How much do you tip at Restaraunts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7-11 View Post
    Wow, i didn't realise wage conditions in the US were like that, that's pretty horrible really

I earn $14 an hour as a 19 year old trainee financial adviser, and i feel like i'm getting screwed because most of my friends who work in bars and the like earn from 16 to 30 an hour, and that's without any formal training or even experience
    Its not our minimum wage. our minimum wage for non-tipping jobs is currently 6.50 i believe. Because they make tips, restaurants are allowed to pay their wait staff at levels below minimum wage because the difference will be more than made up in tips. And no, there are no decent jobs that pay 6.50 around here. McDonalds pays that.

And $14 an hour isn't a good wage amount at all for a financial advisor position. For a job like that one would assume a salary amount with the rest made up in terms of commission.

And if we're talking about good money, with no skills needed. Work in a bar at a college campus. Friends of mine made around $400/night on Thursday-Saturday, and on gameday Saturdays they could rake in $600. Granted the hours suck.

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post
      Its not our minimum wage. our minimum wage for non-tipping jobs is currently 6.50 i believe. Because they make tips, restaurants are allowed to pay their wait staff at levels below minimum wage because the difference will be more than made up in tips. And no, there are no decent jobs that pay 6.50 around here. McDonalds pays that.

And $14 an hour isn't a good wage amount at all for a financial advisor position. For a job like that one would assume a salary amount with the rest made up in terms of commission.

And if we're talking about good money, with no skills needed. Work in a bar at a college campus. Friends of mine made around $400/night on Thursday-Saturday, and on gameday Saturdays they could rake in $600. Granted the hours suck.
      I know it's not good, it's absolutely terrible, i get **** off my mates all the time about how little i earn. But the job market in the financial sector here pretty much demands on the job experience before you finish your university degree, hence the need to get screwed over for a couple of years to cash in later. Anyway the wage dramatically increases when i turn 20, and 21 and so on, by the time i'm fully qualified (5 years from now, including 12 months travelling that they are giving me off) if i stay with the firm i'm with now ill be earning roughly a 6 figure salary so i'm not really complaining that hard

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
        I have wondered what is the difference between a waiter at a cheeper restaurant and one at an expensive place? They do the exact same thing but yet the waiter at the more expensive place gets a much higher tip because of the higher prices. It's blasphemy
        I've worked at a tourist trap restaurent (affordable family dining) and now work at a fine dining lounge and restaurent. At cheaper restaurents the service standards are far lower, most servers don't know every ingredient that goes into every app, main or desert (heck they probably don't know a quarter), they won't fill up your water or drinks wordlessly and efficiently, and they probably make mistakes every few tables. At the higher end restaurent I have to know every ingredient in every meal, know the wine list (more than 70 wines) completely, know a drink list of more than 50 drinks by memory, and be able to suggest wine pairings for everything on the menu. I have to be on top of every table because the fine dining industry isn't about turnover rate it's about providing a dining experience (i.e quality over quantity). Any mistakes even the slightest (i.e taking out food to a table that's been prepped wrong in the kitchen) are liable to have consequences from your superiors. Most servers I've seen/worked with at cheaper restaurents wouldn't be able to handle a higher end restaurent with different standards.
        10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
          Crap work? ... As a culinary professional and Chef I can assure you being a waiter is one of the EASIEST jobs vs. income around.

Waiters/waitress' at nice places make a LOT of money and do you know what they do? They set tables, smile, say a few words and carry plates. OH and dinner is typically provided, free.

I don't mean to make it sound simple but frankly.. it is. Any fairly attractive, charismatic person can do very well as a server... education matters zilch. And the money is good.

At a decent place they'll make $20 or so per table while making $7-8 an hour. Figuring an average of 6 tables a night (which is obscenely easy to deal with) and 5 8 hour shift that's over $31,000/year for a job that requires no particular skills, training, education, etc.

Plus, guess what..? Cooks rarely get paid significantly more, BASE, than servers.. and we don't get tips.. even though the food is the most important part of the experience.

I love servers, they're part of the dining scene and essential to it.. but please don't mistake them as having a hard break.

At a diner or some crappy place, maybe sorta, but at a fairly decent restaurant or club it's a cakewalk.

If you ever want to make easy money and are fairly attractive and charismatic, go apply for a waiting job at a country club. I work at one now as the lead cook/pseudo-chef and it destroys me how much money uneducated, pretty stupid people make on some nights. For holidays and events, which are a common occurence, they often pull in over $200 from tips alone. And these are people that didn't go to college. Don't have any skills. Aren't smart. Hell, they really aren't attractive or charismatic either (save one? and she makes crazy cash.)

...Sorry, got off subject!

I tip 20% for good waiting, 10% if it wasn't very good and nothing if they really mess up. After all, it's a tip... don't tip if they don't earn it.
          It isn't a hard job, but it is a ****** job. When you work in food service, people treat you like you are beneath them. The servers deserve every penny. People who go out to eat are often the most condescending pieces of **** you will ever meet. Especially at nice places.

I tip 15% for bad service, 20% for decent, and 25% for good. What can I say, I know how a 25% tip always brightened my day. The only time I tip less than 15% is if they are rude, or ignore me. There have probably only been 3 times in the past 4 years I have tipped less than 15%, and one of those I tipped nothing, he took 20 minutes to get our drinks, another 20 to take our order, and someone else brought our food out.
          I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by andyjo672 View Post

But you always get invited to all the after parties. Plus, easy access to any drug you want(if you are into that.) I really want to get a bartending job, but being around alcohol and having access to cheap alcohol that much will be very, very bad for me.
            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

im cheap only 10% and if the meal is not more then $20 i say forgot it

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                Pssh, cell phones? You guys need a Wizard.
                ah i only have a Willard. I usually tip 10-20% depending on the service. luckily here in CT minimum wage is 7.65 i think or maybe a little higher, cant remember right now.

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)

Comment

I go from 10-20% depending on service and if it round up to a whole number.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by DChess View Post
                    12-15%? jew
                    i really didnt think it was that low. if its good service its probably gonna be 15-20%. if its just average service than 12-15 seems fair enough.

hahahaha it does other things.

EDIT: heres one

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

"There's no sevens on these wizards!"

"I'm ruined!"

by BoneKrusher
                      <DG> how metal unseen
                      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
                        Well, I went to Ruth Chris' Steakhouse after a football championships last year and the final bill came to $2300, and the man who paid left a $500 tip. But no doubt, the higher class ther restaurant, then the more tips you will get.

Classier restaurant=Rich customers=higher tips.
                        = better service

Comment

I always tip between 40 and 45&#37;, and if the bill is 25 or less I give a 70 or 80% tip. I have always been very generous when it comes to tipping. I just put myself in their place and would hope that people would give me good tips if I had the same job as them. With bartenders im the same way. If I go into my corner bar and put like 40 down and im there for awhile and he takes care of me and after like 2 hours I still have 20. I just give him the 20. I hate cheap people with a passion so maybe the big tip that I give makes up for no tip or very little tip someone else gives.
                          Originally posted by nvot9
                          I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                          Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                          Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                          Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                          Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Originally posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
                            I always tip between 40 and 45%, and if the bill is 25 or less I give a 70 or 80% tip. I have always been very generous when it comes to tipping. I just put myself in their place and would hope that people would give me good tips if I had the same job as them. With bartenders im the same way. If I go into my corner bar and put like 40 down and im there for awhile and he takes care of me and after like 2 hours I still have 20. I just give him the 20. I hate cheap people with a passion so maybe the big tip that I give makes up for no tip or very little tip someone else gives.
                            Go to Ruby Tuesday's in Vero Beach.

Paul

New York Giants
                            New York Yankees
                            New York Knicks (unfortunately)
                            UConn Basketball
                            Virginia Tech Football
                            UConn Football

Comment

RyanLeaf#1 has rich parents. :D

Comment

Probably not enough.