• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Wright
    started a topic Laptop Recommendations

Laptop Recommendations

Hey,

I might be in the market for a new laptop in the near future and am just starting to do a little research. I don't want anything too slow so that it's a pain to use and would like to get something somewhat comparable to my desktop (Intel Core 2 2.40 GHz, 2GB RAM).

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Scott Wright
    replied
    Originally posted by vatech=accdomination View Post
    do not get a gateway, they are pieces. there is a reason it has the most for the least amount.
    I have to say I've had excellent experiences with my Gateways. My last two desktops and my current laptop are all Gateways and I've never had a problem with them...

Leave a comment:

• thule
    replied
    Just something to look at if you just want a new computer that will do everything you need..you might want to check out the local wal-mart today....

A good deal on a cheap laptop.

"Secret" Sale Friday at 8 a.m. $348 OTD Acer Celeron 530 Laptop 15.4"/1GB RAM/80GB HD/DVD Combo at Wal-Mart B&M

The specs:
    Model AS5315-2153
    Acer Aspire Celeron 530 (one of the new ones based on Core 2 Duo architecture - this isn't a clearance laptop!)
    80 GB HD
    6.17 lbs.
    15.4" WXGA widescreen
    802.11b/g Wireless
    1024 MB DDR2 RAM
    DVD/CD combo drive
    Windows Vista Basic
    3 USB ports
    960GML Chipset
    Integrated Intel X3100 GMA graphics

Leave a comment:

• vatech=accdomination
    replied
    do not get a gateway, they are pieces. there is a reason it has the most for the least amount.

Leave a comment:

• brat316
    replied
    take the deal Scott and run with it

Leave a comment:

• Moses
    replied
    Originally posted by thule View Post
    This is the one you want imo....number one rated laptop by cnet.com. Toshiba's are the current best laptops on the market. Basically gives you everything you want in your deal and then some...definately check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...activeda686-20
    That's definitely a nice setup.

Leave a comment:

• thule
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
    So far I have been mainly concentrating on Gateway's and Dell's but have a problem with each. On Gateway you can't get a processor over 2GHz on any of their models and with Dell you can but it's pretty darn expensive. In a perfect world I thnk I'd like to get a Dell M1710 (powerful, looks cool, etc.) but whenver I modify with with the configuration I want it ends up being well over $3k ($3,716 to be exact with warranty, etc.), which is more than I'm looking to drop.
    This is the one you want imo....number one rated laptop by cnet.com. Toshiba's are the current best laptops on the market. Basically gives you everything you want in your deal and then some...definately check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...activeda686-20

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Stop looking at GHZ and start looking at L2 Cache and Cores. Much bigger difference than 200mhz...

Leave a comment:

• Moses
    replied
    Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
    Im pretty sure HP uses their own parts. I remember hearing that the mother board and a bunch of other parts are all there's. Just saying.
    Sure, the motherboard is about the only component that would be made by the laptop company. Even then, it doesn't make it any better.

Leave a comment:

• brat316
    replied
    Lenevo go with them, avoid Dells at least insperions

Leave a comment:

• Scott Wright
    replied
    So far I have been mainly concentrating on Gateway's and Dell's but have a problem with each. On Gateway you can't get a processor over 2GHz on any of their models and with Dell you can but it's pretty darn expensive. In a perfect world I thnk I'd like to get a Dell M1710 (powerful, looks cool, etc.) but whenver I modify with with the configuration I want it ends up being well over $3k ($3,716 to be exact with warranty, etc.), which is more than I'm looking to drop.

Leave a comment:

• Billingsley26
    replied
    Originally posted by Moses View Post
    What laptop company doesn't use "outside parts"?

IBM doesn't make laptops. Their laptop division was purchased by Lenovo years ago.
    Im pretty sure HP uses their own parts. I remember hearing that the mother board and a bunch of other parts are all there's. Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• thule
    replied
    As far as top of the line products...which you seem to be looking for I have a couple of options. But I have a question for you...since you have a desktop you like would you want a easily portable laptop. I would assume that would be ideal..basically you lose some gaming capabilities and the screen size isn't going to be great for movies. But there are some really good products in that range right now.

Dell XPS M1330 - would probably be my person pick
    Lenovo ThinkPad X61s - probably gives you a little better overall performance
    Fujitsu LifeBook S2210 - the best performance wise..battery life isn't as good

If portability isn't a big problem for you definately go
    Toshiba Qosmio G45-AV680 (Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Vista Ultimate)
    basically top of the line laptop out...#1 rated on Cnet in your price range.

Leave a comment:

• Number 10
    replied
    Toshiba has been making the best ;aptops over the past few years...just recently bought a Satellite A215-S4757

It has been great so far...no complaints with Vista

Leave a comment:

• VoteLynnSwan
    replied
    my school gives us HPs, and yea for the stuff you are looking to use it for, it works very well.

Gaming... ? not so great...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information