X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Bay Scat
    started a topic Pray for my friend

Pray for my friend

Sunday Morning(3 am) my friend Jamal Malone was put in intensive care in a coma after having 2 surgeries on his head to reduce swelling(and as of now, has the back of his skull removed and on ice or something like ice, to keep it from swelling). The story of how it happened is blurred, but from what i know it went like this. There were 4 samoans(who quit our team) and 4 guys on our team, well one of the samoans what beating up Jamals good friend(named Pada) and so when he was running over to help, the samoan turned around and landed a big one, jamals head hit the ground hard and bounced high off the ground. They have 3 guys in custody and we dont know if there was ever a 4th guy, but right now hes in a coma, i dont know if he'll ever be the same

please just keep this thread positive, and just pray for him

• akvikefan89
    replied
    Prayers are with your friend bro.

Leave a comment:

• A Perfect Score
    replied
    thats really unfortunate man, im not religious but best of luck to him i hope he comes through

Leave a comment:

• Green Bay Scat
    replied
    right now its just a lot of mumbo jumbo, i talked to his mom and she said if he comes out of it, it will be a miracle, since the brain is different for everyone. Honestly i dont know if he'll be jamal again, or just a carrot

Leave a comment:

• Sniper
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Bay Scat View Post
    SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2007 05:32 AM, CDT

Yesterday, Jamal was critical but relatively stable. His team had only minor adjustments to make to his system levels to keep him in the zone. His ICP stayed at a manageable level. This was a GOOD day!!! We still know at this early stage itís hour by hour and not only do they watch any signs happening from the injuries, they now need to watch anything new from all of the different intervention levels they have had to take to keep him alive. They watch for Pneumonia since they are breathing for him. They watch for signs of infections that can come in multiple ways. His blood is constantly checked for sugar and other factors that alert them to changes in the body to be prepared to react to. I have told several friends/family that what they are expecting at the moment is too much. He is not about to open his eyes and wonder where he is. The best we can hope for at this stage is that his heart beats calmly. He get a little annoyed and his heart beat rises when he his having his hips flexed. I used to tell him he was lazy about working his bird legs. Even in his coma, he doesnít want to work out his lower body. Brett and I hit exhaustion levels yesterday. The SICU area is very busy on the weekends. There is so much to do while you feel like you can do nothing but wait. His friends have been here watching the paint dry with us. So many people have lifted up our family during this time. We cannot begin to express fully our gratitude that your love and outpouring has given us. The energy that has been sent our way is truly amazing and I donít think we could have made it through these days, hours, and minutes with out them. Most of have a hard time asking and receiving help, and we are no different. But, as someone told me when I needed to hear it most, God lives in that SICU area and throughout that hospital. He has constantly sent his earthbound angels to sit next to us, to feed us, to make us laugh with stories, to encourage, and be any possible support. Itís been a long week. Its been a heavy week. I am awake at this moment because this is about the timeframe when he was hurting last Sunday and we were not aware that we were on the verge of losing something extremely precious.

also neko, this was after bail. im sure they just went back to their familys

Any updates GBS?

Leave a comment:

• Green Bay Scat
    replied
    SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2007 05:32 AM, CDT

Yesterday, Jamal was critical but relatively stable. His team had only minor adjustments to make to his system levels to keep him in the zone. His ICP stayed at a manageable level. This was a GOOD day!!! We still know at this early stage it’s hour by hour and not only do they watch any signs happening from the injuries, they now need to watch anything new from all of the different intervention levels they have had to take to keep him alive. They watch for Pneumonia since they are breathing for him. They watch for signs of infections that can come in multiple ways. His blood is constantly checked for sugar and other factors that alert them to changes in the body to be prepared to react to. I have told several friends/family that what they are expecting at the moment is too much. He is not about to open his eyes and wonder where he is. The best we can hope for at this stage is that his heart beats calmly. He get a little annoyed and his heart beat rises when he his having his hips flexed. I used to tell him he was lazy about working his bird legs. Even in his coma, he doesn’t want to work out his lower body. Brett and I hit exhaustion levels yesterday. The SICU area is very busy on the weekends. There is so much to do while you feel like you can do nothing but wait. His friends have been here watching the paint dry with us. So many people have lifted up our family during this time. We cannot begin to express fully our gratitude that your love and outpouring has given us. The energy that has been sent our way is truly amazing and I don’t think we could have made it through these days, hours, and minutes with out them. Most of have a hard time asking and receiving help, and we are no different. But, as someone told me when I needed to hear it most, God lives in that SICU area and throughout that hospital. He has constantly sent his earthbound angels to sit next to us, to feed us, to make us laugh with stories, to encourage, and be any possible support. It’s been a long week. Its been a heavy week. I am awake at this moment because this is about the timeframe when he was hurting last Sunday and we were not aware that we were on the verge of losing something extremely precious.

also neko, this was after bail. im sure they just went back to their familys

Leave a comment:

• neko4
    replied
    Hows everything now?
    Also the idiots who attacked your friend are stupid. They ran off to an island, thats part of America...
    Anyway I hope they get caught and more so your friend makes it

Leave a comment:

• steelersfan43
    replied
    Originally posted by Damix View Post
    Praying implies religion. I am offended.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• j05son
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Bay Scat View Post
    they have them in custody and they bailed out, some think they went back to hawaii, but as of now, its all legal, plus if jamal doesnt make it, its gonna be manslaughter/murder instead of assult with a deadly weapon(hopefully attempted murder) its still hazey right now
    Don't worry if they went back to Hawaii. With charges like that, any state should be able to extradite them back...I'm no lawyer though...

Leave a comment:

• Bills2083
    replied
    ^hopefully justice is served

Leave a comment:

• Green Bay Scat
    replied
    Originally posted by j05son View Post
    Any news on the kids that did this to Jamal?
    they have them in custody and they bailed out, some think they went back to hawaii, but as of now, its all legal, plus if jamal doesnt make it, its gonna be manslaughter/murder instead of assult with a deadly weapon(hopefully attempted murder) its still hazey right now

Leave a comment:

• T-RICH49
    replied
    I will definately keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

Leave a comment:

• j05son
    replied
    Any news on the kids that did this to Jamal?

Leave a comment:

• Bills2083
    replied
    hope your friend gets better soon.

Leave a comment:

• Green Bay Scat
    replied
    FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2007 09:27 AM, CDT
    All, as you can imagine, it has been a long hard week and it’s not over for us yet. The thing about TBI –“traumatic Brain injury” (yes, it has a name). I’ll explain a bit more later.

First, yesterday, we left him alone as much as possible. His ICP (intracranial pressure) had been increasing. So his team had been working with various methods to reduce this. One method is to release fluid from the brain via the ICP drip. He also had his JP drip removed yesterday. That is this little bulb collector about the size of a big nasal squeegee that mom’s used to use to pull snotty woogies from babies noses. I remember I had one and the suction was not very good. So we use to blow real quickly into Jamal’s mouth when he was a baby and the woogies that were stuffed would come out his nose. And most of you mom’s know who have done this also meant that those woogies were on our cheek and face. Ughh….but the had to get unstuffy. His JP drain was a clear container which allowed you to see if there was still much blood pooling and its clarity. As part of the fluid is blood and the other part is spinal juice that keep the brain lubricated.

I almost forgot, they removed it because there was less fluid under the skin now. This is good.

But (there is always a “but” I am finding out”, they had increased his sedation also because. It seems Mr. JAM metabolizes his sedation meds too fast. So they have had to increase it. It lowered his ICP and worked well. We are all teasing that Jamal seems to be more responsive to the single blond RN’s that work in his room.

Also, Jamal received red blood cells yesterday. ((All, GIVE BLOOD!!!!) they could be using it here for him.)). The red blood cells are used to increase the ability for his brain to get more O2. His ventilator system is about at as high of a % as they want in their mix. I might have said this, but I’ll hit it again quick. They keep his body and brain at a lower temperature to make sure his brain is not working too hard for the rest of his body. The other drugs are there for pain and a paralytic. The combination of these things work in the negative for oxygenation for his brain, so the team has to work up a multifaceted approach to manage his CO2 and his O2. Yesterday the play was called to add Red Blood Cells. Also they gave a Saline solution to help pull fluid from the brain (ICP) to help reduce pressure.

And Oh my gosh, there is this thing called Neuro-Breath that patients get. And yes, Jamal has it. Its from the tubes and saliva around is mouth and from his stomach. I felt so bad for his RN’s. It was worse than the sweaty smell of is football gear and his feet combined. I offered an Airwick or some of those green car trees for them in his room.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information