Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is why we don't need Political/Religion debate here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Shiver
    If I was convinced that it wouldn't devolve into pointless, waste of everyone's time, heated, banter, then sure it would be alright. That's the problem. I have seen other forums allow these types of discussions before. It is impossible to keep it from becoming a flame war.
    I don't see what makes political discussion pointless and a waste of time and discussing the 40-time of some NFL prospect a great and meaningful conversation. In one someone might actually recieve some education on something directly affecting them (or that they directly affect).

    Intelligent discussion of contreversial topics is not as impossible as you think.

    Comment


    • #32
      as random as i may be i'd like to discuss the upcoming presidential elections. someone needs to represent dennis kucinich. :o

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        Originally posted by Shiver
        If I was convinced that it wouldn't devolve into pointless, waste of everyone's time, heated, banter, then sure it would be alright. That's the problem. I have seen other forums allow these types of discussions before. It is impossible to keep it from becoming a flame war.
        I don't see what makes political discussion pointless and a waste of time and discussing the 40-time of some NFL prospect a great and meaningful conversation. In one someone might actually recieve some education on something directly affecting them (or that they directly affect).
        Then why is this a football sire. I, and others, didn't come here for great, meaningful, soul searching, type discussions. Can it be done? Sure, but as mentioned, it has been tried here before with less than desirable results.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Shiver
          Then why is this a football forum. I didn't come here for great, meaningful, soul searching, type discussions. Can it be done? Sure, but as mentioned, it has been tried here before.
          Like I said, I absolutely respect the decision to not want to deal with the whole thing, but I do think it can be done.

          Comment


          • #35
            Well, I think a few posters here could respectfully discuss things. I just don't trust the masses, in regards to the 'timeless' debates.

            Comment


            • #36
              Have you ever read any of the Ran-dumb Discussion thread? That's why lucid conservation cannot be achieved on this site.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Shiver
                Well, I think a few posters here could respectfully discuss things. I just don't trust the masses, in regards to the 'timeless' debates.
                I think that laying down strict rules for such discussion would tend to limit the participation to those who actually have something to say.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Don't get me wrong, I am not into the elitist "membership only" boards. I am just saying, if more people were more responsible, mature, intelligent, I wouldn't mind it. I am sure no one else would either.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Shiver
                    Don't get me wrong, I am not into the elitist "membership only" boards. I am just saying, if more people were more responsible, mature, intelligent, I wouldn't mind it. I am sure no one else would either.
                    Well, I think that such an environment can be grown through example, but that's not to say it isn't a solid amount of work.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      The only reason I started this thread, is one, it was coming up with the Tim Hardaway mess. But, primarily, I just thought that fake newspaper article was hilarious.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I don't like the idea of having political discussions because of flame wars, mainly. It's one thing to flame about the draft, but when you flame about politics and religion, it kind of clouds your perception about others, if you will.

                        by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen
                        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I like to debate it, because the art of debate naturally makes you investigate your own beliefs much more thoroughly.
                          True, but the art of flame war hardens your beliefs. And only a thin line lies in between.

                          BTW, that article is pretty funny.

                          by BoneKrusher
                          <DG> how metal unseen
                          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by frogstomp
                            Originally posted by njx9
                            Originally posted by frogstomp
                            I just want a political thread for when people make off-base, untrue, and essentially propaganda type posts.

                            Those bother me, and I would like to be able to say why, and what was wrong.
                            there's nothing wrong with my opinion of canada.
                            No, but your posts about the WWF are just wrong!
                            fair enough.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Shiver
                              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ


                              That's funny.

                              I always wondered how people got into politics then bam I hit college.... Now I know why.
                              Unless opening a religion/politics forum would lead to that end, solving all the world's differences, then it would just be a colossal waste of time. Especially when most have educated themselves, and have made their own personal decisions on what to believe in, what not to believe in, politically, scientifically, religiously.
                              Most haven't educated themself, thats the problem. Now that is all I am going to say so I don't get banned.

                              In regards to the flame part, am I the only one who doesn't look at who said what unless it is actually a very good post? Especially when someone changes their avatar, it makes me think its a completely different person.
                              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                And Paranoid, I encourage you to debate these things on boards devoted to such. This is devoted to sports, and anything like that is allowed.

                                Initially, it wasn't restricted, and as I mentioned before, people abused it. It is completely Scott's call and he has made his call. That is the way the rule goes. Whether some of us disagree and would like to debate this, we will have to do it in private.


                                Follow Me on Twitter!
                                https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information