College Students

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by njx9
    just connect. they can't be blocking all the ports.
    me and snuff tried tons of proxys, with crazy ass ports, like 197.

Comment

• So in response to njx's deal with worthless degrees. Here's my take. If you're going to college, these days, the point is to make more money in life. Not everyone, but most people. So with that in mind, I present this. It's a study in 2004, but I'm sure the results haven't shifted much in a direction that would fail to make my point. Yes, you can get a job with basically any degree, because a degree is an automatic foot in the door. But in some cases that job will be teaching English to 6th graders for 30 grand a year (in Texas).

Comment

• Originally posted by SubNoize View Post
        Well nobody really answered your question, so I'll go. My whole life I was force fed that without a college degree that I would have to earn less. Of course, people also preached hard work in high school to get into a better university. I did fairly well in High School with as much minimal work as possible. I self taught frequently via reading and television and never did homework. I would show up, drone out and ace tests to earn my grades. I graduated high school with absolutely no intention of going to college. Instead I decided to hit the work force immediatley. I spent countless hours my first 2 years working meaningless jobs and living paycheck to paycheck. I then decided that I was going to place myself in a field that had good earning potential and that would allow me to progress quickly. I ended up getting hired at Alltel Wireless as a sales representative. I quickly observed the other employees just go through motions and spend too much time doing nothing. I on the other hand took easy steps such as flyering to businesses with "specials" via email, and just talking to people outside of the job casually about who I was and what I did. Within 2 months I was promoted to Manager. I was already making 60,000 salary 2 years out of high school with no degree. I continued to work smarter and not harder and was again promoted to Area manager earning 100,000 a year. I was then able to invest my money into creating a car detailing business that came out to your home. With the people in my area being so lazy as to not mowing their own lawn, my venture exploded earning me an extra 70,000 a year after covering all overhead. I kept my Alltel job, I did a minimal amount of work yet again, but worked smart by teaching my area what I once had done and was promoted to area president. I now make 250,000 thousand because my stores do amazingly by working less and earning more.I was able to cut out 80,000 worth of mass advertising and was able to completely guerilla market for less than half the cost. I still have my detailing business which i was able to expand and that now makes me about 150,000 a year. Do the math that's 400,000 a year, no college education and I'm freshly 22 years old. Life is all about how bad you want it, and what avenues you take to get there. I decided to work less, but cover more ground and it payed off in only 4 years of leaving high school.
        That's a great story. My point is that getting a college degree is not going to stop you from doing amazing things like you did. The difference is that they would start in the middle instead of the bottom. Also, in many businesses, it would be a requirement to even get into a low level job or to be promoted higher. Obviously you picked a career where that is not necessary, but there are many that require degrees.

Sounds like you're doing amazingly well for a 22 year old. I hope you have continued success and keep building wealth and happiness. Out of curiosity, what area do you manage for Alltel?

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
          sure, but keep in mind, a lot of kids get to school and pick up, say, english, with the sole intention of teaching. there's nothing wrong with that. but for someone to assume that the liberal arts degree is worthless just because you can "only" become a teacher is silly and completely untrue, whether or not the majority of those people do choose to become teachers.

so while the averages may be skewed towards the engineering jobs, i don't buy that that's a statement of value on those degrees over other degrees, as much as it is a statement on what's important to most of the graduates with those degrees.
          I would have to disagree with that. I have rarely heard of liberal arts majors making more money than biz/engineering majors out of school, and it's not for lack of trying.

Comment

• Originally posted by DChess View Post
            i would if i could
            IM me, i know how to. you just need to quit being a wuss about it.
            snuff knows nothing
            http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
            For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

• Don't fart in the elevator.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moses View Post
                That's a great story. My point is that getting a college degree is not going to stop you from doing amazing things like you did. The difference is that they would start in the middle instead of the bottom. Also, in many businesses, it would be a requirement to even get into a low level job or to be promoted higher. Obviously you picked a career where that is not necessary, but there are many that require degrees.

Sounds like you're doing amazingly well for a 22 year old. I hope you have continued success and keep building wealth and happiness. Out of curiosity, what area do you manage for Alltel?
                I overlook the South West for an Alltel premier dealer,which is as close to Alltel corporate as possible. It includes Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and West Texas and for some reason I'll also be getting Oregon. We piggy back off of a lot of corporate advertising, but I found that cutting out our own print and radio advertisement allowed for us to do a lot more guerilla marketing, which has been much more successful. You're right in saying that a college degree works for most, but you asked for a success story from somebody who was opposed to higher learning, and I gave you mine, which trust me I know is a one in a million chance, but if you can stay persistent and work smarter it's attainable.

Comment

• Originally posted by duckseason View Post
                  Haha, very nice. Yeah I don't give a damn what you say about anybody, to be clear. Just always found it funny when people do that. I do it myself with regularity.
                  yes. big pet peeve of mine.

i also enjoy it when people say; "not to be racist but...i just don't like minorities."

OR, when people think they can justify anything they do by saying, "I'm the kind of person that...."

really, "I'm the kind of person that just likes to run over puppies."

Well, that makes you an asshole.

Comment

• Originally posted by drowe View Post
                    yes. big pet peeve of mine.

i also enjoy it when people say; "not to be racist but...i just don't like minorities."

OR, when people think they can justify anything they do by saying, "I'm the kind of person that...."

really, "I'm the kind of person that just likes to run over puppies."

Well, that makes you an asshole.
                    "You're an idiot, no offence..."

I was going to be offended, but since you said "no offence", it's OK now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubNoize View Post
                      I overlook the South West for an Alltel premier dealer,which is as close to Alltel corporate as possible. It includes Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and West Texas and for some reason I'll also be getting Oregon. We piggy back off of a lot of corporate advertising, but I found that cutting out our own print and radio advertisement allowed for us to do a lot more guerilla marketing, which has been much more successful. You're right in saying that a college degree works for most, but you asked for a success story from somebody who was opposed to higher learning, and I gave you mine, which trust me I know is a one in a million chance, but if you can stay persistent and work smarter it's attainable.
                      I'm surprised that Alltel would give so much responsibility to a young person like yourself. You must have really blown their socks off to get promoted that quickly. Also, when you moved up the ranks, what happened to the people who previously held those positions?

Comment

• Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
                        IM me, i know how to. you just need to quit being a wuss about it.
                        snuff knows nothing
                        you better not let me down, ill im you tonight

Comment

• Originally posted by Moses View Post
                          I'm surprised that Alltel would give so much responsibility to a young person like yourself. You must have really blown their socks off to get promoted that quickly. Also, when you moved up the ranks, what happened to the people who previously held those positions?
                          Well like I said, I work for a premier dealer of alltel. We're only a few years old and the position I currently hold was abrand new position, so I'm the first to hold it. They say it's area president but it's more like a director of sales for my area. I coordinate a lot of business deals and oversee the marketing and sales tactics. The person who I replaced as just Area manager, which was like AZ state manager was released for fraud. When I moved up to store manger it was a brand new store. I've only replaced one person and been given a lot of new opportunities because I'm able to manage assests very well and I'm very business driven.

Comment

• About going away to college, how did everybody adapt to not being at home and missing thier parents and so on, was it a hard transition?

Comment

• What jobs can you get right away, other than being a teacher can you get from an english major?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eaglez.Fan View Post
                                What jobs can you get right away, other than being a teacher can you get from an english major?
                                You can be a publishing editor

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information