Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Students

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I didn't go back to college after a couple years, and people are always wonder whats wrong with me. The question that I love being asked when someone finds out I don't want to continue my "higher education" is....

    "Don't you want to be successful?"

    .....

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by duckseason View Post
      Like pigs at a trough. I'd rather trot my ass out to the woods and sniff out truffles.
      Anything to get off the farm before the man decides he needs bacon.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
        I didn't go back to college after a couple years, and people are always wonder whats wrong with me. The question that I love being asked when someone finds out I don't want to continue my "higher education" is....

        "Don't you want to be successful?"

        .....
        you cant because you're mexican?

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by DChess View Post
          you cant because you're mexican?
          Oh, my bad. It all makes sense now.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
            Oh, my bad. It all makes sense now.
            that was via snuff.

            Comment


            • #51
              Duck season, you wrote some thoroughly written interesting posts. However, I cannot say that I agree with you completely.

              It's easy to say that it's more worth while to venture into the business world without paying for college tuition and taking courses for 4 years, but starting a business requires HARD WORK and MONEY. You may not work for others, but you could end up working yourself to the ground. According to statistics on small businesses, a minimum of $50,000 is needed to start a sole proprietorship/partnership. That's not small cash. Not to mention, working for a corporation has advantages, especially when it comes to liability.

              Also, college is not too much of a financial waste as you seem to connote if you simply apply for some financial aid and obtain some scholarship money. Many people, myself included, also have part time jobs and/or internships during their collegiate career, therefore along with education, students can still experience the "real world" of business.

              Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be talking about how college is a waste if you're trying to be an entrepreneur... which is somewhat understandable. Taking a class in entrepreneurship is pretty stupid if you ask me. However, other professions in my opinion will be much better off with degree in hand such as finance, law, architecture, engineering, etc.

              Projected win total: 55+

              Comment


              • #52
                This is what I've learned:

                College is a Catch-22. Employers want you to have a college degree yet they also want experience and you can not get both. It's either one or the other.

                College is more about networking than it is about learning in the classroom. The contacts and friends you make in college will become highly beneficial down the road. It is a time in your life that you build your communication and social skills, which will help you tremendously in the professional world.

                Grades are important. I have graduated already and when I apply for a job the interviewer always asks me what my GPA was when I graduated. I graduated with a 2.5 and have been passed over by people whose GPA was higher than mine even though we had the same qualifications. It is because employers feel that the person who made the higher marks in college will help the company out more. Whether or not that is true is not up to me but it happens. Since grades are important so is studying. The two go hand in hand.

                Make the acquaintance of your professors so that they will write you good recommendation letters. This is extremely beneficial in the professional world. I can not stress it enough.

                One ply toilet paper is the toilet paper manufacturers idea of a joke.

                When you go to a restaurant order more than you can eat so you can have two meals for one price. Eat as much free food as possible. Mexican restaurants are the best because you receiver free chips and salsa and then can take your meal home.

                Campus activities are dumb and pointless.

                The school newspaper is a propaganda rag for the university. Mine is at least.

                Just because you are friend with someone does not mean you can live with them. I found this out the hard way.

                Have an idea of what you want to major in before you come to college. Stick to your guns too when you get in college and complete your coursework for that major. History, English, Psychology, Political Science, Geography, and Sociology are worthless majors unless you either want to teach (if you do then do a concentration in Education) or if you want to get your master's.

                I could go on for a long time.
                Last edited by diabsoule; 09-26-2007, 04:34 AM.

                Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

                Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Namy View Post
                  Duck season, you wrote some thoroughly written interesting posts. However, I cannot say that I agree with you completely.

                  It's easy to say that it's more worth while to venture into the business world without paying for college tuition and taking courses for 4 years, but starting a business requires HARD WORK and MONEY. You may not work for others, but you could end up working yourself to the ground. According to statistics on small businesses, a minimum of $50,000 is needed to start a sole proprietorship/partnership. That's not small cash. Not to mention, working for a corporation has advantages, especially when it comes to liability.
                  Keep in mind that time is far more valuable than money. The colossal investment of time that is required to get a worthwhile degree is a far greater sacrifice than anything monetary. Also, keep in mind that I am not speaking exclusively of starting a traditional business in place of attending college. That is but one of innumerable avenues one might take. The crux of my stance here is that you can feed your brain much more efficiently if you avoid the constrictive environment of conventional schooling. You cram too many plants into the same greenhouse and feed them light and nutrients from the exact same source, and not only will there be a low cap on growth potential, but you'll see a bunch of nearly identical plants. I believe that people would be wise to take great care in choosing the ideal environment where than can truly thrive. For some, that may be college. It all depends on your individual goals and perceptions. For me, the choice is obvious. Attending conventional school is a tremendous waste of time and effort that would actually impede my development. I attend 'school' daily. My learning process is perpetual. I don't need anybody to spoon-feed me what they think I ought to know. Not only do I already have access to that bowl of cereal they're holding, but I'm also perfectly capable choosing when and where to eat it and whether or not I want cow milk, yogurt, soy milk, or just some crunch. I can also choose to throw it in the trash without a second thought. But if it were the only form of sustenance sitting in front of me, I really wouldn't have much choice but to open wide.

                  Originally posted by Namy View Post
                  Also, college is not too much of a financial waste as you seem to connote if you simply apply for some financial aid and obtain some scholarship money. Many people, myself included, also have part time jobs and/or internships during their collegiate career, therefore along with education, students can still experience the "real world" of business.
                  I've addressed the whole financial thing above, but I will say that no matter who pays the tab for a $100 bowl of campbell's soup at a stuffy diner, it was wasteful. You can find that stuff for a buck at your local grocery store. I wouldn't ask a friend to fly me to France just so I could see what a vineyard looks like. Not when we have them right here in our backyard. Just think of all that time and effort that went toward keeping yourself afloat while vying with millions of others to see who's certificate would come out with more sparkles. What do most people have to show for it? A lifetime of working hard for that next raise? Being tied to the leash that most jobs come with? Spending 1/3 to 1/2 of each day in the same place day after day? And often times, extending that time by not being able to mentally escape? Like I said, most people are fighting tooth and nail to run into that rat-cage before the door slams shut. Little do they know, it'll never shut. It'll just always be clogged up with far too many people seeking entrance. All trying to get their turn at the spinning wheel that is a symbol of their future. Running as hard as they can in hopes that their efforts will bring them slightly greater rewards with each passing year. Sadly, most of these people will wear themselves out and soon grow tired of the monotony. They'll feel under appreciated and unhappy. They may even wake up one day and in a moment of clarity, look around themselves and ask where the years have gone and what they have to show for it. Most will wish they had more time to spend with their families and do the things they truly love. Most people will yearn for freedom more than anything else. But they still don't have it. Most people who take the employee route exclusively will never feel as though they have enough freedom. This is why I believe the best route to take in life is the one that most quickly leads to financial freedom. I believe that conventional schooling is an impedance on this path, more so than it is an expressway. Of all the roads I could take, College would be among the last I would consider.

                  Originally posted by Namy View Post
                  Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be talking about how college is a waste if you're trying to be an entrepreneur... which is somewhat understandable. Taking a class in entrepreneurship is pretty stupid if you ask me. However, other professions in my opinion will be much better off with degree in hand such as finance, law, architecture, engineering, etc.
                  I agree. And I stated such. Many professions will require you to obtain credentials through conventional schooling. If you want to be a doctor, you better hit those books. And we need doctors. Call it being an entrepreneur or whatever you want, but it covers innumerable avenues. Once a person steps outside that box of rigidity, there are countless means that lead to the ends we all seek and need for survival. The people who find the path of least resistance are the ones who will naturally arrive most expeditiously. Which in my opinion, is what it's all about. I want to be happy. Take me there now. Running through a maze is not only unnecessary, but you'll often come out of it too dizzy to enjoy yourself.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    I wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library - Will

                    Also, I learned to hate metrosexuals ...... more.

                    What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                    they get smoked.

                    2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                    Hint:Not the Bears.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      You make some interesting THEORETICAL points duckseason, but I would love to see some of those put into practice.

                      What job have you managed to land without the aid of a college degree? What job/business are you hoping to open? How are you putting food on the table right now? Shelter over your head?

                      Same question goes to everybody else who believes college is a waste of time...

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by yodachu View Post
                        To close the blinds and lock the door while mastebading.
                        ha i learned that in 9th grade

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Addict View Post
                          oh and something else I learned in college: women have RIGHTS, who knew?
                          Originally posted by Addict View Post
                          I don't know, they seemed normal enough at first, but... boy they were some crazy folks down there I tell ya. The women actually were allowed to teach, and they got to walk around without a ball and chain. Men actually LISTENED to them when they spoke too. Worst thing is, I can't be sure, but I'm faily sure I saw a woman DRIVING A CAR! Freaky stuff.
                          I'm calling BS....that can't be true......

                          __________________________________________________ ______

                          I learned...........fat women give better BJs than hot women........

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by alca1992 View Post
                            ha i learned that in 9th grade
                            I'm so proud of you, you're already mastebading on a college level. Good Job, sport.......

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                              Just because you are friend with someone does not mean you can live with them. I found this out the hard way.

                              Have an idea of what you want to major in before you come to college. Stick to your guns too when you get in college and complete your coursework for that major. History, English, Psychology, Political Science, Geography, and Sociology are worthless majors unless you either want to teach (if you do then do a concentration in Education) or if you want to get your master's.
                              These are two interesting ones. The first one is dead on. And unfortunately, there's not a way to figure out wether you're going to be able to live with someone until you do, because things don't get bad (usually) until a month or two in when the honeymoon is over. My best year in college as far as roommates go was when I went with complete strangers. Those guys are still good friends of mine.

                              The whole discussion of majors and what they're worth is interesting to me. The more specific your major (Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math, etc.) the more money you can make coming out of college. If that is the point of you going to college, then forget about most liberal arts and history degrees as diabsoule suggests.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
                                I learned...........fat women give better BJs than hot women........
                                it's the habit of putting large loads in their mouths that makes the difference.

                                Sig by Fenikz

                                I remember NFLDC
                                don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information