NBA Discussion: Warrioooooors, come out to plaaayaaay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    It's the same thing LeBron did basically. With no franchise tag and fully guaranteed contracts, NBA players are pretty much free to do whatever they want. I'm not a fan of the system...

I am, maybe it's because I don't like when a team can hold a player hostage, maybe because I like parity and stars changing teams I'm not sure, but if a team wants to go I don't like how an NFL team can keep franchising him to keep him on the team. I'd much rather teams make the choice to trade him, or know they can re-sign him, I never liked the franchise tag honestly.

NFL would probably be alot more exciting to me without it. Plus players can get the shaft playing on multiple franchise tags and getting hurt, just imagine if Dumervil had been hurt playing on one.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• So you prefer the only system of the 4 sports that favors the owners in a huge way? That's nice.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
        The drafting team has the ability to offer more money to their players. They have some kind of leverage over other teams in a free for all for a player. in the NFL, the team has the players by the balls, it's the other way around. No guaranteed money and the franchise tag. You could be stuck on a **** team for all your life if a front office wanted.
        Which is why I'm in favor of limiting the Franchise Tag and reducing the number of years needed to reach UFA, but there still need to be a few limiting option in place I think. Give teams one use of the franchise tag on a player, and they basically get one last chance to sign him long term or trade him.

I think that if something like it existed in the NBA, LeBron is either still a Cav or at least, they could have traded him for something, instead of losing him for nothing. They maybe could have traded him to the Heat for Beasley and draft picks for the next decade. Might not be worth what LeBron is, but it would have been a hell of a lot better than the nothing the actually got for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          I am, maybe it's because I don't like when a team can hold a player hostage, maybe because I like parity and stars changing teams I'm not sure, but if a team wants to go I don't like how an NFL team can keep franchising him to keep him on the team. I'd much rather teams make the choice to trade him, or know they can re-sign him, I never liked the franchise tag honestly.

NFL would probably be alot more exciting to me without it. Plus players can get the shaft playing on multiple franchise tags and getting hurt, just imagine if Dumervil had been hurt playing on one.
          Like I've said before, I'd like to see the franchise tag limited to one use per player, and the time it takes to reach UFA dropped.

Right now, the NBA is basically becomng a league where there will be 4-5 good teams at the top where every star player tries like hell to get to....the rest basically become farm teams developing their high draft picks until the reach free agency, at which point they'll get nothing for them.

Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
          So you prefer the only system of the 4 sports that favors the owners in a huge way? That's nice.
          I think it's better for the game, which is the thing I care most about as a fan.

Comment

• Well specifically Dan Gilbert is a clown and didn't want to give up JJ Hickson for Amare?
            Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
            Coples is that dude.
            Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

• I think they got some future firsts from Miami actually.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                I think they got some future firsts from Miami actually.
                a first round pick from one of the league's best team doesn't mean all that much.

Also, I dont know what the hell he's done but Kobe has upped his shooting remarkably. He's playing a lot more efficiently and not taking bad shots and making poor decisions.

Comment

Like I've said before, I'd like to see the franchise tag limited to one use per player, and the time it takes to reach UFA dropped.

Right now, the NBA is basically becomng a league where there will be 4-5 good teams at the top where every star player tries like hell to get to....the rest basically become farm teams developing their high draft picks until the reach free agency, at which point they'll get nothing for them.

I don't think that's true. Durant wasn't in a big hurry to hit FA, I don't think Deron will either. Teams can only afford so many max contracts and there are alot more good players to where they all can't hord to 3 or 4 teams. Maybe we see a few like that, but it's not like the team doesn't have the option of trading guys they don't think they'll get back.

I also don't think every star wants to team up with another star, their all not hardwired like that. I would just rather the parity, and give players the option to leave when it's time vs being stuck with a team and being on a 1 year contract where if they get hurt all the money they were expecting is gone.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    I don't think that's true. Durant wasn't in a big hurry to hit FA, I don't think Deron will either. Teams can only afford so many max contracts and there are alot more good players to where they all can't hord to 3 or 4 teams. Maybe we see a few like that, but it's not like the team doesn't have the option of trading guys they don't think they'll get back.

I also don't think every star wants to team up with another star, their all not hardwired like that. I would just rather the parity, and give players the option to leave when it's time vs being stuck with a team and being on a 1 year contract where if they get hurt all the money they were expecting is gone.
                    The problem is though, that if you get a few superstar teams like LAL, Miami, NY possibly, Boston possibly...it throws parody out. Deron can stay with Salt Lake City his whole career, but they'll probably never make it past the ultra elite teams to win titles anytime soon.

The NBA is also different from the NFL in that one star NBA play can make 1000x the difference of an NFL player. When you only have 5 guys on the court and maybe only 8-9 on the team that contribute anything, one guy makes much more of a difference. So I think if they could keep a guy around, or at least get some compensation for him if another team does take him, it would be better for the league.

Comment

The problem is though, that if you get a few superstar teams like LAL, Miami, NY possibly, Boston possibly...it throws parody out. Deron can stay with Salt Lake City his whole career, but they'll probably never make it past the ultra elite teams to win titles anytime soon.

The NBA is also different from the NFL in that one star NBA play can make 1000x the difference of an NFL player. When you only have 5 guys on the court and maybe only 8-9 on the team that contribute anything, one guy makes much more of a difference. So I think if they could keep a guy around, or at least get some compensation for him if another team does take him, it would be better for the league.
                      They don't give you anything in the NHL when a player leaves for free agency, so it's not like you can do it efficiently. The problem is the draft is so damn meaningless after like twenty picks that you cannot reward a team via the draft, nor can you really find any other ways. It's just the way basketball is with the limited amount of resources available.

And Deron is probably going to want to go to free agency because he's an asshole.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Ron Artest with the shoulder height dribble drive while looking at the ball.

Phil Jackson should rig something up so he gets an electric shock every time he dribbles it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
                          They don't give you anything in the NHL when a player leaves for free agency, so it's not like you can do it efficiently. The problem is the draft is so damn meaningless after like twenty picks that you cannot reward a team via the draft, nor can you really find any other ways. It's just the way basketball is with the limited amount of resources available.

And Deron is probably going to want to go to free agency because he's an asshole.
                          I think that even those later rounders are better than nothing..it at least gives you a little more to play with. And if the team taking your player has some salary cap issues, they can send you some players as well. Again, none will replace the star you're losing, but it's still something.

It's just a ****** system I think...having fewer teams in the league would also help. Whole nother topic though.

Comment

• He gets a lot of flak on this board for his offensive game but Dwight Howard actually isn't that bad an offensive player. He actually have moves now, go to moves. AND on top of that it looks like he's improving or at least working on his offensive game.

He just doesn't get enough touches or designed plays. They should go to him to set up the three. ie. the run to set up the pass

Comment

I think that even those later rounders are better than nothing..it at least gives you a little more to play with. And if the team taking your player has some salary cap issues, they can send you some players as well. Again, none will replace the star you're losing, but it's still something.

It's just a ****** system I think...having fewer teams in the league would also help. Whole nother topic though.
                              Same amount of teams as the other sports, but I suppose it is a sport that would be better off having about 24 teams instead of 30. Irrelevant though, since this isn't the point. I guess the best thing to do in this situation is some sort of cap leeway from the NBA, but that would be annoying to determine.

Nice Dwight dunk to end the quarter. Or not......great job Arenas, you stupid fuckstick.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Arenas' was out of bounds, not sure if they can review that part though.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information