Read any good books lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
    Thompson was a gonzo journalist, he wasn't a pure journalist. He creatively presented non-fiction. I think that Cuckoo's Nest echos some of the same themes that are prominent in Fear and Loathing.
    My point isn't subject matter, but writing style. A lot of what Thompson wrote was fiction, even when he presented it as non-fiction. However, he presented it in a very honest and direct way, and when he did add his own commentary (like when he rips Timothy Leary in Fear and Loathing) he didn't really tend to preach.

I found Wolfe entirely too preachy in Acid Test and I have found Kesey similarly annoying in some of his work (not really in Cuckoo though).

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by scoopdawg View Post
        Please don't tell me you found out about that via a certain VH1 series.

Comment

• I've never been a huge fiction reader, but I absolutely loved this book:

Comment

• Originally posted by Moses View Post
            Dude, that show taught me everything I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
              Dude, that show taught me everything I know.
              It should be noted that it isn't clear how much of that show is acting and how much is reality. Mystery Method is real, but that show is sketchy at best.

Comment

It should be noted that it isn't clear how much of that show is acting and how much is reality. Mystery Method is real, but that show is sketchy at best.
                I didn't really watch it. But maybe I should read the book...

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
                  I didn't really watch it. But maybe I should read the book...
                  I suggest reading the book "The Game" by Neil Strauss first. It's a lot more interesting and will be easier to get through. Mystery's writings are more like a textbook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                    My point isn't subject matter, but writing style. A lot of what Thompson wrote was fiction, even when he presented it as non-fiction. However, he presented it in a very honest and direct way, and when he did add his own commentary (like when he rips Timothy Leary in Fear and Loathing) he didn't really tend to preach.

I found Wolfe entirely too preachy in Acid Test and I have found Kesey similarly annoying in some of his work (not really in Cuckoo though).
                    Honestly due to time conflicts I only got like half through Acid Test, although I enjoyed what I read enough to recommend it. And I haven't got around to reading Kesey's other works, and really don't intend to from what I've gathered about them.

sig by VLS
                    Originally posted by Smokey Joe
                    I don't care...

Comment

nope i found out about it like 6 months ago and yes it does work

Comment

• Blind Side by Michael Lewis

Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman

Republic by Plato

Comment

• The best book I've ever read:

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Libid21 View Post
                              HOLY CRAP I was just going to post that, that is really weird. I just finished it two nights ago, I thought it was hilarious though many people will be disgusted by it.

Comment

• I just started Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, so far so good. really interesting stuff.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information