Career Directional Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Directional Help

I am currently looking for some future career guidance.

I've decided on international relations with a minor in information science for college and looking for a career in US Customs and Border Patrol.

If anyone cares about me, and thinks this is a terrible idea, please post:

Other major possibilities are slight chances:

Geography
    Food Marketing

Thanks

Fischbowl

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

My advice is that if you're in an undergrad program, study what you really like and enjoy. You can get into whatever career you really want to after college with the right degree of effort and connections. I have a friend who is a doctor who majored in Religion in undergrad. My gf is a polygrapher, and she was a Bio major. Study what you love undergrad and supplement that with other classes in what you might want to do for a career. Your summer work and internships should be focused around your future career as well.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

my aunt told me something that is very true. Do what you love and the money will come. Don't pick a career based on the money alone or you'll be pretty miserable.

Also, you should talk to a guidance/career counselor.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
        my aunt told me something that is very true. Do what you love and the money will come. Don't pick a career based on the money alone or you'll be pretty miserable.

Also, you should talk to a guidance/career counselor.
        What if you love money?
        "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman View Post
          What if you love money?
          If you love money and are willing to sacrifice much of your free time and social life and youth and bust your butt to get there, I recommend an undergrad degree in economics or finance, plus a finance MBA. That should get you in as an investment banker in a major or mid-major house. Starting investment bankers make in the lower 6-figures, with equivalent bonuses that can be paid in lump sum. As you grow in your career, you can easily make a million dollars a year by age 30. What do you sacrifice? Much of your life (100 hour weeks or more). You are married to your job and cannot expect meaningful social relationships. You are highly compensated because the job is terrible, but you are also highly skilled.

If you want a real tale of investment banking work, I recommend "Monkey Business". It's a quick read, but a really good picture of what that kind of life is like.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I'm probably going to be going into sports business/administration. Well today I want to go in that direction.

Has anyone gone into this or know anybody that has?

Some advice/past experiences/idea's would be great.

Comment

You better learn Spanish if you want to do Border patrol because nearly 90% of new agents get stuck on the mexican Border for their first 5-10 years before they can relocate to the canadian border and airports

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                If you love money and are willing to sacrifice much of your free time and social life and youth and bust your butt to get there, I recommend an undergrad degree in economics or finance, plus a finance MBA. That should get you in as an investment banker in a major or mid-major house. Starting investment bankers make in the lower 6-figures, with equivalent bonuses that can be paid in lump sum. As you grow in your career, you can easily make a million dollars a year by age 30. What do you sacrifice? Much of your life (100 hour weeks or more). You are married to your job and cannot expect meaningful social relationships. You are highly compensated because the job is terrible, but you are also highly skilled.

If you want a real tale of investment banking work, I recommend "Monkey Business". It's a quick read, but a really good picture of what that kind of life is like.

essentially that's how it is.
                which is why i've said i refuse to go into the banking industry because of the massive amount of stress.

but as bzaza said earlier. do what you like. if you work hard, you'll do what you want. keep good grades. make connections. meet alumni. get good references.
                http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
                For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                  You better learn Spanish if you want to do Border patrol because nearly 90% of new agents get stuck on the mexican Border for their first 5-10 years before they can relocate to the canadian border and airports
                  habla espanol pequeno. El Aeropuerto de Buffalo Internacional es prefiero.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                    habla espanol pequeno. El Aeropuerto de Buffalo Internacional es prefiero.
                    Put in a decade of solid service and you just might make that happen

Comment

Just do like me and marry a rich pretty girl.

Comment

Just had a buddy that graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in legal studies I believe who was hired by the Border Patrol. He is currently in their training program in Arizona for a few more weeks (its basically a less intense boot camp) where they teach you everything from the physicall necessities of the job to spanish and everything in between. So it is definitely attainable. I remember talking to him, his ultimate goal was to work in the FBI, where his uncle works I believe, and apparently the border patrol is the easiest way to get "in" for jobs like the FBI down the road (better than local law enforcement because they like to recruit Federal Employees more than State or Local Employees).

So yeah, its definitely a worthwhile goal and the rewards are there, much earlier than the 5-10 years that was quoted earlier.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information