So will Guardado. When those two are on the squad, they're starting, and they're both attacking wings. Vela most likely won't because Guille Franco will be our striker.

We have a lot of guys that can move the ball at a fast pace, but sadly we don't have anyone (outside of Franco) that can finish on a consistent basis. Gio is amazing, and the offense he can create is a huge asset. Same for Vela, but he needs to get a little more seasoned cause he has some lapses where he has scoring opportunities and he doesn't show the killer instinct.

They'll make some noise in this WC, but honestly our best chance at winning one will be in 2014 when both the Dos Santos brothers, Vela, Guardado, Hernandez and Vela are more mature.

Comment

I think both Vela and Dos Santos will start. Gio is instant offense and is very fast, and he's got good chemistry with Vela. Vela had a bad game vs. England, but he did some things right. Plus, we've got very few other true forwards/strikers, having Franco, Chicharito, and Vela.

Guardado will most likely play winger, attacking, making plays.

As for Mexico's style, if Gio and Guardado start, Mexico will have a very vertical attack. Franco will play on top, hustling, not really doing all that much, with the wingers making most of the offensive plays. They'll play much more close to the sidelines than through the middle of the field.

If Blanco is in the game, the team really slows down and they play more through the middle.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Chicharito!!!!!

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Man we're just a whole different team with Gio in there. I <3 him

Comment

• So what are everyone's expectations of germany without Ballack? I'm obviously a homer who thinks we can still win the WC with a lineup featuring Schweini, Merte and Lahm as our oldest players because of just how loaded with young talent we are. Any what are your thoughts.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                  JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                  Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                  Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                  Originally posted by JBCX
                  Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                    So what are everyone's expectations of germany without Ballack? I'm obviously a homer who thinks we can still win the WC with a lineup featuring Schweini, Merte and Lahm as our oldest players because of just how loaded with young talent we are. Any what are your thoughts.
                    You're forgetting the fact that Mexico is still in your way ; )

But I actually do like Germany, even without Ballack. They can still win tough games. Still have Spain as the favorite to win it all, but they've got some injuries too, so who knows.
                    Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                      You're forgetting the fact that Mexico is still in your way ;)

But I actually do like Germany, even without Ballack. They can still win tough games. Still have Spain as the favorite to win it all, but they've got some injuries too, so who knows.
                      Ozil, Marin and Mueller > Gio, Vela and Guardado :p

I just don't know, we're so young and if those young guys get overwhelmed with the stage we're screwed. I love our young talent because we're loaded with centerbacks and attacking players, but the question boils down to whether they are ready to step up.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

I just don't know, we're so young and if those young guys get overwhelmed with the stage we're screwed. I love our young talent because we're loaded with centerbacks and attacking players, but the question boils down to whether they are ready to step up.
                        i am a huge German fan just as you are! I still think we can make it very far...i love the depth we have on the backline and Podolski and Klose are always dangerous when they put on the German jersey. The big question for me that will determine how far we make it is the midfield. Schweini is by far my favorite player today and he will have to play the holding midfield role he had with Bayern this year. It sounds like Loew wants to play Kheidra, the 23 year old Stuttgart player, with him in the center. Its an interesting choice but it makes sence...Then it also looks like Marin and Ozil will be the two outside mids, and they can be very dangerous as they both have some serious speed and can strech the game down the sidelines. As you were talking about with the youth, youve got Schweini but then 3 players under the age of 23 and all with less than 10 caps next to him. If those three (Ozil, Marin, Kheidra) mature and are able to connect the backline with Klose and Podolski, then we can be a very dangerous team and can make it very far. Im still not sure if we can beat Spain/Brazil, but I certainly like our chances against England/Argentina if our midfielders mature and meat expectations.

My starting XI:

----------------Neuer-----------------
                        Lahm--Mertesacker--Friedrich--Boateng
                        Ozil-----Schweini-----Kheidra-----Marin
                        ---------Podolski-----Klose------------

Then key contributors off the bench would be: Jansen, Westermann, Trochowski, Kroos, Gomez

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by Lions WMD
                        None of you will be alive to see who gets picked at #3 if the Lions don't pick Suh at #2. I'll blow up the whole world.

Comment

I think they'll do well, there are veterans who can really help them. Plus, during the past World Cup you guys also had some young players and they played well (Lahm, Schweini, Podolski), so I expect the same this year.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

i am a huge German fan just as you are! I still think we can make it very far...i love the depth we have on the backline and Podolski and Klose are always dangerous when they put on the German jersey. The big question for me that will determine how far we make it is the midfield. Schweini is by far my favorite player today and he will have to play the holding midfield role he had with Bayern this year. It sounds like Loew wants to play Kheidra, the 23 year old Stuttgart player, with him in the center. Its an interesting choice but it makes sence...Then it also looks like Marin and Ozil will be the two outside mids, and they can be very dangerous as they both have some serious speed and can strech the game down the sidelines. As you were talking about with the youth, youve got Schweini but then 3 players under the age of 23 and all with less than 10 caps next to him. If those three (Ozil, Marin, Kheidra) mature and are able to connect the backline with Klose and Podolski, then we can be a very dangerous team and can make it very far. Im still not sure if we can beat Spain/Brazil, but I certainly like our chances against England/Argentina if our midfielders mature and meat expectations.

My starting XI:

----------------Neuer-----------------
                            Lahm--Mertesacker--Friedrich--Boateng
                            Ozil-----Schweini-----Kheidra-----Marin
                            ---------Podolski-----Klose------------

Then key contributors off the bench would be: Jansen, Westermann, Trochowski, Kroos, Gomez
                            God I hope we don't start Friedrich. Just let Boateng and Mertesacker start working together since they'll be playing together on the national team for years. Otherwise that's the lineup I expect, although I think Gomez or Keissling will be starting just because of how poor Poldi and Klose were this year. I hope Loew gets creative though and uses someone like Westerman as a true holding midfielder that lets the backs and schweini play more aggressively. And up front I would prefer if we went 1 striker with one guy playing off of him which is why my choice would be

Mertesacker-Boateng
                            Lahm-Westerman-Aogo/Jansen
                            Schweini
                            Ozil-Mueller-Marin
                            Keissling

BK

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                              I cannot express how happy I am that both Torres and Holden made the team. I love both of them and really thought Bradley would screw it up and take older vets who suck, like Ching.

I still don't understand taking 3 keepers. Sure, after Howard both our backups lack experience and Guzan played pretty bad yesterday, but just because you don't have 1 legit backup doesn't mean you should take 2 inexperienced ones. I just don't get it at all.

Also, I'd love to see Edu and Feilhaber starting in the middle. I loathe little Bradley, even though he has improved. I still fully expect him to be ***** made in the game vs. England and get at least a yellow for a stupid foul, if not more.
                              Little Bradley does get stupid fouls, but the team is better with him on the pitch. Though with Edu, Clark, and Holden healthy (as well as Bradley and Felheber improving), and Torres and Beasley, we have options at mid, and it allows us to use Dempsey up top.

Pleasantly surprised we took Findley. Not experienced, but he'd give our attack the threat of speed. Ching just doesn't score, and Johnson is too inconsistent internationally, might as well take the risk.

As for Bornstein, he IS bad, but with Marshall coming into camp with an injury, and Pearce playing so poorly, we had no other options. Doesn't worry me too much though. Yeah the D isn't healthy but Bocanegra can play left if needed, and we still got Spector and Cherundolo.

It's gonna be tough to keep Holden off the field though, he gives us another option other than Donovan on free kicks.

Comment

• Is Diego Maradona so bad of a coach that he can destroy his teams chances of winning the World Cup? I mean c'mon, the guy didn't include Cambiasso on his roster. He's insane.

sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information