Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The media here is getting way ahead of themselves about the champions league. They talking about a all English final as if its a done deal. It really annoys me how biased they get.

    I agree with etk though, Chelsea over Roma in the finals, with them beating Liverpool and Bayern in the semis.
    Originally posted by nobodyinparticular
    #1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.

    Comment


    • United will beat Roma, no question about it. Totti and Mancini are there only decent players. Our defence is easily strong enough to deal with him and for an Italian team, they are poor at the back.

      I'm loving our draw though, avoiding the English teams and Bayern in the semis will be great.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by AdrianWilson12 View Post
        I often get stick for my support of Dowie, but as soon as we fired Adams, I was begging we appointed him. He did wonders at Oldham and you, especially to get you promoted when you were relegation candidates going into that season. I thought he would be good for Charlton, and I couldn't understand why he was sacked. He seems a good tactition and good with the media.

        What's happened with Watson? He was a good young player the year you were in the premiership, and I thought he would go onto better things.
        Yup, he worked wonders in terms of fitness and I liked how he was in the media, he's also an educated guy. His tactics when things are going badly however are abysmal. I still think you guys got a steal as he seems like the sort of guy who can admit to mistakes and improve himself.

        Watson has been injured most of the season, as with Soares. Apparently we've scored the fewest goals at home in the league, not surprising when you're doing it with a midfield of Butterfield, Lawrence (both mainly full backs) and Kennedy (who is just crap, but a winger playing in the middle) and either of the two strikers playing left wing from Scowcroft and Freedman. First choice would look more like Ifill Soares/Watson Fletcher McAnuff

        Soares and Watson are both back today though.
        What if everyone simultaneously disobeys?
        It aint a game if no one plays, oh.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by AdrianWilson12 View Post
          The media here is getting way ahead of themselves about the champions league. They talking about a all English final as if its a done deal. It really annoys me how biased they get.

          I agree with etk though, Chelsea over Roma in the finals, with them beating Liverpool and Bayern in the semis.
          Those are my full predictions but I didn't post all of them, because it's unlikely all of it will be right :(

          sig by BoneKrusher

          Comment


          • Anyone here can give a recap of the Man U game? I read the recap and I guess Rooney, Giggs & Ronaldo played well, pretty typical. How controversial was the penalty?

            sig by BoneKrusher

            Comment


            • Man U v Liverpool final I think and hope.

              Roma shouldn't upset Man Utd unless Man Utd fall to pieces. Individually and collectively Man Utd are better, Mancini is a threat but unfortunately I think Gary Neville can handle him, and Totti will get little change from the Man U central defenders.
              Bayern v AC could go either way, but the winner of that game will lose to Man U, I'll go Bayern. A tough tie to call with matchwinners either side, I think Roy Makaay will be the difference in this tie, and it will be a low scoring, quite dull affair.
              So in my opinion Man Utd SHOULD make the final

              Liverpool v PSV, I think it will be tighter than people think, PSV look improved over the group stages, where Liverpool won 2-0 and drew 0-0, I'll go 1 - 1 in Eindhoven, 1-0 at Anfield. I think the key area in this game will be the midfield, where I feel Liverpool have a definite edge over their Dutch counterparts.
              Chelsea v Valencia, I believe that Chelsea will go through, but if Terry doesn't play in both legs, it could be trouble, as Villa and Morientes could be deadly. Winner of that will be a tough semi for Liverpool but really exciting. Either another battle with Chelsea and a repeat of 2005, or a game against Valencia, a team whose current fortunes are intertwined with Liverpool's, with Rafa Benitez their ex-manager, Morientes ex-Liverpool and Villa a Liverpool target.

              If I were a betting man, I'd be going for Man U as potential winners, they certainly should be in the final anyway, over to you!

              Key Players for each team to progress:
              Man Utd: Ronaldo
              Roma: Totti
              Bayern: Lucio
              AC Milan: Kaka
              PSV: Alex
              Liverpool: Carragher
              Chelsea: Terry
              Valencia: David Villa

              Thoughts?

              XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

              Comment


              • Originally posted by etk View Post
                Anyone here can give a recap of the Man U game? I read the recap and I guess Rooney, Giggs & Ronaldo played well, pretty typical. How controversial was the penalty?
                Not very really, Rio Ferdinand flicked a ball on, with Boateng right behind him, Boateng instinctively put his hands up to protect his face and it hit his arms. It wasn't intentional but by the laws of the game, a definite pen.

                XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

                Comment


                • I thought your analysis was very good, but I don't think Lucio is the key player for Bayern. He has been very inconsistent this season and is a big reason for some of their Bundesliga struggles. Hasan Salihamdzic played exceptionally well in their win over Madrid, and I think he is an important factor in setting up Makaay and Podolski, although Podolski has been invisible almost all season. I wonder whether they will start Pizarro over him.

                  sig by BoneKrusher

                  Comment


                  • I haven't managed to catch a lot of Bundesliga, but I picked out Lucio as I think he will have a big part in holding Kaka, he should know his game pretty well with them being colleagues in the national team. Owen Hargreaves could be important as well in controlling Seedorf maybe, he was considered.

                    XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                      Man U v Liverpool final I think and hope.

                      Roma shouldn't upset Man Utd unless Man Utd fall to pieces. Individually and collectively Man Utd are better, Mancini is a threat but unfortunately I think Gary Neville can handle him, and Totti will get little change from the Man U central defenders.
                      Bayern v AC could go either way, but the winner of that game will lose to Man U, I'll go Bayern. A tough tie to call with matchwinners either side, I think Roy Makaay will be the difference in this tie, and it will be a low scoring, quite dull affair.
                      So in my opinion Man Utd SHOULD make the final

                      Liverpool v PSV, I think it will be tighter than people think, PSV look improved over the group stages, where Liverpool won 2-0 and drew 0-0, I'll go 1 - 1 in Eindhoven, 1-0 at Anfield. I think the key area in this game will be the midfield, where I feel Liverpool have a definite edge over their Dutch counterparts.
                      Chelsea v Valencia, I believe that Chelsea will go through, but if Terry doesn't play in both legs, it could be trouble, as Villa and Morientes could be deadly. Winner of that will be a tough semi for Liverpool but really exciting. Either another battle with Chelsea and a repeat of 2005, or a game against Valencia, a team whose current fortunes are intertwined with Liverpool's, with Rafa Benitez their ex-manager, Morientes ex-Liverpool and Villa a Liverpool target.

                      If I were a betting man, I'd be going for Man U as potential winners, they certainly should be in the final anyway, over to you!

                      Key Players for each team to progress:
                      Man Utd: Ronaldo
                      Roma: Totti
                      Bayern: Lucio
                      AC Milan: Kaka
                      PSV: Alex
                      Liverpool: Carragher
                      Chelsea: Terry
                      Valencia: David Villa

                      Thoughts?
                      People underrate Roma. Yes, the Italian league is weaker now, but Roma are only second to a amazing Inter Milan side. They certainly have the defenders to contain United and the only thing they really lack is a target man. They have good depth too. They have been so much better than Milan this year, and the only reason AC get respect is because of recent success.

                      BTW Mancini is strictly a right sided player normally, so it will be more of Evre's responsiblity.
                      Originally posted by nobodyinparticular
                      #1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.

                      Comment


                      • Who will replace Van Bommel after he got another yellow? Demichelis seems like the reasonable choice, but it could be Ottl, although he lacks experience to be able to play on this stage.

                        sig by BoneKrusher

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by AdrianWilson12 View Post
                          People underrate Roma. Yes, the Italian league is weaker now, but Roma are only second to a amazing Inter Milan side. They certainly have the defenders to contain United and the only thing they really lack is a target man. They have good depth too. They have been so much better than Milan this year, and the only reason AC get respect is because of recent success.

                          BTW Mancini is strictly a right sided player normally, so it will be more of Evre's responsiblity.
                          Of course, d'oh! Total brain melt there, and in that case he could get the better of Evra, hmmm, I still think Man Utd will go through mind you, too much quality in general, they move the ball excellently and attack with such pace Roma will struggle to keep them at bay for 180 minutes. My analysis on that game looks a bit crap now though haha.

                          Oh and I don't really respect AC, they are a bit of a spent force, I just don't rate Bayern too highly either lol.

                          XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                            Of course, d'oh! Total brain melt there, and in that case he could get the better of Evra, hmmm, I still think Man Utd will go through mind you, too much quality in general, they move the ball excellently and attack with such pace Roma will struggle to keep them at bay for 180 minutes. My analysis on that game looks a bit crap now though haha.

                            Oh and I don't really respect AC, they are a bit of a spent force, I just don't rate Bayern too highly either lol.
                            Exactly. It took AC Milan about 190 min to score a goal against Celtic, they obviously have their share of problems. Bayern has the same inconsistensies, so it should be an intriguing 2 legs, just like it was with Real Madrid.

                            sig by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • Im getting up early tommorow for some FA Cup action

                              Chelsea 2 -- Tottenham 1
                              Drogba 23'
                              Keane 54'
                              Drogba 71'

                              former #1 in post count on this site
                              first to 500 posts

                              Comment


                              • Wow I didn't expect Real-Barca to be so uptempo and exciting. 3 quick goals and it's 2-2 at half. Ruud has 2 and Messi has 2, and it could easily be a 4-4 game at least.

                                sig by BoneKrusher

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information