Letter of Resignation @ Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    Ha. It's a matter of overselling more than anything else. Whenever a prospective employer asks you what you make, automatically inflate the figure by a reasonable amount (If you make $35k, say you make $40k or so, etc.). Since white collar companies also understand that it usually takes a raise over the baseline to entice new employees to sign on, you create a significant margin right off the bat. In the consulting industry, for instance, the standard is at least 20% above current salary to get a new employee. In other industries, it's less, if anything. If you inflate your salary reasonably, even if you sign on for "no additional money", you're still looking at a raise.
    Sounds like good times, maybe I should have finished college instead of drinking.......

Oh well nothing wrong with working in a factory, that is if I get the job.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

If you work hard and are honest, there is no shame in doing anything, IMO.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

If you work hard and are honest, there is no shame in doing anything, IMO.
        I've made a lot of mistakes and foolish decisions in my life, at this point all I can do is work hard to try and salvage something for myself.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
        On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
        Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
          I've made a lot of mistakes and foolish decisions in my life, at this point all I can do is work hard to try and salvage something for myself.
          At least you're not this guy:

Comment

Remember: Taking the fax machine outside and beating it with a baseball bat on your last day is frowned upon.

Comment

Whatever, you do e-mail and phone calls would be a way too informal way of resigning from a job, doing that leaves a bad taste in your former employer's mouth. I would wait a week myself.

Comment

eh, i wouldn't be the guy to ask about leaving a company on good terms. i say; do what's best for you. they wouldn't give you 2 weeks notice if they fired your ass.

Comment

This thread makes me think of Office Space.

Best of Luck With The New Job Bsaza

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                    This thread makes me think of Office Space.

Best of Luck With The New Job Bsaza
                    Why, because we're all "working stiffs"?
                    Desk jobs aren't that bad.

Comment

I'm still negotiating, but they want to have me on board ASAP. Seeing as the money will be a 25-40&#37; pay increase, it's in my best interest financially to make the move sooner. I also have 4 weeks of vacation saved here that I will get compensated for when I leave. Fact remains that I don't have a written offer yet, so I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.
                      The new employer should understand that you need to give your existing employer at least 2 weeks notice. I've had some potential employers complain about that, but my response is that if the situations were reversed you would expect at least 2 weeks notice before an employee left.

With my company they don't even accept a 2 week notice from top level employees, if a senior guys gives notice they shake his hand, cut his checks for vacation and the two weeks, and show him the door. Your with us or against us kind of thing.
                      "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Originally posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
                        Whatever, you do e-mail and phone calls would be a way too informal way of resigning from a job, doing that leaves a bad taste in your former employer's mouth. I would wait a week myself.
                        That was never my intent. No matter when I go forward with my resignation, I will be brought in to discuss the matter with the President. I think it is best to probably wait. As of right now, I don't have a formal offer, so it may very well be a non-issue. I can easily wait until Tuesday or later next week.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
                          The new employer should understand that you need to give your existing employer at least 2 weeks notice. I've had some potential employers complain about that, but my response is that if the situations were reversed you would expect at least 2 weeks notice before an employee left.

With my company they don't even accept a 2 week notice from top level employees, if a senior guys gives notice they shake his hand, cut his checks for vacation and the two weeks, and show him the door. Your with us or against us kind of thing.
                          I don't think the start date (whatever I happen to pick) will be much of an issue. Ideally, I'd like a week off to relax before starting the new job, but that might not really be possible. A lot of this depends on the timing of the formal offer and how long it takes to negotiate bonuses, title, start date, and salary. Your point is a good one.

I don't think my current employer would ask me to leave before my requested notice date. We're currently short-staffed, and I'm staying on to finish several projects that I want to complete before my tenure is over.

Comment

go to where he is on vacation, and give it to him. plus you get to go on vacation

Comment

Ha. Why waste my time off (that I get paid for) and money (which I can always use for other stuff) to spend time with my boss, who I basically don't want to work for anymore?

Comment

Ha. Why waste my time off (that I get paid for) and money (which I can always use for other stuff) to spend time with my boss, who I basically don't want to work for anymore?
                                its a funny story to tell the grandchildren

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information