No announcement yet.

Television Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Blood last night was pretty lousy.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• I was of the same mind. I thought that the episode was entirely set-up for the next few, which I expect to kick all kinds of ass. It was pretty slow. And where the hell did Alcide go? Isnt he a huge part of the books?
      Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
      The APS is strong in this one.
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post
        The old man from Pawn Stars is awesome they should have a show just on him giving his two cents on stuff I would so watch.
        Always wondered about Pawn Stars, they seem to be doing really really well in a business noted for operating on very thin profit margins but in a down economy a lot of people pawn & sell things there that they wouldnt otherwise. It's pretty contrived too, they set up obviously hostile situations between the family members who can't make it seem believable (b/c they're not actors, I know), like Big Hoss always spending megabucks on something that seems high risk like the wrecked helicopter & getting an asschewing from Dad & Granddad, & the too many fat jokes & one-liner smartass remarks from Hoss' fat friend, he's just not that smart or witty so they're written for him by the HC writing staff. BTW I always thought the Harrison family & employees in the Vegas pawn shop wore all black to intimidate their customers. One of the best moments was when that jerk brought in the grenade (still live? oh ****!) & Rick Harrison got a menacing & coldblooded expression on his face in split second & told him "Get that thing out of my store," that one didn't seem rehearsed at all. When disappointed customers walk off pissed off b/c they can't get their price that seems genuine.

More fascinating to me is the similar History Channel show American Pickers, they seem much more genuine & sincere. All their visits are prearranged, the peole they're picking from all have to sign something allowing them to appear on camera with teh History Channel. Love their picker jargon too, like "honey hole," & all the interesting detailed trivia about the collectibles on which these pros are authorities, not just collectors themselves. They are operating on a thinner margin than a Vegas pawn shop.

Best hook in both shows is the negotiating by Harrison & Wolfe & Frank with customers, you can tell they're pros & running bottom line-driven cash businesses, when the $ comes out that's when you see their edges shine on camera with the tension there.
        Last edited by LizardState; 08-24-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Ok, I was a week behind in True Blood and finally watched Russell's epic news take over. That is easily the best 3 minutes of television I've seen in a long time.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

• totally forgot there was a True Blood episode this week because of work. I love **** like that.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I just started watching Pawn Stars about a week ago. Became hooked pretty damn quickly. I'm watching it as I type this. haha. Great show.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
              KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                totally forgot there was a True Blood episode this week because of work. I love **** like that.
                Might as well just skip it and read the cliff notes from it. The Sam flashbacks were the dumbest thing the show has ever done, and that is saying something.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  I just started watching Pawn Stars about a week ago. Became hooked pretty damn quickly. I'm watching it as I type this. haha. Great show.
                  Ya, it's addicting.

Comment

Ya, it's addicting.
                    No joke. And they put like 7 epsiodes in a row on. I watched everyone that was on today.
                    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-23-2010, 07:46 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• If you haven't gave American Pickers a chance you might like it as well, it kinda has the same vibe, obviously the biggest difference being they go looking for stuff and instead of people bringing stuff to them

Comment

• Yeah I'll check it out...i saw the promos for it. The taller guy seems like an a-hole...but i've never seen it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          Yeah I'll check it out...i saw the promos for it. The taller guy seems like an a-hole...but i've never seen it.
                          He can kinda come across as a know it all at times but you could say the same thing about Rick on Pawn Stars, I like Pawn Stars better but enjoy both shows.

Comment

If you haven't gave American Pickers a chance you might like it as well, it kinda has the same vibe, obviously the biggest difference being they go looking for stuff and instead of people bringing stuff to them
                            My dad hates that show. He says all the time that he is surprised the district attorney that is in the area where they shoot doesnt press legal action. If you notice, they almost always go to the elderly's homes and try to buy stuff from them when they dont know the value. In Pawn Stars they are actually looking to sell the item and know what is coming.

Comment

He can kinda come across as a know it all at times but you could say the same thing about Rick on Pawn Stars, I like Pawn Stars better but enjoy both shows.
                              I like Rick on Pawn Stars. He is the one guy that seems to really know a lot of the stuff. Chumlee is still the best though. :)

Comment

• Ya this weeks True Blood was really uneventful. But I honestly wasnt surprised at all, the last episode and the season overall has been so good that I knew a let down episode was going to be coming. Im hoping that theyve done and got that out of the way for the season and pure awesomeness is back on hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information