Originally posted by Damix
    Originally posted by Xiomera
    Originally posted by draftguru151
    New question, derivative of y=x^x^x.
    Infinity
    It's some terrible thing, something like x^x^x*ln(x^x^x)* some more awful stuff.
    Its actually x^(x^x+x-1) * (x*(lnx)^2+x*lnx+1)
    You know, the only reason I ever started coming to these boards was to escape the horrors of calculus . . . and now you have ruined that for me. Thanks so much. :evil:
    I was bored for a minute
    Were you one of the guys that used to help me with calc?
    I doubt it.

Comment

New riddle, very simple and plain

You have 9 marbles, they all look the same and weigh the same except one marble slightly weighs more than all the rest, but you can't tell the difference by looking at it. You have a scale, and you are only allowed to use it twice to find out which marble weighs more. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan3

You have 9 marbles, they all look the same and weigh the same except one marble slightly weighs more than all the rest, but you can't tell the difference by looking at it. You have a scale, and you are only allowed to use it twice to find out which marble weighs more. WHAT DO YOU DO?
        I know for a fact that there was a thread devoted to this riddle some months ago...

Comment

Originally posted by ny10804

I know for a fact that there was a thread devoted to this riddle some months ago...
          Well it wasn't me, now figure it out! :evil:

Comment

I think it is supposed to be 8 marbles, or at the version I know consists of 8 marbles.

Comment

Weigh the first 3 against the 2nd 3, if they are equal then the heaviest one is in the 3rd group, if one comes up heavier, you know the heavier one is in that group.

Once you have it down to 3, pick 2 and then weigh them against each other, if they are equal then the 3rd is the abnormal, else the one that comes up heavier is the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally03

I think it is supposed to be 8 marbles, or at the version I know consists of 8 marbles.
                You're the calc guy. How do you always know when this thread comes up?

And yea, I asked something like that question not that long ago.

That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

Comment

DG, it is basically because I read the forums but normally don't really have anything worthwhile to post except for when math questions pop up as I've spent way too many years studying the subject.

P.S. Impressive Damix, it hadn't occurred to me that the problem could work for 9 marbles before you posted your response.

How did I manage to make so damn many typing mistakes in such a simple little post that it required this many edits? I guess that is why I'm a math major and not an English major.

Comment

Weigh the first 3 against the 2nd 3, if they are equal then the heaviest one is in the 3rd group, if one comes up heavier, you know the heavier one is in that group.

Once you have it down to 3, pick 2 and then weigh them against each other, if they are equal then the 3rd is the abnormal, else the one that comes up heavier is the one.
                    Correct.

Comment

Correct.
                      Damix is on fire!

Go Ravens!

Comment

Change the title of this thread to Official Math Riddle Thread. I remember when official threads was against the law. Anyone else remember that?

Comment

Change the title of this thread to Official Math Riddle Thread. I remember when official threads was against the law. Anyone else remember that?
                          I do, that was funny.

That is correct comahan
                          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                          <3 dg

Comment

seven

Comment

I do, that was funny.
                              It was hilarious, there were official everything threads, then the rule was passed, then people started making unofficial threads.

Comment

I have some math competition tomorrow morning. Fantastic.

That is correct comahan
                                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                                <3 dg

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information