Television Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brodeur View Post
    Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead and Walking Dead would all like a word.

It was presented in a similar fashion but it still felt different because of the terrific production values and acting.
    You forgot evil dead, which is awesomeness ( Technically they're zombies) and yes it was well acted, the blood splats looked pretty lame imo, but again I feel like they have so much room to do something different and new. I'm sure it will get better, and I'll watch the next few episodes. If i dont care for them I wont comment as to not upset you guys haha. I hope this means we can give this a second shot Brody.

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by vidae View Post
      I love the Gin Blossoms.

Yeah. I'm that guy.
      Originally posted by Brent View Post
      hey jealousy

I love that song!

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Who honestly does not at least "enjoy listening to" the Gin Blossoms? They're horribly underrated. I had to miss going to a free Gin Blossoms show recently because the girl I was seeing at the time was going with her friends. Would have been a good time.
        Last edited by nepg; 11-01-2010, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twiddler View Post
          Does that include Mumford and Sons? Just out of curiousity, as I love the band, but know little about the scene itself.
          Yar.

Noah and the Whale, Laura Marling, Johnny Flynn, Jay Jay Pistolet are some other "big names".
          Last edited by nepg; 11-01-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
            You forgot evil dead, which is awesomeness ( Technically they're zombies) and yes it was well acted, the blood splats looked pretty lame imo, but again I feel like they have so much room to do something different and new. I'm sure it will get better, and I'll watch the next few episodes. If i dont care for them I wont comment as to not upset you guys haha. I hope this means we can give this a second shot Brody.
            The pilot was still goddamn amazing, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

It wasnt great compared to every zombie movie out there I'm sorry. I love zombies, but it offered nothing new. I'm willing to keep watching to see how it goes, I think a tv series can do more with the idea considering it has multiple hours to tell it's story, but so far I wasnt impressed.
              The Walking Dead is going to be completely different than zombie movies. Zombie movies being with "oh **** zombies" and end with "oh ****, I have a shotgun/rocket launcher/flamethrower/safehouse/chunk missing from my arm". There's a really short arc going on there.

The Walking Dead is all about the human relationships that develop over the long term survival of a zombie apocalypse. The comic books had some pretty interesting dynamics and some really cool story lines, so I hold out hope. Just don't expect it to devolve into Ving Rhames and a shotgun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                The Walking Dead is going to be completely different than zombie movies. Zombie movies being with "oh **** zombies" and end with "oh ****, I have a shotgun/rocket launcher/flamethrower/safehouse/chunk missing from my arm". There's a really short arc going on there.

The Walking Dead is all about the human relationships that develop over the long term survival of a zombie apocalypse. The comic books had some pretty interesting dynamics and some really cool story lines, so I hold out hope. Just don't expect it to devolve into Ving Rhames and a shotgun.
                And I certainly dont, that wasnt my problem at all with it, I want to see something different. I actually look forward to seeing how the characters evolve and how things shape out having more time to tell a story. My problem was everything that happened had nothing but a been there done that feeling.

Originally posted by WMD
                Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                Originally posted by gpngc
                I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  hey jealousy
                  Hey Jealous, Found Out About You, Follow You Down, Allison Road, Till I Hear It From You.. all have a normal rotation on my playlists!

Ahem, anyways, back to TV..

Originally posted by Job View Post
                  When will everyone realize zombies just suck?
                  Oh Job. Oh no oh no.

Originally posted by fenikz
                  His soft D really turns me off
                  ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

My problem was everything that happened had nothing but a been there done that feeling.
                    It's zombies. It's a beaten path. I'd rather have classic zombies than some new-agey ******** like Twilight did to make vampires "new". Yes, the main character woke up in a hospital having missed the apocalypse, just like in 28 Days Later (which is itself a reference to the 1950's book The Day of the Triffids, which has nothing to do with zombies anyway), but whatever, it's such a strong lead-in to disaster storylines. I didn't love the cg blood, but for a show that figures to have a lot of blood, doing live blood shots would become unwieldy and basically impossible.

This is a show that will show it's strength on continuity rather than shock, so I have high hopes.

Comment

• I haven't seen the pilot of "Walking Dead" yet.

I gotta check it out.

Comment

• Re-watching Arrested Development yet again, and I always forget how unbelievably ******* gorgeous the first Marta was.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

• Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Job
                          Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead and Walking Dead would all like a word.
                          Zombies are just a tad overdone, no pun intended. The timing of Walking Dead makes it seem like a bandwagon jumping zombiefest, but he graphic novel origins make it worth a look.

Dawn of the Dead was more than Rhames & his standard badass attitude with his shotgun, it had the Revelations quote read by Johnny Cash in his doomstruck voice & Sarah Polley's mass-marketed mammaries (those always a big seller).... best scene was taking out celebrity lookalike zombies from the mall rooftop with the sniper rifle, can't take it too seriously, good times.

Edit: finally saw the full premiere episode of Walking Dead on 11/2, Day of the Dead appropriately, I had thought they stole the intro from 28 Days Later (waking from a coma in hospital to a zombie world) but was really surprised so I have to give kudos to the producer (who did Terminator) & the obviously big budget where they max use of the 1,000 or os huge cast (no CG here) that gave it an authentic look & feel. Also the protag actor, Andrew Lincoln, is English but does a flawless Georgia accent.... his real name is -- no kidding -- Andrew Clutterbuck -- & he's wired into Jethro Tull, the rock group, married to frontman Ian Anderson's daughter. The series is complex & well directed enough to gather an audience IMO even in the mandated late Sunday night timeslot b/c of its graphic gore & violence.
                          Last edited by LizardState; 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Job View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                              Zombies are just a tad overdone, no pun intended. The timing of Walking Dead makes it seem like a bandwagon jumping zombiefest, but he graphic novel origins make it worth a look.

Dawn of the Dead was more than Rhames & his standard badass attitude with his shotgun, it had the Revelations quote read by Johnny Cash in his doomstruck voice & Sarah Polley's mass-marketed mammaries (those always a big seller).... best scene was taking out celebrity lookalike zombies from the mall rooftop with the sniper rifle, can't take it too seriously, good times.
                              I really don't think it's that overdone, tbh. How many zombie movies come out a year? One? If that.

If you want to talk overdone then I see that more as super hero movies, vampire movies, and crappy horror movies.

Plus it's being done in a relatively new format: TV. I don't think there have been many TV shows about zombies. To me this is ideal. Like PMD said, we're so use to the movie format where there is little time for character development and little time for day to day survival elements, which I think is one of the coolest elements to the entire "zombie apocalypse" idea.

I don't want to ruin anything so..

(shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Mexico or Portugal!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information