Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
    Yeah, these two choices are laughable. Qatar? Really? Good luck getting tourists to go, hope they padded your pockets well enough.
    I could have seen them doing one of Russia or Qatar and taking one of USA or England, but both is extremely odd.

If one of these host countries falls on its face though, England or USA can swoop in as both could basically already host it this summer. Brazil apparently is already way behind their timeline, but so was South Africa at one point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      I could have seen them doing one of Russia or Qatar and taking one of USA or England, but both is extremely odd.

If one of these host countries falls on its face though, England or USA can swoop in as both could basically already host it this summer. Brazil apparently is already way behind their timeline, but so was South Africa at one point.
      It's Blatter's vision. He's brought the first World Cup to Africa, now the first to Eastern Europe and then the first to the Middle East. What does it do for his legacy to have a second one in the US or England?

Hes a prat

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
        It's Blatter's vision. He's brought the first World Cup to Africa, now the first to Eastern Europe and then the first to the Middle East. What does it do for his legacy to have a second one in the US or England?

Hes a prat
        He should have brought the first to Australlia then.

Comment

• I don't want to get political but with everything going on in the Middle East right now, I think choosing Qatar is and will be a huge mistake.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• So the two countries who were Blatter's favourite choices with the deepest pockets won, shock horror...

Gutted it isn't in any of the 3 places fairly close, not going to Russia, **** going to Qatar.

I'm sure Blatter and co's bank accounts will be looking quite healthy by the end of all this though.

Also, an interesting point raised by someone on the live text from an English newspaper (the only good one imo - The Guardian) online:

Homosexuality in Qatar

5.10pm:
            Tom Gilbert asks via email: "If Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, would a player who has come out and is openly *** - not an impossibility by 2022 - be allowed to play?"

Comment

• Well, I guess I'm the only here happy with the Russia selection.

As of right now, I would say they aren't ready, but I know they are already planning MAJOR expansions. I'm sure they'll throw obscene amount of money at it, just like they are for Sochi Olympics.

As of right now, just Moscow and St. Petersburgh are WC-ready.
              Last edited by MaxV; 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• I know its so far away, but if we qualify for 2022, here's to hoping Qatar is in our group. Haha.

Comment

• Damn, one of the cities in the US bid was going to be Dallas and that would have been ******* awesome.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• If any Middle East country would have been ready I've have thought it would be UAE. Dubai would have been a cool place to have a World Cup Championship game. Qatar is a joke.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• This I believe will be enjoyed by International DCers
                      http://www.studs-up.com/2010/12/a-logical-conclusion/

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        If any Middle East country would have been ready I've have thought it would be UAE. Dubai would have been a cool place to have a World Cup Championship game. Qatar is a joke.
                        Actually, UAE does sound pretty awesome for the WC.

Also, supposedly part of Qatar's presentation they guilt tripped the committee into thinking that allowing them to host would help end the violence in the Middle East. Oh, and since alcohol is almost 100% illegal, they also said they will change their laws to allow it, so at least there's that.

Comment

• Pathetic, that's all I have to say.
                          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            If any Middle East country would have been ready I've have thought it would be UAE. Dubai would have been a cool place to have a World Cup Championship game. Qatar is a joke.
                            Dubai is bankrupt. The bubble has burst there and Abu Dhabi had to bail them out to the tune of tens of billions. Foreign workers are leaving in their droves.

Qatar is brutally hot in the summer (110-120 degrees), has a population of 1.5 million and their team is awful, ranked 113th.

Comment

• I thought the 2018 bid was going to go to the joint Spain/Portugal bid to be honest for 2018. Blatter and Platini have long been known to dislike the English game due to the billionaire owners taking over teams and ruining the integrity of the sport, and combined with our media trying to uncover the bribery of other committee members we were never going to win, rightly or wrongly.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

• Are they gonna have AC in the stadiums? Cuz I see a lot of heatstroke happening for the players...Unless all the games are played at night which doesn't work for viewership at all, especially as FIFA schedules it so one match is played at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information