No announcement yet.

Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, but Fifa won't let a host nation go down in the group phase. PLus they'll be better adjusted to the altitude.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
    Originally posted by JBCX
    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
      yeah, but Fifa won't let a host nation go down in the group phase.
      You bring up a valid point.

I'm hoping it's a the expense of Mexico.

Comment

• I'll be very very upset if we don't make it out of the group stage this year.
        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• i'm a big fan of robbie findley. put him down as one of my new favorites.
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
            i'm a big fan of robbie findley. put him down as one of my new favorites.
            Definitely. He hustles all the time and you can tell has the skill. He just needs to get his head together and some experience at the international level. There were times today he just looked lost and just tried to dribble as fast as he could with his head down.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
              Definitely. He hustles all the time and you can tell has the skill. He just needs to get his head together and some experience at the international level. There were times today he just looked lost and just tried to dribble as fast as he could with his head down.
              true, but you gotta just chalk that up to inexperience. it's a big jump from MLS defenders to national team. but his youth, energy and speed with some talent that is clearly there, and I think he could be a nice jolt for us. Now, I'd like to be able to keep him up top and perhaps start him with Jozy, but not sure he's there yet. I just think Donovan or Dempsey up top wouldn't be as effective.
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

true, but you gotta just chalk that up to inexperience. it's a big jump from MLS defenders to national team. but his youth, energy and speed with some talent that is clearly there, and I think he could be a nice jolt for us. Now, I'd like to be able to keep him up top and perhaps start him with Jozy, but not sure he's there yet. I just think Donovan or Dempsey up top wouldn't be as effective.
                Absolutely. I think his positives today far outweighed his negatives. He showed the skill, the hustle, and has great speed. It's just a matter of experience and getting used to the speed/style of international play.

I agree about Donovan and Dempsey. We need to paly them outside, and put someone like Findley or Buddle up top with Altidore just to run around and wreak havoc.

Comment

Absolutely. I think his positives today far outweighed his negatives. He showed the skill, the hustle, and has great speed. It's just a matter of experience and getting used to the speed/style of international play.

I agree about Donovan and Dempsey. We need to paly them outside, and put someone like Findley or Buddle up top with Altidore just to run around and wreak havoc.
                  yes yes yes. damn, that just hurts not having Davies. him and Jozy really looked good together as our future up top. Davies' speed was just awesome. Let's just see what happens. I'm excited, we've got some nice pieces, hopefully we gel nicely and Bradley doesn't **** everything up (the coach)
                  We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

yes yes yes. damn, that just hurts not having Davies. him and Jozy really looked good together as our future up top. Davies' speed was just awesome. Let's just see what happens. I'm excited, we've got some nice pieces, hopefully we gel nicely and Bradley doesn't **** everything up (the coach)
                    Yea, not only was Davies actually good, but him and Jozy really seemed to complement eachother well and were playing great together pre-accident. I don't think anyone we have will be able to form that relationship with Jozy in such a short time, but I think we can at least get a competent attack with the guys we have.

Thank god we didn't take Ching and pair him up top with Jozy. That would have been disastrous.

Comment

• ugh, yes. Ching was awful. At least we've got a young kid possibly in Findley with speed who could slot in for Davies. we'll see. it's tough. Dempsey and Donovan seem to work nicely together, so having them out wide could really be nice for us. i'm pumped for the world cup now. i'm gonna go play fifa haha
                      We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• What if we put Dempsey up top with Altidore and then had Torres or Holden with Donovan on the wings? Edu and Bradley in the middle.
                        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

ugh, yes. Ching was awful. At least we've got a young kid possibly in Findley with speed who could slot in for Davies. we'll see. it's tough. Dempsey and Donovan seem to work nicely together, so having them out wide could really be nice for us. i'm pumped for the world cup now. i'm gonna go play fifa haha
                          The only problem is that Donovan and Dempsey are our best playmakers. When the team is struggling or get down late, Bradley, and Arena before him, felt the need to force one up top/to the middle. Even in the WC after a game where they struggle offensively, we'd see the next game Dempsey or Donovan moved up top for no reason. We need a hustler/annoyingly fast guy up with Jozy, not a playmaker.

It also depends on the play in the middle. I love Torres's skill and he's always hustling. If I had my way, he'd be a starting CM. Depending on what way they want to go, they could pair him with Clark (defensive), Feilhaber (offensive), or Bradley (all around, albeit more offensive). If they can get solid CM play, I think it will show and allow Donovan and Dempsey to really exploit the outsides.

Comment

• I just don't see the US creating enough goals to get a result against England or Slovenia. I wouldn't even be shocked to see Algeria shut them down. I also worry about that backline and think they'll give up some bad goals.

I also think you guys should play with just one up top, a 4-2-3-1 seems like your best bet with Davies still not fully recovered.

Edit:
                            Jozy
                            Dempsey-Donovan
                            Torres
                            Edu-Bradley

I think that would be more effective than anyone you can find to pair with Jozy. Plus it lets Dempsey and Donovan move forward into more dangerous areas more freely and considering they're two of your biggest threats it would seem like that's what you'd want.
                            Last edited by Rosebud; 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                            JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                            Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                            Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                            Originally posted by JBCX
                            Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                              What if we put Dempsey up top with Altidore and then had Torres or Holden with Donovan on the wings? Edu and Bradley in the middle.
                              I wouldn't mind this to an extent. I don't like putting Dempsey up top because he's not real consistent there and I think he's better wide, but you can't argue against him being one of our top scoring threats.

Torres outside is interesting. Haven't really thought about that. Where does he play for his club team? And I love Edu, and think he would work well with Bradley so I wouldn't mind it.

Comment

I wouldn't mind this to an extent. I don't like putting Dempsey up top because he's not real consistent there and I think he's better wide, but you can't argue against him being one of our top scoring threats.

Torres outside is interesting. Haven't really thought about that. Where does he play for his club team? And I love Edu, and think he would work well with Bradley so I wouldn't mind it.
                                Honestly I'm not really sure where Torres plays for Pachuca. I also would rather not have Dempsey up top but I think the way I listed it might get the best players we have all on the field at the same time. I'm glad you're at least intrigued though haha.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information