No announcement yet.

Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jurgen will have more control than any manager in USMNT history. In the past he requested control over the youth academies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marino13 View Post
      Jurgen will have more control than any manager in USMNT history. In the past he requested control over the youth academies.
      And I think that is awesome. The US system is a failure. I know that our best athletes are in other sports, but the system doesn't develop talent properly. We still have plenty of fantastic athletes that play soccer.

Ze Germans know how to do it. Hopefully Herr Klinsmann will start instilling some of that mentality in our lower ranks.

Comment

• Agreed. That fact that he will oversee the youth system makes me even more happy. Because sadly, big steps will never be made with the current group of players we have.

Comment

• I don't think we're ever going to win a World Cup anyway. I mean look at some of the great soccer nations that still haven't won including the Dutch, England, and so forth. It's always going to be an uphill climb but if we can just make the team a Top 10/15 in the world then most people would be happy I believe.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            I don't think we're ever going to win a World Cup anyway. I mean look at some of the great soccer nations that still haven't won including the Dutch, England, and so forth. It's always going to be an uphill climb but if we can just make the team a Top 10/15 in the world then most people would be happy I believe.
            Don't think any soccer fan who really knows their stuff would expect the US to win a WC any time soon. I agree with you..Top 10 finishes would keep me happy. Also if we can beat Mexico most the time I'll be happy too lol

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
            Originally posted by TitanHope
            R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
            He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

I don't think we're ever going to win a World Cup anyway. I mean look at some of the great soccer nations that still haven't won including the Dutch, England, and so forth. It's always going to be an uphill climb but if we can just make the team a Top 10/15 in the world then most people would be happy I believe.
              England won in 66, but thats besides the point. No rational US soccer fan is calling for a World Cup win due to this hire. I would be happy if we just became a consistent favorite to emerge from the group stages because anything can happen after that.
              When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

England has won, and the Dutch have come close enough to where it doesn't make much of an argument.

As for us, there's no reason we can't win it in the future(not like 2014, 2018 future). Soccer's obviously not our main sport, and probably never will be, but we have the most kids of any nation playing the game. Will a lot of the best athletes go to other sports? Sure. But that still leaves us with much more kids than small countries like the Netherlands, and the popularity of the sport is growing here. We've had our fair share of young prospects who looked promising only to get hit a wall in their development very early. If the youth system is changed to actually truly develop these kids, we could field increasingly competitive teams.

We have the potential, just haven't lived up to it.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S View Post
                  England won in 66, but thats besides the point. No rational US soccer fan is calling for a World Cup win due to this hire. I would be happy if we just became a consistent favorite to emerge from the group stages because anything can happen after that.
                  Yeah I realized that about a minute after I posted it with England but anyway I know nobody thinks we're going to win a Cup because of Jurgen but I don't seriously think we'll ever win one. Like I said a consistently good team that challenges and gets to the semi's one year would be awesome to me.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Yeah I realized that about a minute after I posted it with England but anyway I know nobody thinks we're going to win a Cup because of Jurgen but I don't seriously think we'll ever win one. Like I said a consistently good team that challenges and gets to the semi's one year would be awesome to me.
                    I think we'll win one eventually. Not in the near future but we'll win one I'm sure.

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
                    Originally posted by TitanHope
                    R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
                    He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.

Comment

I think it is just too strong of a statement to say never.....I could see saying next 20 years, but in 20 years time who know wtf is going to be happening in world football?

Comment

• I am so unbelievably happy right now.

I think if nothing else, Klinsmann is going to help the US develop a soccer identity. Right now, it's kind of just a mish-mash of different styles, thinking they will be able to bring in the best aspects of different styles and excel at them all.

For a while now I have wanted the US to develop a style similar to the Germans. If nothing else, the US should be able to produce players built for a physical style of play. But they get guys like Onyewu and even Jozy, who are big guys, and try to get them to play finesse games.

I think this hiring has me more excited than I ever am about US soccer, including during the WC.

Comment

• Also wanted to add something I just thought of as well.

Bringing in Klinsmann, while not a complete outsider to US soccer, does mean that he has no real personal connection to many of the current players. Hopefully he won't be afraid to change things up, bench guys, experiment with lineups, etc. That's one of the things I disliked about Bradley and Arenas, is that they were complacent to an extent with what they had.

Comment

• I really hope you get a capable Co-manager, cause when he was in germany, while he was the motivator, the guy with a vision, Lw was pulling most of the strings

Comment

• Eww quit talking about the USA national team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                                Eww quit talking about the USA national team.
                                Fine. Lets talk about how big of a douche/blowhard Harry Redknapp is.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information