Soccer Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
    Please tell me some of you are watching the US play on FSC. Especially you Americans who follow soccer.
    I don't get FSC =(

Comment

Please tell me some of you are watching the US play on FSC. Especially you Americans who follow soccer.
      Yeah, I watched it. Played better than thursday, but still just not a concerted effort. The US really needs to get more consistent.

But really, Michael Bradley should not play. I really like Helfieber, and Ricardo Clark played real well today. Mapp did real well and may get some looks down the line as a starter. Game was more exciting than the Guatemala game but lackluster.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
        Yeah, I watched it. Played better than thursday, but still just not a concerted effort. The US really needs to get more consistent.

But really, Michael Bradley should not play. I really like Helfieber, and Ricardo Clark played real well today. Mapp did real well and may get some looks down the line as a starter. Game was more exciting than the Guatemala game but lackluster.
        Haha who the hell is Helfieber? It's Feilhaber my friend. Michael Bradley is better than anyone else we have in that defensive midfield slot.

Clark did not impress me at all. At least Michael gives you some offensive ability, Clark is too one dimensional for my liking. Michael is also only 19 years old, and he has loads of potential. He and Benny are going to be a scary bunch for years to come in the middle.

It's also kind of hard to be consistent against such a terrible opponent because you play down to their level. I know because I've been there. It's hard to stay focused when you're beating the snot of a team. But we dominated for 80% of that game, and that was with our 2nd squad.

Also should be noted that Ching is not a regular starter, and if that was Dempsey with those chances, he would've easily had a hat trick. I do agree on Mapp though, I like him more than Beasley. When his game is on he can be the best player on the field. I thought Spector and Semik were both brilliant, did a nice job getting up into the attacking third from the fullback slots. Demerit played well too, very solid. Parkhurst and Ralston were horrid, ugh they were so frustrating.

The best news of the day though, Landon Donovan is back. The guy is just all over the place and he's aggressive again. That's a great sign for the US.

Here's my lineup (best available):

GK - Howard
        FB - Semik
        FB - Spector
        CB - Gooch
        CB - Demerit
        DM/CM - Bradley
        CM - Feilhaber
        LM - Mapp
        RM - Donovan
        ST - Deuce
        ST - Johnson (I think he'd work well with Deuce up top, since they're best friends)

That right there is a very promising lineup. Deuce and Eddie provide two guys who can go at defenders and be playmakers. Two attacking wingers who can get up and down the sidelines with pace and guys who are very dangerous 1 v 1 players. Donovan may be better suited inside but I like how he's been playing out there on the flank. Bradley and Feilhaber are rock solid in the middle. Benny is our playmaker and Bradley is a nice tackler in the DM slot, both are young studs. Gooch and Demerit make a nice combo in the middle, and I think Jay would help Gooch out a lot by playing next to him. Fullbacks are Semik and Spector. Two young guys with a lot of potential. Both like to get up into the attacking third as well which I like. And of course Howard who is just a great GK. Had a nice season in Everton and the guy can be flat out dominant when his game is on.

What do you notice about this squad? None of the guys are over 30. Howard is the oldest at 29 but guys like Landon, Mapp, Benny, Michael, Simek, Spector, Eddie, Deuce, and Gooch are in their mid 20's. They can grow together and IMO that would be our 2010 squad.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
        Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

• anyone else on here a Sevilla fan? They really blew their chance to win La Liga today. Playing RCD Mallocra they only manage to get a 0-0 draw. This was really their last chance with both Real Madrid and Barcalona ending with draws as a win would tie them for the lead. NOw they need a miracle.

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)

Comment

• Interesting hearing Ramon Calderon flapping his mouth again. He's talked about some clause to get Beckham out of leaving.
            What if everyone simultaneously disobeys?
            It aint a game if no one plays, oh.

Comment

• great crowd. great first half.

Comment

• great game for the US today, going up 2-0 and then great formation change by Bradley after the first ten minutes of the second half when el salvador was in control, because after that the US just simply owned.

former #1 in post count on this site
                first to 500 posts

Comment

GK - Howard
                  FB - Semik
                  FB - Spector
                  CB - Gooch
                  CB - Demerit
                  DM/CM - Bradley
                  CM - Feilhaber
                  LM - Mapp
                  RM - Donovan
                  ST - Deuce
                  ST - Johnson (I think he'd work well with Deuce up top, since they're best friends)
                  I like the lineup but frankly I'd definitely put Bocanegra over DeMerit in there. DeMerit is only a year younger than Bocanegra but Boca has 45+ Caps and his experience/leadership is key in games. Frankly, I think he was the only reason Gooch wasn't ejected in the first half of that game. That ref might as well had let Ruiz run around with a bat, because he wouldn't call him for crap. He knocks Gooch on his ass without even going for the ball and Gooch gets the Yellow card. Ruiz jacks Donovan off the ball, and he doesn't even get a warning. Gooch cuts across the guy (Though deserving a card), and he gets ejected. That ref might have possibly boned us majorly.

However, I wouldn't start Semik over Bornstein either.

Bornstein doesn't have as much as a attacking presence that Semik has, but He hasn't made a mistake yet, add that to the fact that he's locked down a side of the field.

My lineup

GK: Tim Howard

RWB: Frankie Hejduk
                  RCB: Oguchi Onyewu (He's gotta watch his temper, though that Guatamala game was bull ****)
                  LCB: Carlos Bocanegra
                  LWB: Jonathon Bornstein

RWM: Landon Donovan
                  RCM/CDM: Michael Bradley ; Pablo Mastoeni
                  LCM/CAM: Benny Feilhaber
                  LWM: DaMarcus Beasley ; Justin Mapp

LF: Clint Dempsey; Eddie Johnson
                  RF: Taylor Twellman

I'm impressed with this team this year, I think we could have a serious chance at the FIFA World Cup. I loved McBride/Reyna and company, but they didn't have the gas in the tank that these young guys do, and the crazy thing, is they're only getting better and better.

I am so glad Arena's is gone. He reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer. He has great talent, but wasted it away... that and he let an old team just wither, instead of getting young guys some serious time to help the future of the team as well.

The sad thing is seeing how well we did in South Korea, only to get Manhandled by a superior physical Germany team. I don't think that German team could push us around as easily anymore.
                  Last edited by Mr. Stiller; 06-13-2007, 01:17 AM.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Donovan's way more effective in center midfielder, or forward role. Putting him on the wing hinders his ability to create, and be a midfield maestro. As a striker, he has a very quick turn, and will beat you very quickly. Putting him on the wing just to create crosses is just a plain waist of talent. You can put any fast guy out there to do that.

Comment

• Some news from the market:

- Alberto Gilardino wants to play for Juventus. He said that he'd change his agent to play for them.
                      - Trezeguet wants out of Juventus. After scoring his 15th goal of the season he said "now please let me go".
                      - If Milan loose Gilardino they're gonna make the move for Eto'o. Barcelona is gonna let Eto'o go if they will able to grab Henry or Drogba, who recently said wants to end his career in Italy or Spain. Milan said they wants Eto'o and they have shown interest in Abidal too.
                      - Inter has shown interest in Nasri, Pato and Tevez. Tevez would be an immediate addiction, and he really wants to play for Inter, because he'd play with his friends Cambiasso, Zanetti, Crespo, Burdisso etc. For Nasri and Pato voices are that they're gonna be in Milano next year.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Really wish I got FSC. I'm beginning to get the feeling I'm not going to be able to see any of these Gold Cup games until I go to Chicago to see the final.

Comment

• http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Italy still 1st, US rised big time, Germany at 4 :).

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by etk View Post
                            http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Italy still 1st, US rised big time, Germany at 4 :).
                            I don't put a lot of stock into those rankings, but it's good to see US get some love.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
                              Some news from the market:

- Alberto Gilardino wants to play for Juventus. He said that he'd change his agent to play for them.
                              - Trezeguet wants out of Juventus. After scoring his 15th goal of the season he said "now please let me go".
                              - If Milan loose Gilardino they're gonna make the move for Eto'o. Barcelona is gonna let Eto'o go if they will able to grab Henry or Drogba, who recently said wants to end his career in Italy or Spain. Milan said they wants Eto'o and they have shown interest in Abidal too.
                              - Inter has shown interest in Nasri, Pato and Tevez. Tevez would be an immediate addiction, and he really wants to play for Inter, because he'd play with his friends Cambiasso, Zanetti, Crespo, Burdisso etc. For Nasri and Pato voices are that they're gonna be in Milano next year.
                              Just to add to this a little bit based on the English press.
                              • Arsenal are showing a strong interest in the £5m rated David Trezeguet as he is Thierry Henry's best friend and they want to keep him happy at all costs.
                              • AC Milan have been linked with Carlos Tevez as a replacement for Gilardino should he leave.
                              • AC Milan target Florent Malouda has been rated at £17m, a steep price for all of his potential suitors.
                              • David Villa has pledged his future to Valencia for the foreseeable future and wants to extend his contract
                              • An announcement is expected at any moment regarding the availability of Fernando Torres, who it is widely believed wants to move on as a result of Atletico's lack of real progression
                              • 19 goal striker Diego Forlan may be on his way to Liverpool as the new American owners are unwilling to cough up the funds for anyone more expensive
                              • Juande Ramos, the Sevilla Manager is being targeted as the new Man City manager, whose takeover by Thaksin Shinawatra is in jeopardy after the former Thai PM's funds were frozen in anti-corruption matters.
                              • http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/6747937.stm
                              Enjoy the little update, there is more but that's off the top of my head.
                              Last edited by UKfan; 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
                                Donovan's way more effective in center midfielder, or forward role. Putting him on the wing hinders his ability to create, and be a midfield maestro. As a striker, he has a very quick turn, and will beat you very quickly. Putting him on the wing just to create crosses is just a plain waist of talent. You can put any fast guy out there to do that.
                                I disagree, I believe donovan is more effective in spurts than controlling the ball in central midfield. He can disappear at forward and I really liked how he played on the wing.

The wing does much more than cross, in fact in our style it happens that the defender does as much service as the wings, and when Donovan/Dempsey/Beasley cut in towards goal they are huge threats.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information