NBA Discussion: Warrioooooors, come out to plaaayaaay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by soybean View Post
    He's overrated in the sense that he is not on the level of best player in the league yet.

He's pretty hot and cold. I mean he has 17 games this year where he's shot under .400His team still has a mediocre record when before the season began you had all analysts pegging them as the 2nd best team in the west. Plus, he's had a decent team around him. That's why he's not at Lebron's level YET
    And 22 games where he's shot over 50%, 32 games over 45%.

Look I can use stats with higher volumes to make him look better.

Has Durant had some games where he shot poorly? Of course. But I wouldn't call 70% of his games over 40%, 55% over 45%, and 38% over 50% inconsistent.

I'm not saying he is/isn't overrated, but using the fact that he's shot under 40% in only 17 games isn't a very good stat to use in support given that the majority of the time he shoots much better. You can't fault a player for having occasional off games.

Lebron has shot under 40% in 10 games this season, and Kobe in 14. Let's not make it seem like Durant has a ridiculous amount more off shooting nights.
    Last edited by iowatreat54; 03-09-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Miami still scares me too. You never know what could happen if they turn it on.

I know evidence suggests otherwise, but you just never know. In basketball, the cream always rises to the top. Talent wins.

There's still time for this team to get it together.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        May sound crazy...but I still think the Heat will the championship this year. I still cant wrap my head around a team with that talent NOT winning it. lol. They're playing like ****, but they still scare the hell out of me.
        Sound crazy? My how things have taken a 180 from the beginning of "the decision" to now. Everyone and their moms were thinking they had the next 5 championships locked up. Now it's a crazy thought? haha.

I don't think they'll win. I think they are dysfunctional. Why?

1. I don't think Lebron and Wade can co-exist and both be at the top of their games. Someone has to give. It doesn't matter what their stats say. They both can have 30 point nights in the same game. What matters is who the top dog, the alpha male, the closer is, the one guy that they rely on most... and that role will never be defined to be just one guy.

2. Wade and Lebron are near duplicates in regards to scoring. Both are at their best when they are driving to the basket. Neither have developed a reliable/deadly shot. It spoke volumes yesterday when Lebron was asked about Mike Miller's inconsistency from long range lately and he pretty much shouldered the blame on Mike to deliver when he gets the ball. Lebron said that Mike gets a lot of good looks because of the penetration and kickouts he gets from Wade and himself, and that he needs to deliver when given the ball to shoot. WTF is that all about? That's Lebron's job to be the main man to deliver! Not Mike Miller's!!! Fact is, Lebron can't do it. He's got to be in the zone in order to have the confidence to shoot the 3. He can't just do it unconsciously. The skill isn't developed enough. Same goes for Wade.

So what happens? Teams just have to crowd the paint. It's A LOT easier to defend the closed space in the middle than it is to be spread out across the court. Lebron and Wade don't space each other out because both of their natural tendencies are to drive through the lane. ...which is the area that Bosh operates in. So all 3 are trying to attack from close range and that makes it easier for teams to defend. Especially teams with size. What is their counter to that? Kick outs to Mike Miller? Umm.. yeah. Teams have found it quite easy to defend Miller who just sits out on the 3 point line. Just put a hand in his face.

3. Eric Spolestra is incapable. With every loss, his seat gets hotter and hotter. He was supposed to have the easiest job in the world. Just make sure the Big 3 are on the court at the same time. Again, it speaks volumes that he hasn't been able to make proper adjustments to get them back in their winning ways, develop specific roles, and the Crygate exposure he caused by publicizing what went on in the lockerroom following the loss was all on him! If he had just kept his mouth shut, the Heat would still have their manhood. Now, they're just cry babies being mocked by everyone including their peers. Ouch. Their losing streak is unacceptable. He might be Pat Riley's pet, but if they don't win the championship, Riley is going to have to make a change.

4. Stan Van Gundy was right. Bosh is just a lapdog.
        Last edited by D-Unit; 03-09-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• What "realistic" big three scenarios would you like to see in upcoming years?

My choices:

Lakers
          SG Kobe Bryant
          PF Pau Gasol
          C Dwight Howard

I'd really like to see how well Pau and Dwight play. They're complete opposites but together would completely own the paint. Gasol with his finesse moves and skillful offense and Dwight with his unworldy athleticism and elite defense.

Bulls
          PG Derrick Rose
          PF Carlos Boozer
          C Dwight Howard

Not so much a big three as a big two, but Rose and Howard together would be completely mesmerizing. Both are young too, they'd be able to stick together at an elite level for 8+ years, at least. I've always thought Boozer was a bit overrated, but with these two guys on his team he could play well. If they could somehow land someone like Andre Iguodala (who I like more than Deng), that would be one baaaaaadass team.

Maybe something like this (with cash and picks involved too):
          http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4ln7vd9

Knicks
          PG Chris Paul
          SF Carmelo Anthony
          PF Amar'e Stoudemire

This would be one very scary offensive juggernaut. Probably the most balanced too, elite distributor, elite pure scorer, and elite big man scorer. Defensively, they might not be great, but I think they'd be better than what people believe they could be. *Same scenario but with Deron at PG*

What other scenarios would you guys have?
          Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 03-09-2011, 03:49 PM.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Kevin Durant/Russell Westbrook/Dwight Howard.

Dynasty.

Comment

• Meh, I like what the Bulls are building. If they keep their core in tact and add a shooter, they could easily be a regular championship contender. And they'd be one of those teams that star players hate to face because they actually do this unusual thing called play defense.

That Knicks one seems most likely of the 3 to happen.

Comment

• None...the league will go to **** if they keep up with this big three crap. Granted the same few teams seem to win the championship anyway (It really is a select group)...but talk about making basketball even less relevant for smaller market teams, and well, the majority of the league.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

• By the time Dwight is a FA Kobe will already be pretty deep into his decline as a player. Don't really see him going there because of this

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                    Kevin Durant/Russell Westbrook/Dwight Howard.

Dynasty.
                    Oooh, that's a good one.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                      By the time Dwight is a FA Kobe will already be pretty deep into his decline as a player. Don't really see him going there because of this
                      Eh, I wouldn't say pretty deep. It would be after next season, don't think Kobe will be washed up by then.

I'm intrigued as to how his decline will appear. He's obviously not the athlete he once was right now, but he's still playing at an elite level. Still clutch, still makes tough shots, and I've felt he's gradually increasing the amount of time he plays closer to the paint, but that could just be me.

I dunno if it's my optimism or not, but I think Kobe could still be a very good player in 3,4 years.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        That's not a complete basketball player. lol.

Kobe is still the best. Lebron never took that title away. Neither has Durant for that matter.
                        Yes it is. No one does more for their team to help you win than LeBron James. LeBron James has been better than Kobe for five years now, it's just people don't like LeBron enough to admit that fact.

LeBron is also a damn good defender (has improved a ton over the past few years), is able to play multiple positions ranging from point guard to power foward, makes his team better with his passing, is unselfish as a superstar, and is arguably the best rebounder on the Heat. I don't know how these things don't make LeBron the best in the NBA considering basketball is primarily about scoring, rebounding, passing and defense.

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                        So LeBron got worse?
                        Not really, but having role players who suck and are able to to one thing well doesn't mean that it constitutes a great team. That is my overlying point. The Cavs basically thought they could substitute bringing in good players for mediocre/sub par players and hope LeBron carried them on his back. He did for the most part, especially in the regular season, but like PL said, that wasn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        It's no question to me that Lebron is worse now than he was in Cleveland. He's no longer the man. He's dysfunctional. He's scared to be the one to miss too. The fact that Wade has asked to be the man to close out games says it all.
                        How is LeBron afraid to miss? If anything, he's been the only player taking these shots at the end of games. Either Wade is afraid to take these shots or the coaching knows he's just as bad at it as LeBron and doesn't want him taking the last shot.

Also, where did Wade ask to close out games? I don't see why he would considering Wade is a horrid last second shot guy himself. Worse than LeBron.
                        (shameless self-promotion)
                        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          None...the league will go to **** if they keep up with this big three crap. Granted the same few teams seem to win the championship anyway (It really is a select group)...but talk about making basketball even less relevant for smaller market teams, and well, the majority of the league.
                          Wasn't the NBA basically revitalized on the notion of a few star studded teams constantly battling it out in the playoffs/finals?

I think it's obvious a few teams need to go, so that the smaller teams can have more access to talent via the draft and free agency, but I do believe come playoff time the battle of the "big three" type teams will create a ton of buzz and fun once they fill out the rest of their rosters in the next couple years.
                          (shameless self-promotion)
                          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                            Yes it is. No one does more for their team to help you win than LeBron James. LeBron James has been better than Kobe for five years now, it's just people don't like LeBron enough to admit that fact.

LeBron is also a damn good defender (has improved a ton over the past few years), is able to play multiple positions ranging from point guard to power foward, makes his team better with his passing, is unselfish as a superstar, and is arguably the best rebounder on the Heat. I don't know how these things don't make LeBron the best in the NBA considering basketball is primarily about scoring, rebounding, passing and defense.

Not really, but having role players who suck and are able to to one thing well doesn't mean that it constitutes a great team. That is my overlying point. The Cavs basically thought they could substitute bringing in good players for mediocre/sub par players and hope LeBron carried them on his back. He did for the most part, especially in the regular season, but like PL said, that wasn't going to cut it in the playoffs.

How is LeBron afraid to miss? If anything, he's been the only player taking these shots at the end of games. Either Wade is afraid to take these shots or the coaching knows he's just as bad at it as LeBron and doesn't want him taking the last shot.

Also, where did Wade ask to close out games? I don't see why he would considering Wade is a horrid last second shot guy himself. Worse than LeBron.
                            Lebron is a guy near the top of the league in all around peripheral numbers. Doesn't make him the best player in the league. Lebron is not the killer that Kobe is.

Who's better at bringing you back in the game when you are down? Kobe.

Who's better at closing out games? Kobe.

Who's better at winning? Kobe.

Comment

• Adam Morrison's best contribution as a Laker: stealing a high five.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                                Adam Morrison's best contribution as a Laker: stealing a high five.

That's fricken hilarious! thanks! hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information