Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March 26, 1997

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • March 26, 1997

    Best Hockey Fight In NHL History

    This could be posted in the Youtube Video thread or the NHL Discussion thread, but I decided to make a new thread for it. This game made me become a Detroit Redwings fan, and them winning the cup that year only solidified that. Many of you have probably seen it before, but for those who haven't, enjoy. (I have the game on tape, and I just recently found a highlight tape of the fights)

    Detroit Redwings vs. Colorado Avalanche
    -About one year after Lemieux cheap shotted Draper.
    -Shanahan tackles Roy.
    -Vernon fights Roy (goalie fight).
    -McCarty fights Deadmarsh.
    -McCarty fights Lemieux.
    -McCarty scores in OT.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pab978XyR3E
    Last edited by TimD; 09-24-2007, 02:55 PM.
    Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

  • #2
    Greatest hockey game ever. Im still a big Wings fan but I was absolutely obsessed with them back then. I remember this game was on the channel that you had to pay extra to get & showed a lot of local sports (dont remember what it use to be called, eventually turned into fox sports and became part of basic cable) so I didnt get to watch this game live. One of my buddies taped it though and basically had a party the next day so all of us could watch Lemieux get his dirty ass handed to him.

    Comment


    • #3
      That game will forever be remembered by me. Absolutely amazing and exciting game.

      I only wish the Detroit - Colorado rivalry was half as intense today as it was in the late nineties, early '00's. Hockey needs that kind of extreme rivalry between two superpowers again.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
        That game will forever be remembered by me. Absolutely amazing and exciting game.

        I only wish the Detroit - Colorado rivalry was half as intense today as it was in the late nineties, early '00's. Hockey needs that kind of extreme rivalry between two superpowers again.
        There will never be a rivalry like that again under the current rules.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Moses View Post
          There will never be a rivalry like that again under the current rules.
          did you forget the Buff vs Ottawa games they had last year?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
            did you forget the Buff vs Ottawa games they had last year?
            A couple games is not comparable to a decade of mutual hatred.
            R.I.P. L.E.F.
            "I am the one who knocks!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Nothing pleases me more than seeing the highlights to that game and even the series. I lost my tape that I had of that game and I will always enjoy Patrick Roy not succeeding.


              RIP TheManInBlack

              Comment


              • #8
                On the 10 year aniversery of this game back in March, ESPN had a detailed review of the game, with individual video clips of all of the fights and key moments of the game. Someone should look to see if it still exists on the site. It was cool.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.
                "I am the one who knocks!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  ESPN article.

                  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...neumann/070326

                  Avalanche coach Marc Crawford, who reportedly elbowed Ward and a Detroit News columnist and tried to barge into the officials' dressing room after the game, saw things a bit differently.

                  "I think that team has no heart," Crawford was quoted in the Detroit Free Press. "Detroit had the opportunity to do that in our building, but they didn't. … I think they showed their true colors tonight. Everyone is gutless on that team, and I'd love to see them in the playoffs."

                  They did meet in the Western Conference finals, and this time the Red Wings won in six games. After postseason heartbreaks in 1994, '95 and '96, the Red Wings finally developed a swagger on March 26, 1997, one that would carry them to three championships in six seasons.
                  Patrick Roy after the fight.

                  Last edited by TimD; 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM.
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The best hockey game for me was when Primeau scored the goal in like the 4th ot that was sick
                    Originally posted by nvot9
                    I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

                    Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                    Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                    Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                    Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                    Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know who to cheer for on this game

                      on one hand, I hate Detriot (and yes its for the season reason I hatet he Patriots, they are too good)

                      and on the other, I despised Colorado then because Roy is a huge douchebag

                      meh, its a toss up
                      Gamertag: OnABoat16 (Games: NCAA 10, NHL 10, Tiger Woods 10)

                      Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                      Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
                      Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
                      A fan of the USF Bulls

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Canadian_kid16 View Post
                        I don't know who to cheer for on this game

                        on one hand, I hate Detriot (and yes its for the season reason I hatet he Patriots, they are too good)

                        and on the other, I despised Colorado then because Roy is a huge douchebag

                        meh, its a toss up
                        That shot on Lemieux was definitely cheap. Plus Keith Jones played for Colorado at the time so if they replayed it now with the same players. I would have to pull for my boy Jonesy
                        Originally posted by nvot9
                        I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

                        Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                        Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                        Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                        Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                        Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hockey hasn't folded over, yet? I give it 3 more years........

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I will always ******* hate the Colorado Avalanche.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://detroitsportssnobs.blogspot.c...ary-brawl.html

                              Nice little write up there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information