Running/Jogging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running/Jogging

I was just looking for suggestions on how to start running/jogging long distance to stay in shape. It's been awhile since I've done anything in competitive sports so although I'm not in really bad shape I'm not in good shape by any means either. So, any suggestions?

run until you can't anymore, walk for a bit, and then run again. Repeat process until suddenly you find the distance you run before you stop keeps increasing.
    Running is great for staying mentally focused because when you first start you just want to stop.

Also the phrase if you don't use it you lose it really applies to cardio.

Comment

Well I run XC so here are my easy tips:

Considering on how bad you are out of shape, I'd first run a one mile warmup. Do it at like 9 minute pace depending again on how bad you are out of shape. Stretch out.

Now, really you want to iron out 3-4 miles a day. Though you can start with just 2 for the first day or two. I would say if you do 3-4, don't do it like it's a huge race; but take it a bit harder than the warmup.

Then run a slow cool-down for a few minutes. Get your heart rate back to normal more progressively.

Rinse/Repeat for the next two weeks then you can start phasing in workout-style runs. Hills, Track Workouts, Tempo runs.
      Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
        run until you can't anymore, walk for a bit, and then run again. Repeat process until suddenly you find the distance you run before you stop keeps increasing.
        Running is great for staying mentally focused because when you first start you just want to stop.

Also the phrase if you don't use it you lose it really applies to cardio.
        But you're not allowed to stop. It's your motto, you keep going and going and going and going.....

Comment

I run anywhere from 3-6 miles a day on average with usually one good 10 miler a week. My suggestion is to just find a pace you feel comfortable running at. Unless you are competing in some sort of race, nobody cares how fast you run. My shorter 3 miler runs I usually run at a 6:30 per mile pace and if I'm running 5 or more I usually slow it down to a good 8 minute pace

Comment

I wouldnt tell the guy to go run 3 miles a day haha. Im in good shape and id be dead after that. Though im not trained for long distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
              Well I run XC so here are my easy tips:

Considering on how bad you are out of shape, I'd first run a one mile warmup. Do it at like 9 minute pace depending again on how bad you are out of shape. Stretch out.

Now, really you want to iron out 3-4 miles a day. Though you can start with just 2 for the first day or two. I would say if you do 3-4, don't do it like it's a huge race; but take it a bit harder than the warmup.

Then run a slow cool-down for a few minutes. Get your heart rate back to normal more progressively.

Rinse/Repeat for the next two weeks then you can start phasing in workout-style runs. Hills, Track Workouts, Tempo runs.
              Awesome thats the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I'm not really in bad shape before I left for college I played pickup basketball all the time but I just wasn't in good shape either. Not like I'm that overweight I'm actually pretty light for my height like 5'11 155 when I left, I'd just like to add some endurance while getting better in shape. I ran a pretty good distance today, not positive on how long it was but I'd say 2-3 miles. I should be running once daily, correct?

And SuperKevin that's amazing, I can only hope that I'm able to run like that someday. Not only the distances, but the times are very good too. Were/are you in the military at all by any chance?

Comment

I might try a bunch of different things. As said, I'd start light, find and build up your pace, start up with a 2 miler your first day at medium pace, say 7-8 mile pace and then see how that feels. If that's tough and you're dying afterwards, then do that same exact thing for about a week and just slowly increase your speed and distance as you feel yourself getting in better shape.

It's also important to keep a steady heart rate, so do a quick cool down run to get it back to normal when you're done, and maybe do some push ups as well.

Stretch a lot and where the proper shoes, when I first started running, I wore indoor soccer shoes and i developed a serious case of tendonitis and couldn't run for 2 weeks, about 3 months later and I still have it, my tendon is so swolen that it presses against the nerve of my foot and sends a rush of pain, like an electrocution, up my leg on contact. So basically it's very important that you get your foot fitted and get proper running shoes, don't run in any old casual shoes.
                Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                  Awesome thats the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I'm not really in bad shape before I left for college I played pickup basketball all the time but I just wasn't in good shape either. Not like I'm that overweight I'm actually pretty light for my height like 5'11 155 when I left, I'd just like to add some endurance while getting better in shape. I ran a pretty good distance today, not positive on how long it was but I'd say 2-3 miles. I should be running once daily, correct?

And SuperKevin that's amazing, I can only hope that I'm able to run like that someday. Not only the distances, but the times are very good too. Were/are you in the military at all by any chance?
                  I'm a US Marine

Comment

Also, if possible, find grass or dirt trails to run on for your first several weeks. Avoid pavement. Until your legs get used to the pounding, they'll be highly succeptable to shin splints. If you get those, you won't be able to run for long enough that you'll be back to square one. Just go a couple of miles a day until your joints and muscles start feeling good. Then add the miles. It usually took about 3-4 months before I was up to an 18 miler back in my running years.

Comment

I was just looking for suggestions on how to start running/jogging long distance to stay in shape. It's been awhile since I've done anything in competitive sports so although I'm not in really bad shape I'm not in good shape by any means either. So, any suggestions?
                      I have been running races for years now from 5k up to half marathons. The number one thing you need to do if you are just getting started is go to a running store and get good running sneakers. Make sure you stretch alot before you run. Dont try to do to much to fast. Just start out slow and work your way up.
                      Originally posted by nvot9
                      I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                      Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                      Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                      Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                      Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Originally posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
                        I have been running races for years now from 5k up to half marathons. The number one thing you need to do if you are just getting started is go to a running store and get good running sneakers. Make sure you stretch alot before you run. Dont try to do to much to fast. Just start out slow and work your way up.
                        What exactly would you consider good running sneakers? I usually get running shoes when I buy them, right now I have the Nike Shox. Will those get the job done? Also I'm not running around a track or anything, so any suggestions for hills i.e. how to run them (both up and down), or if I should just avoid them.

Comment

Nike Shox aren't too bad. I like the Nike Air Huaraches personally but any running shoe will do good.

Hills?

Well let's just say you do 10 minutes of charging hills. Pump your arms, run forward (obviously) and really charge those hills. Leaning forward helps a lot too, but not too far of course. Control yourself going down hill. Keep your form but it's more recovery going down hills.

I would avoid them early on. It's rather strenous depending on the hill, but get your body into a bit of shape.
                          Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

Good sneakers are going to vary for every runner. Go to a good store where they'll be able to recommend the right shoe for you. There's too many issues to consider to just take a blind recommendation over the internet. Personally, I've found that Nike tends to focus more on cushioning than support. If you don't have wide feet or do have high arches, Nike might not be your best bet.
                            Last edited by Scar; 08-28-2007, 12:18 PM. Reason: missed a word, had said the opposite of what I meant to say

Comment

What exactly would you consider good running sneakers? I usually get running shoes when I buy them, right now I have the Nike Shox. Will those get the job done? Also I'm not running around a track or anything, so any suggestions for hills i.e. how to run them (both up and down), or if I should just avoid them.
                              I dont run on a track either. I wear New Balances imo they are the best running sneakers in the world. Running up hills is good for training. Make sure when you are running down them you slow up. Because once you get to the bottom if you are going to fast you wont be able to keep up that pace.
                              Originally posted by nvot9
                              I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                              Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                              Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                              Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                              Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information